PDA

View Full Version : Evil Avatar Radio: If At First You Don't Succeed, You Fail

Psykoboy2
10-16-2007, 01:44 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Psykoboy2/smalleye.png
Episode 78
"If At First You Donít Succeed, You Fail" (http://www.evilavatarradio.com/?p=117)

What more proof do you need that the cake is a lie than to hear directly from GLaDOS herself? Ellen McLain (http://www.northwestartists.org/em.htm), the voice of our new favorite rampant AI (and joined by husband John Patrick Lowrie - himself a noteworthy voice in the Half Life series), talks to EAR about finding her way into the head of a passive-aggressive, dominating construct. Weíre also joined by Jonathan Coulton (http://www.jonathancoulton.com/), geek-folk artist extraordinaire, and composer of Portalís inimitable credit-sequence ballad. If youíve had any exposure to Portal then you know what a treat this is. And speaking of treats, stay tuned as we take our first run at an uncensored after-show discussion.

Click here (http://www.evilavatarradio.com/audio/EAR.Episode78.mp3) for cake.

Suave Peanut
10-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Awesome! I tried to listen in last night, but the stream wasn't working for me. I also learned that I can not, in fact, pick up a Montgomery station up in Florence.

NationalKato
10-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Nice! I'm sure you'll thank her profusely from all of us gamers for her skilled work.

cp#
10-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Never listened to EAR before, very cool! Keep up the good work, guys!

Mot Wakorb
10-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Only suggestions: Less echo in the room, if you can, and get closer to the mic - going from the booth to whichever other room nuked both volume and added some hard to get past echo. Past that - I like the add-on content!

Psykoboy2
10-16-2007, 03:10 PM
That last bit is all experimental and will change from show to show and we nail down what we like. We're trying to keep ourselves from having to directly talk into the mic. When we talk freely like that, we like to wander around the room or whatever, not lean into something and then speak, ya know?

But thanks for the input, we are definitely interested in what people think of the add-on content.

cp#
10-16-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm surprised how little she knows about who she is in TF2. She's the count down lady. MISSION ENDS IN 60 SECONDS. YOU FAIL! Her husband said he was "some Australian guy." The sniper, dummy.

Mot Wakorb
10-16-2007, 03:34 PM
That last bit is all experimental and will change from show to show and we nail down what we like. We're trying to keep ourselves from having to directly talk into the mic. When we talk freely like that, we like to wander around the room or whatever, not lean into something and then speak, ya know?

But thanks for the input, we are definitely interested in what people think of the add-on content.

Stupid as this may sound - wireless mics perhaps for each person?

Psykoboy2
10-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Stupid as this may sound - wireless mics perhaps for each person?

There's a paypal donation button at evilavatarradio.com....

Get what I'm saying?

anakin876
10-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Whoa - 87 MB for the file versus 37-40 MB in the past. What happened? I thought the download was just extra slow - but the filesize is double. Different compression scheme? I didn't think the show was twice as long this time, I look forward to the goodness.

KingGorilla
10-16-2007, 03:47 PM
There's a paypal donation button at evilavatarradio.com....

Get what I'm saying?

Your gambling and prostitute addiction has resurfaced with a vengeance?

Psykoboy2
10-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Your gambling and prostitute addiction has resurfaced with a vengeance?

And the smack, but yeah, we don't have the funds for wireless mics. There's also the wired mics that clip to the clothing or whatever, but yeah, those cost too.

straximus
10-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Whoa - 87 MB for the file versus 37-40 MB in the past. What happened? I thought the download was just extra slow - but the filesize is double. Different compression scheme? I didn't think the show was twice as long this time, I look forward to the goodness.

Whoops. Looks like Scott converted the file to stereo upon adding the extra content. It'll be back to normal size next week. Posting duties were shifted all around this week between the extra material and my laptop being in the shop.

Kryopsis
10-16-2007, 06:47 PM
I only started listening to Evil Avatar Radio earlier today. I like it. I like it a lot, mostly for two reasons. First, it serves like a good rebuttal of the week's more note-worthy news items. Second, it's well presented: it is news with attitude. Before I listened to EvAv Radio I had a lot of prejudice towards the show but now you've got yourself a fan. When you're going to be purchased by EA and get renamed to "EA Avatar", you'll be sorely missed ;0).
What's with the swearing thing, though? Did you guys come under fire because of some previous statements?

anakin876
10-16-2007, 07:09 PM
I only started listening to Evil Avatar Radio earlier today. I like it. I like it a lot, mostly for two reasons. First, it serves like a good rebuttal of the week's more note-worthy news items. Second, it's well presented: it is news with attitude. Before I listened to EvAv Radio I had a lot of prejudice towards the show but now you've got yourself a fan. When you're going to be purchased by EA and get renamed to "EA Avatar", you'll be sorely missed ;0).
What's with the swearing thing, though? Did you guys come under fire because of some previous statements?

They broadcast over the Air in whatever city they are in - so they could "technically" swear in the podcast, but that would add another layer of difficulty.

Edit - this is probably the best place to post this - I seem to have been added to some sort of mailing list by the radio station they broadcast with. Today I got an email from the WACV producer Jay Davenport that was originally emailed from John Norris. I believe WACV is the radio station over which EvAv radio is broadcast. Anyone know what is up?

Psykoboy2
10-16-2007, 08:08 PM

The show is originally broadcast live from an actual radio station, so we fall under the regulations of the FCC. "Hell", "Ass"...garden variety, so to speak, are okay within limitations, but the big ones - if those get through the station could get fined, and well, you wouldn't hear us anymore.

Psykoboy2
10-16-2007, 08:17 PM
They broadcast over the Air in whatever city they are in - so they could "technically" swear in the podcast, but that would add another layer of difficulty.

The "added content" at the end of the podcast did add a bit of difficulty, but nothing we can't work out. So yes, you'll hear all manner of things, including the dirty words.

Edit - this is probably the best place to post this - I seem to have been added to some sort of mailing list by the radio station they broadcast with. Today I got an email from the WACV producer Jay Davenport that was originally emailed from John Norris. I believe WACV is the radio station over which EvAv radio is broadcast. Anyone know what is up?

I'd like to point you in the direction of Cyberdistration, as that is who Jay Davenport is. How he got your email I have no idea, but if you didn't give it to him you might ought to let him know and tell him to remove you from further mailings.

I should take this moment to let everyone know that we don't give out email addresses without YOUR consent. If you think we have, just let me know and give me the details, please. We really will not put up with that shit. Our listeners are too important as is the community we belong to.

Lon Lon Rabbit
10-16-2007, 11:52 PM
Holy crap, I don't normally get to listen live due to the time difference, so I don't even know when it matches up to me, but when I saw the guests this week I had to give it a go, that's why I joined just as it was ending, and I only just listened to the show now;

thanks for the big thread plug!

Uni's almost up for the year so I might be able to finally join in while you're on the air soon.

Psykoboy2
10-17-2007, 08:01 AM
thanks for the big thread plug!

I've done the massive thread thing once before with Burnout 3: Takedown and now again with Paradise. You sir, however, have gone above and beyond. Deserves recognition.

KingGorilla
10-17-2007, 08:08 AM
http://weightedcompanioncube.ytmnd.com/

Lon Lon Rabbit
10-17-2007, 09:20 AM
I've done the massive thread thing once before with Burnout 3: Takedown and now again with Paradise. You sir, however, have gone above and beyond. Deserves recognition.

Heh well I barely even post in it anymore aside from the daily updates, there's a bunch of great guys in there who are possibly anticipating the game even more than me who make the discussion what it is.

The update system really lends itself to mega threads, too, every weekday for about 6 months a tiny bit more info is trickled out...

Ten19
10-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Excellent show, was my first time checking it out, and will continue to do so for the subsequent ones!

Psykoboy2
10-17-2007, 09:32 AM
The update system really lends itself to mega threads, too, every weekday for about 6 months a tiny bit more info is trickled out...

Yeah, I don't have that luxury. However, I do have CrashFM - the Burnout Podcast, done by the guys working on the game. Every now and again they'll let a bit of info slip out on the show, but it's more fun to listen to then it is informative.

Sandman
10-17-2007, 11:55 AM
I got through the interview portions today; good stuff. That song gets in your head and never lets go. It's like the happiest death song ever.

Psykoboy2
10-17-2007, 12:18 PM
That song gets in your head and never lets go.

ALL of Coulton's songs do that.

TrackZero
10-17-2007, 08:02 PM
The show is originally broadcast live from an actual radio station, so we fall under the regulations of the FCC. "Hell", "Ass"...garden variety, so to speak, are okay within limitations, but the big ones - if those get through the station could get fined, and well, you wouldn't hear us anymore.

Hell is considered bad language? Oh you Americans are so cute sometimes.

fishbang
10-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Hell is considered bad language? Oh you Americans are so cute sometimes.

We're all pretty egregious potty-mouths, but we broadcast direct from the buckle on the the bible belt, here.

The locals are already angry enough that we interrupt a replay of the morning fascist report once a week.

Dog help us if they ever hear "Damn" or "Voxels" on the air. It'd be curtains, for sure.

Anaris82
10-17-2007, 10:37 PM
Christ.. Orange box has only been out for a week and you guys are already spoiling Portal. It may be short, but some people (myself included) don't even have the game yet.

Psykoboy2
10-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Christ.. Orange box has only been out for a week and you guys are already spoiling Portal. It may be short, but some people (myself included) don't even have the game yet.

That's like saying we spoiled Tetris. It's a puzzle game. Trust me when I tell you that we have spoiled nothing. And if I told you how we haven't, then I'd be spoiling it for you.