PDA

View Full Version : New Bionic Commando Coming [pc/360/ps3]

violentp
10-15-2007, 06:04 PM
According to Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6181070.html), a new Bionic Commando is in the works.

...Capcom has revealed to GameSpot that it is developing a new Bionic Commando game for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC. Simply called Bionic Commando, the new game will bring back the original game's hook (pun intended), with players able to use the main character's bionic grappling arm not only to navigate levels but to take out enemies at close range, rappel down sheer surfaces, or toss objects (like cars) at enemies.

Two things:
1. I loved the original Bionic Commando on the NES and have fond memories if it, never spoiled by lackluster iterations. I felt this once with Rygar.
2. If this turns out to be the super Capcom announcement, I will kick a 7 year old in the teeth.

eth3rton
10-15-2007, 06:45 PM
2. If this turns out to be the super Capcom announcement, I will kick a 7 year old in the teeth.[/i]

Living up to your name there VP.... :p

Switcher
10-15-2007, 06:50 PM
I am vomiting with rage over the lack of a Wii version.

Grifter
10-15-2007, 06:53 PM
What the fuck else are they going to announce? "On Nov. 16 we are sending 3 chimpanzees and a Super Street Fighter II Alpha Turbo Extreme machine to Mars in order to determine the effects of annual Brazilian rain fall on the California Pistachio trade."

If you ask me as far as game company announcements go one actually announcing what could be a really good game in development and one that is for the most part not quite a sequel is a positive in my book.

Grifter
10-15-2007, 06:55 PM
That's pretty wise, Capcom...I mean, all of the PC versions of your games have turned out awesome! So this is sure to be wise. Good idea. Yeah, it's awesome to make a PC version instead of say...I dunno...using any sort of MOTION SENSING CONTROLLERS for a GRAPPLING GUN! Cuz, that wouldn't work out well at all!

*sigh*

What the fuck are you talking about?

Would someone put this crack head back in his box?

violentp
10-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Here's my thing. The Capcom announcement was used to give faith in the company after the loss of Monster Hunter exclusivity on the PS3. This announcement needs to be Jesus-like in magnitude in order to live up to that claim. If it turns out to be this, then I need to reevaluate my position in this industry as some developers look at the consumers as an ocean of retard.

Switcher
10-15-2007, 06:59 PM
What the fuck are you talking about?

Would someone put this crack head back in his box?

Nice edit.

Anyway...

I've been anticipating Capcom's supposed announcement this week, and a remake of a franchise that boomed on the NES, all about a grappling hook weapon, would work, really, really, really well on the Wii.

But no, a PC version instead. All of Capcom's games that have had PC versions have been abysmal at best....so an announcement like this is just mind-boggling in it's stupidity.

violentp
10-15-2007, 06:59 PM
That was pretty fucking crazy Switcher.

EDIT: Ahh, upset over lack of Wii, not directly the PC. Gotcha. I think.

Grifter
10-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Nice edit.

Anyway...

I've been anticipating Capcom's supposed announcement this week, and a remake of a franchise that boomed on the NES, all about a grappling hook weapon, would work, really, really, really well on the Wii.

But no, a PC version instead. All of Capcom's games that have had PC versions have been abysmal at best....so an announcement like this is just mind-boggling in it's stupidity.

Yeah calling you an ass seemed a bit too derogatory, I only wanted a twist mean with a splash of humor

Ok, I read that as you wanting it to take advantage of the PS3 controller, you're still a crack head but you don't have to go back in the box. :)
I agree, a Wii version would be sweet. Maybe we will see an alternate version some time down the road. Let the team work on the more complicated engines first then tone it down and make a few changes for the Wii.

bean19
10-15-2007, 07:03 PM
I loved Bionic Commando, but it was on the NES. . . amazing for it's time, but I worry about how the game design will grow up.

Shodan2020
10-15-2007, 07:06 PM
As long as you get to splatter a ressurected Hitler at the end, I'll be pretty pleased. :)

Gorvi
10-15-2007, 07:07 PM
I'd like to see them really explore the whole grappling hook thing (very vertical levels, a good amount of exploration, etc...), and not make this just another shooter with a grappling hook tacked on to it. Lost Planet is great and all, but I want LP2 and this, and I'd like to see them be different enough for them not to feel to similar.

Grifter
10-15-2007, 07:07 PM
As long as you get to splatter a ressurected Hitler at the end, I'll be pretty pleased. :)

I wonder if we will actually get to beat this one.

torrefaction
10-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Oh god yes. Bionic Commando is all kinds of awesome.

Fuck it up and Die, Capcom, fuck it up and die.

Adam Blue
10-15-2007, 07:20 PM
What the fuck else are they going to announce? "On Nov. 16 we are sending 3 chimpanzees and a Super Street Fighter II Alpha Turbo Extreme machine to Mars in order to determine the effects of annual Brazilian rain fall on the California Pistachio trade."

If you ask me as far as game company announcements go one actually announcing what could be a really good game in development and one that is for the most part not quite a sequel is a positive in my book.

Probably an exclusive Resident Evil title on the PSP. And I mean a 3rd person over the shoulder RE.

WhiteCrow
10-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Ah, well. I was really hoping the the announcement would be along the lines of "Steel Battalion 2" or something, but Bionic Commando is pretty cool. I do have to concur that it is odd that it's not being targeted at the Wii, though.

Paranoia
10-15-2007, 07:26 PM
I take it a lot of PS3 only fans are pretty pissed.

Dr.Finger
10-15-2007, 07:34 PM
A new Bionic Commando fills me with equal parts glee and rage.

WastelandDan
10-15-2007, 07:39 PM
god I love Bionic Commando. They'd better not fuck this up.

Lekon
10-15-2007, 07:59 PM
A new Bionic Commando fills me with equal parts glee and rage.

I feel much the same way. Though its more hope and dread.

Hawggy
10-15-2007, 08:12 PM
This game's music still lives in, and can sometimes pop up, in my head. The game was great. I will just hope for the best and expect the worst. That way, I'll not feel cheated in any event of it's coming.

Stryfe01
10-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Told ya so. I've been taking surveys and crap about this for the past year. Hopefully they'll pick one of the designs I voted for and not the Metal Prince of Persia look.

violentp
10-15-2007, 08:27 PM
This is not Wednesdays announcement.

LilAbner
10-15-2007, 08:32 PM

I do have to say, although my Wii is my favorite dust collector right now, it is a crime this game isn't coming (or announced for) to Wii. If there was ever a perfect console for this game, it's Wii. Imagine using the nunchuck/Wiimote for your claw! Don't be surprised if Capcom also announces a Wii version later on.

TheFlyingOrc
10-15-2007, 08:34 PM
So they're cashing in on nostalgia? We have no idea if this will be anything close to good.

VTMarik
10-15-2007, 09:12 PM
Bionic Commando! Yay!

Now all we need is a decent remake of Double Dragon, a new BattleToads, and Mother 3.

Heretic Machine
10-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Bionic Commando! Yay!

Now all we need is a decent remake of Double Dragon, a new BattleToads, and Mother 3.

Well, there is a Mother 3. We're just never going to get it here in America, because JRPGs are appearently not successful enough here to localize it. Or at least, that is what Nintendo thinks, don't tell Square-Enix, Atlus, Konami, or most Sony-exclusive publishers.

violentp
10-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Well, there is a Mother 3. We're just never going to get it here in America, because JRPGs are appearently not successful enough here to localize it. Or at least, that is what Nintendo thinks, don't tell Square-Enix, Atlus, Konami, or most Sony-exclusive publishers.

If memory serves me correctly, I believe it came out in the UK on the GBA and one could easily be imported. In fact.....

jeffbax
10-15-2007, 09:42 PM
AWESOME. Glad to see Capcom is still showing traditional gaming love and not getting swept up in all this Wii nonsense.

Yeti
10-15-2007, 10:25 PM
kick fucking arse!!! This could be awesome!

Wolvie
10-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Bionic Commando? New? Xbox 360? Coming to? WHA??? *faints*

Kadoo
10-15-2007, 10:48 PM
When I first got my wii I was thinking about classic games that could be remade for the motion controls. Bionic Commando came to mind but I figured it would never happen. Maybe I was right.

Shodan2020
10-15-2007, 10:54 PM
I wonder if we will actually get to beat this one.

HITLER NO FUKKATSU 2: The RE-FUKKATSUNING! :)

VictorVonViolence
10-15-2007, 10:55 PM
yes YES!

GOD I hope they have Hitler again

Grimmjow
10-16-2007, 12:19 AM
2. If this turns out to be the super Capcom announcement, I will kick a 7 year old in the teeth.[/i]

HA!

I agree this best not be there motherfawking SUPER announcement. yeah,bionic commando is hawt but wtf is my SF4

TrackZero
10-16-2007, 12:24 AM
Excited and hope this game kicks some royal ass. But since it's Capcom, I'll play the waiting game. Since I don't own a Wii, I could care less about it missing from the list. But I feel for the Nintendo players on this one.

ElectricMonk
10-16-2007, 12:40 AM

That was my first thought too.. although with less vomit.

Manzy
10-16-2007, 01:02 AM
Wow...Bionic Commando...and not for the Wii...curses

mister_slim
10-16-2007, 01:09 AM
If memory serves me correctly, I believe it came out in the UK on the GBA and one could easily be imported. In fact.....

Don't lie to me like that.

menage
10-16-2007, 01:34 AM
The more Capcom games on my 360 the better. The more Japanese support the better period.:)

Ilikecapcom
10-16-2007, 02:18 AM
Capcom, by god, do the right thing!!!!!!!.....................SF4

Yeti
10-16-2007, 02:59 AM
Stttaaaa-leeeet Fllllighterrrr For! FTW.

Fucker had better not be PS3 exclusive or I'm gonna kick two 7 year olds in the teeth!

MacD
10-16-2007, 03:51 AM
Riiidge Raaacer!

GunJ
10-16-2007, 04:55 AM
Wait.....

So let me get this straight. We have CELL processor in PS3.
Ultra modern graphic cards and QuadCore processors - that could put PENTAGON's setups from a few years ago to shame.
Developer teams with HUNDREDS of creative people just itching to innovate.

And we get an announcement that a rehash of a 1987 arcade game is in the works.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME ?

The game that was played on 8-bit consoles TWENTY FUCKING YEARS ago is what is being delivered for the shiny PS3 (that promised to create "new fascinating worlds" ) ?

Oh sorry I forgot - they will bring new HOOK functionality. ... ... ...

WHAT ?

A bad joke , a bad bad joke.... This generation it's about graphics, quick buck, and re-creation. Innovation in games has been ritually murdered on Lord Mammon's altar.

fuickin sad

Abednigo
10-16-2007, 05:11 AM
I'm slightly disappointed in the lack of a Wii version. But I think what made Bionic Commando enjoyable was that it was a 2D platformer without the ability to jump. 20 years later, that logic seems odd (that a person can't jump), but it was awesome at the time and added such a great new dynamic to the platformer with all the Mario clones that were coming out. I spent weeks playing that, finally beating it and splattering Hitler's guts all over that helicopter (which was definitely gory for the time too).

But I have come to learn that rarely do games like this live up to the originals. The recent Rygar was disappointing and failed to capture the thrill of the NES original for me. The only game that gave me the same sense of awe as the originals was Metroid Prime. I'll wait and see how the PS3/360/PC versions turn out before I get too jealous.

Gorvi
10-16-2007, 05:27 AM
This isn't the big announcement according to Capcom (http://www.capcom.com/BBS/showpost.php?p=379721&postcount=15):
You saw one announcement today at Gamespot.

You will see another announcement at the countdown timer on Wednesday.

You'll see a slew of other announcements/updates after the media embargo lifts on Thursday/Friday or so.

Switcher
10-16-2007, 06:05 AM
Yeah Christian, and one of these other announcements better be Street Fighter related. You already have one strike, so make your other swings count.

TrackZero
10-16-2007, 06:09 AM
This isn't the big announcement according to Capcom (http://www.capcom.com/BBS/showpost.php?p=379721&postcount=15):

Thanks for pointing that out Gorvi.

Gorvi
10-16-2007, 06:20 AM
The official site (http://www.bioniccommando.com/) is up now. They're going to have a podcast (http://www.bioniccommando.com/en/podcasts) and you can submit questions for the devs, so that's pretty cool. There's 4 screens too, though they really don't show a whole hell of a lot.

Dukefrukem
10-16-2007, 06:41 AM

awesome!!!!!!!!!!

PathMaster
10-16-2007, 07:20 AM
Loved the original, hope this one does well.

lost
10-16-2007, 07:34 AM
They've renamed the bad guys the Imperials?

How boring...I mean the original name might be a bit daft but it's better that using that old one isn't it? Also, do we need another action hero called Nathan? Rad could be short for...Radstopher?

On the plus side, yeaah for grappling hooks. Best video game tool ever!

GameFlood Nathan
10-16-2007, 08:13 AM
Sorry to break up your thread, but has anyone here seen Super Joe?

edit:

Also, do we need another action hero called Nathan?

:mad:

Flatpicker
10-16-2007, 08:39 AM
This dosen't sound too promising based on the storyline at gamespot and the graphics.
So now we have a darker Commando, who was framed by his superiors and etc etc...

I want to believe, but enough with the darker reimaginings lately.

TheFlyingOrc
10-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Since the main character from the game is in Brawl, I think they may be trying to pull a Fire Emblem - sell the game by making the public know it exists.

Earthbound, in North America, actually sold pretty poorly, as I recall. It isn't a traditional jRPG in any sense, though.

TheFlyingOrc
10-16-2007, 08:58 AM
This dosen't sound too promising based on the storyline at gamespot and the graphics.
So now we have a darker Commando, who was framed by his superiors and etc etc...

I want to believe, but enough with the darker reimaginings lately.
But it did so well for Prince of Persia: Warrior Within! :rolleyes:

A "Darker" character does not suggest that this will be a good game.

Flatpicker
10-16-2007, 09:15 AM
But it did so well for Prince of Persia: Warrior Within! :rolleyes:

A "Darker" character does not suggest that this will be a good game.

Precisely. I'm so sick of the "darker" versions of established franchises.

Kamalot
10-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Put me in the camp that wnts a Bionic Commando on Wii, with pointer control for the grapple.

Hell, make it a side-scroller with the ability to point where you want to grapple and I would be super-happy.

II ZoiD II
10-16-2007, 10:27 AM
As long as they put in those wonderful green cans of goodness, and oh those amazing radio communications Ill purchase it. Bionic Commando was def my fave game on NES! Loved planning out how you would hit the other truck and change the game mode. CLASSIC GAME.

CptTripps
10-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Man, I loved the original sooooo much. Here's to hoping for a good transition to the latest tech.

StANTo
10-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Am I one of the few who actually played Bionic Commando on the spectrum and not on the NES? I look forward to this release.

Gorvi
10-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Am I one of the few who actually played Bionic Commando on the spectrum and not on the NES? I look forward to this release.
I played it on the Commodore 64. :)

MrPinchy
10-16-2007, 03:14 PM
I wonder how much they're going to borrow from the Lost Planet engine... Hopefully you get to do way more cooler stuff with the grappling hook.

Shodan2020
10-16-2007, 06:57 PM
They've renamed the bad guys the Imperials?

How boring...I mean the original name might be a bit daft but it's better that using that old one isn't it? Also, do we need another action hero called Nathan? Rad could be short for...Radstopher?

On the plus side, yeaah for grappling hooks. Best video game tool ever!

They totally should have stuck with "The Badds". :)

The Iron Weasel
10-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Theres some screens up at gamespot, I'm not sure this is going to be you know...good...

Kamalot
10-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Theres some screens up at gamespot, I'm not sure this is going to be you know...good...

Links?
Please...

eth3rton
10-17-2007, 02:21 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/ETH3RTON/bioniccommando6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/ETH3RTON/bioniccommando5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/ETH3RTON/bioniccommando4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/ETH3RTON/bioniccommando3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/ETH3RTON/bioniccommando2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/ETH3RTON/bioniccommando1.jpg

http://www.actiontrip.com/features/360/bioniccommando.phtml

Kamalot
10-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Hmmm. I very much do not know what to think from those screens. It sure isn't what I was expecting.

mister_slim
10-17-2007, 06:21 PM
That's like the gun equivalent of Cloud's sword.

Schnoogs
10-17-2007, 06:57 PM

Big surprise there

Schnoogs
10-17-2007, 06:59 PM
I loved Bionic Commando, but it was on the NES. . . amazing for it's time, but I worry about how the game design will grow up.

So was Metal Gear and Mario and today they're carrying entire systems on their backs

Kamalot
10-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Here's a link to the trailer that's apparently been leaked...

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=21934

eth3rton
10-18-2007, 03:58 AM
Here's a link to the trailer that's apparently been leaked...

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=21934

Spiderman 4's new direction...? :confused:

torrefaction
10-22-2007, 12:11 PM
This guys english sucks.

FORCES! Dormant since long!

*Edit*

That looks pretty good actually. It really does remind me of the original.