PDA

View Full Version : Etrian Odyssey 2 Announced (DS)

Kamalot
10-04-2007, 07:11 AM
IGN recently announced that Atlus will be releasing a sequel to the hardcore dungeon crawler Etrian Odyssey (http://ds.ign.com/articles/824/824625p1.html), this winter in Japan. Etrian Odyssey has been described as 'a challenging, ballsy, rewarding game that gives the otherwise stagnant RPG genre a swift, much-needed kick in the ass' and has quickly achieved a cult following.

Fans of the original can look forward to a true sequel with improvements in all areas, but a good amount of focus seems to be going into character creation. You now have 12 jobs to select from, up from the nine of the original. New types include Gunner and Pet, the latter letting you play in the form of bears and other animals.

Yuji Hyuga returns as character designer with monster design once again being handled by Makoto Nagasawa. And, of course, game sound legend Yuzo Koshiro is reprising his role for the sound part of the game.I love making maps.

Official site for the original title (http://www.atlus.com/etrian/)

Gorvi
10-04-2007, 07:13 AM
I saw this yesterday but didn't get a chance to post about it. You'll also be able to save while in dungeons, which is nice if you don't want to leave your DS in sleep mode. I'd love to see them add touch controls for menus while in battle.

51|RandoM
10-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Good news indeed. :)

violentp
10-04-2007, 07:31 AM
I have to admit, I failed to be enveloped by the first one.

agentgray
10-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Hm. Saw the first at Gamestop for $12. Almost got it, but I don't like blood coming out of my eyes.

Zacharai
10-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Awesome! EA is a great game — reminded me of playing the original Wizardry games, back in the day (on a monochrome monitor, no less). It's definitely a niche game, though, so don't just hear 'RPG' and sign up.

jpublic
10-04-2007, 08:15 AM
EO had so much going for it, but was critically marred by the brutal grind inherent in the gameplay. I'm all for making the game 'hardcore' as it claimed to be, but I feel the designers went overboard. Everything in the game - the main quests, the side missions, the jobs, all seemed to be designed to induce grinding behavior. Also, the poor enemy AI added to the grind, by making all boss fights a matter of luck - either they were easy or brutally impossible - so it became a matter of try&tryagain to beat them.

*Note - I only made it to the 4th Strata before I dropped this game.

zombiekiller13
10-04-2007, 08:37 AM
EO had so much going for it, but was critically marred by the brutal grind inherent in the gameplay. I'm all for making the game 'hardcore' as it claimed to be, but I feel the designers went overboard. Everything in the game - the main quests, the side missions, the jobs, all seemed to be designed to induce grinding behavior. Also, the poor enemy AI added to the grind, by making all boss fights a matter of luck - either they were easy or brutally impossible - so it became a matter of try&tryagain to beat them.

*Note - I only made it to the 4th Strata before I dropped this game.

Agreed. Also got bored of it after I figured out how you could farm those item points to get money. And running through an endless forest is cool and all, but maybe change up the scenery a bit. Now it's day, now it's night.

frederec
10-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Sure, it was a grind. But it was a fun little grind. I beat the game, but didn't finish the post-game dungeon, and I did enjoy it. Atlus seemed pretty happy with it, so I think there's a good chance they'll bring it over here. I'll be looking forward to it. Now if only I had more money than I could use, I'd pick up some of those EO figures. They were kinda cute.

stoosh95
10-04-2007, 09:26 AM
All in all, if you remember those old school apple ][ rpgs, this game is for you. There are some pain in the a$$ moments but for the most part its a great game. I've been playing this game for about 3 weeks now (only about an hour or so a day avg).

its worth the price.

Zander
10-04-2007, 09:39 AM
All in all, if you remember those old school apple ][ rpgs, this game is for you. There are some pain in the a$$ moments but for the most part its a great game. I've been playing this game for about 3 weeks now (only about an hour or so a day avg).

its worth the price.

This is how I felt as well. I very well remember the old school monochrome grinding RPGs so this felt like home to me. I ended up liking the game very much.

It's not for everyone though.

nnanji
10-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Fantastic news. EO was the best old-school RPG I've played in a long time. I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about the grinding though. Once I hit level 10 or so I was in cruise mode. Got everything I needed just doing the exploring.

Gaz
10-04-2007, 10:45 AM
SQUEEEE!

And other assorted phrases of delight. Great news, and hopefully this one will be deemed worthy of a European release too, instead of leaving people like me to importing it like the previous game.

51|RandoM
10-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Agreed. Also got bored of it after I figured out how you could farm those item points to get money. And running through an endless forest is cool and all, but maybe change up the scenery a bit. Now it's day, now it's night.

You do know that the "endless forest" is only the first strata, correct?
You do know that each strata is markedly different from the others, correct?

You didn't, but you do now.

The game isn't for everybody but your complaints are fabrications.

51|RandoM
10-04-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about the grinding though. Once I hit level 10 or so I was in cruise mode. Got everything I needed just doing the exploring.

Probably because they never made it to level 10 or out of the first strata.

Camel
10-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Most excellent. I absolutely loved EO, and map-making never got old to me.

I've been selling a lot of games recently and decided not to sell EO, but now that a sequel is coming out I don't mind parting with it.

Butter
10-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Let me just say. Super Kick Ass! The first one is awesome and i haope the second one is even half as good. BooYeah!!

KamaItachi
10-04-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm having a real yabba-dabba-doo time with the original at the moment, the first real love my DS has seen in a long, long time. Not very far into it, and the grinding process can get physically exhausting but for me it's too old school not to love. Reminds me of when I plugged weeks and months into Dungeon Master.

Spigot
10-04-2007, 07:59 PM
I absolutely adore the first EO and I'm someone who really doesn't like first person RPGs at all. The cartography aspect was fantastic and once you get past some of the early horribly evil fights with FOEs, it's a load of fun.

I played it daily for about 2 months, but it has fallen a bit by the wayside. I will likely get the sequel but I'd like to finish the first one before I do that, given how incredibly deep (literally) the game is.

Skyelan
10-04-2007, 08:01 PM
I fully admit that I didn't get as into EO as I wanted to, and there was so much I liked, it's just that slow-starts tend to kill games for me. Looking over the list of improvements in 2 though, I definitely think I'll be more into this. :D

YoungAlCapone
10-05-2007, 05:18 AM
Very good news indeed. I have dropped an obscene amount of hours into the first one, and still haven't finished it.

AversionFX
10-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Best thing I've read all day. I'm still playing through the original. It's tough as hell, but so incredibly fun when I actually have time to play.

Map-making and exploration are tons of fun.