PDA

View Full Version : The Grateful Dead Truckin' on into Rock Band

The Continental
09-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Rock Band (http://www.rockband.com/) appears to be adding a whole lotta jam band lovin' in the form of 18 master tracks from The Grateful Dead.
New York, NY - September 5, 2007- Harmonix, the leading developer of music-based games, MTV Games, a division of MTV Networks within Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), and Rhino Entertainment, a division of Warner Music Group (NYSE:WMG), announced a deal that will bring the legendary band Grateful Dead to the highly anticipated music videogame Rock Band. The iconic group is making 18 master recordings from its diverse catalog available as digitally distributed game levels following Rock Band's release this holiday season. Among the songs available will be the classic Dead tracks "Truckin'," "Uncle John's Band," "Touch of Grey," "Sugar Magnolia," and "Casey Jones."Full press release available here (http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/NYW06505092007-1.htm).

VTMarik
09-05-2007, 09:55 AM
And the scale tips further toward Rock Band over Guitar Hero III...

opusdeath
09-05-2007, 10:00 AM
I don't believe I've ever listened to any Grateful Dead stuff. Anyone point me in the direction of a good album?

On Rock Band I'm really excited by the apparent catalogue of music they appear to have at their disposal. They're attacking on 2 fronts, extra modes (bass, drum, voice) and more content.

Rain Dogs
09-05-2007, 10:11 AM
I don't believe I've ever listened to any Grateful Dead stuff. Anyone point me in the direction of a good album?

On Rock Band I'm really excited by the apparent catalogue of music they appear to have at their disposal. They're attacking on 2 fronts, extra modes (bass, drum, voice) and more content.
You'd probably recognize a lot of their songs - 'Playin' in the Band' probably comes to mind first. Unfortunately the Dead were more of a live band.... sort of like Phish... so their albums aren't particularly representative.

In any case, 'American Beauty' is a good place to start.... 'Anthem of the Sun' is pretty cool, and then any bootlegs or live stuff you can find.

Pretty awesome that they're in Rock Band - I get the feeling I'm going to spend WAY too much money on DLC for this game.

The Continental
09-05-2007, 10:12 AM
I don't believe I've ever listened to any Grateful Dead stuff. Anyone point me in the direction of a good album?They're kind of an acquired taste to tell you the truth. Truckin' is their most iconic song, while Touch of Grey was the most commercially successful. You might want to start with a couple of singles on iTunes to see if it's your bag.

trent0090
09-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Skeletons in the Closet is a good Dead album to start with. This one has some of the most well known songs, like my personal favorite Uncles John's Band.

Kamalot
09-05-2007, 10:38 AM
This is brilliant as the Dead are a fun time for everyone. I can see both young and old alike playing GD songs. Go Rock Band!

sleepbox
09-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Am Getttttttttttttttt!!!!!!

shaloop
09-05-2007, 11:28 AM
I don't even like the Dead and I still think that's great. Let the 'too high to play on Medium' jokes commence.

Bone
09-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Agreed, Skeletons from the Closet and American Beauty are their most accessible and beautiful albums.

Friend of the Devil is their best song ever, IMHO. Followed closely by Box of Rain and Brokedown Palace.

Camel
09-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Awesome. The only thing that would make it more awesome is if somehow we get to play Terrapin Station.

TERRAPIN!

Squidbot
09-05-2007, 12:27 PM
http://images.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/justforfun/images/gratefuldead_20070108135140.jpg

Bone
09-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Steal your face!! I haven't seen one of those t-shirts in awhile ;)

I forgot- Blues for Allah is an amazing, off-the-beaten-path album of theirs that I loved. Help on the Way is a beautiful track from that one.

Psykoboy2
09-05-2007, 01:15 PM
This fall Turd Hammock* plays the very best of The Grateful Dead!

*Website Coming Soon

Bahamut
09-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Well, at least this is a huge leap forward over the Nirvana announcement.

Jinglecarrot
09-05-2007, 03:17 PM
This is cool news it absolutely makes me want to pick this up. Hopefully the DLC will include a nice 40 min Space>Drums>Space jam :) Please Be Kind

Mantooth
09-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Does it come with a van load of hippies to dance in your living room and follow you around?

Johan
09-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Great (foggy) memories of the Dead.

Before I knew anything about them, I was sure they would suck. I can't believe how wrong I was.

I made the mistake, however, of seeing them in concert INDOORS. *hack--hack--contact high*

TeeCakes
09-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Pshaw, forget the Dead, how about some PHISH.

I'd pay however much money I need to be able to jam out Trey's Divided Sky guitar solo that goes on for, like, 5 years.

Rock Bandit
09-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Time to stock up on Reds, Vitamin C, and cocaine.

RestlessAvenger
09-05-2007, 07:54 PM

I'd pay however much money I need to be able to jam out Trey's Divided Sky guitar solo that goes on for, like, 5 years.
Thats some truth right there.
I prefer to think a bit bigger.
Just give me the full Lawn Boy album and and I'm get to go.

trent0090
09-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Time to stock up on Reds, Vitamin C, and cocaine.

Damn, that's the song that got into that band. Driving that train/ out of cocaine/ and you know that thought/ just crossed my mind/ (Sorry, I just like the band a lot.) It was one the of three bands I suggested on the write up they had, now they only need some Marley.

Bone
09-06-2007, 07:04 AM

I love Phish but honestly, they occupied a niche carved deeply by the Dead. The trail was blazed for them already.

TheFlyingOrc
09-06-2007, 07:45 AM
http://www.pbfcomics.com/archive/PBF189-Keep_on_Truckin.png

It is never a bad time to reference the Perry Bible Fellowship

RestlessAvenger
09-06-2007, 10:44 AM
I love Phish but honestly, they occupied a niche carved deeply by the Dead. The trail was blazed for them already.

Certainly they were strongly influenced by The Dead, and it is quite likely that they may not have been the same band, or even a band at all if it weren't for the Dead. Most popular music since Elvis treaded the same paths as those that came before.

Bone
09-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Definitely! I mean all music can be traced through its roots, but you have to also correlate the bands that pass the torch down. For instance, Wolfmother without Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath would not have happened.

Phish to me is Grateful Dead's lovechild. Not to say Phish doesn't get credit for bringing even more jazz influence to the jam-band genre, plus their lyrics are far more humorous. "Milly took the paper and sliced him on the nipple" stands out.