PDA

View Full Version : Wii hardware is capable of DVD playback

GunnyMo
08-20-2007, 09:42 AM
So it might not be a straight forward thing to get DVDs to play on your Wii. Some enterprising hackers found that with a mod chip and a boot CD their Wii will play a DVD just fine (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=170478).

The Wii DVD playback software comes in the form of a CD boot disc (you download and burn the software to a CD yourself). Inserting this CD into a Wii fitted with a mod-chip boots the Wii into a menu. Then you eject the CD, insert your DVD movie and the Wii springs into action as a fully capable DVD player.

Modding your Wii to play DVDs isn't advised (all sorts can go wrong) but this is good news because it proves that the only thing stopping your little white box from running DVD films is the lack of supporting software.

This throws up the possibility of someone like Datel, who made the import game-playing Freeloader on GameCube entirely without support or endorsement from Nintendo, may be able to make a boot disc that plays DVDs on normal un-modded Wii.
So this begs the question, Nintendo: if you put the hardware in the system why not support it with the software?

Of course, we all know playing DVDs on your modded Wii will lead you into a terrible underworld of smuggling and money laundering (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161704). Someone call ICE!

Lothair
08-20-2007, 09:46 AM
I always just assumed that they'd release a "DVD player" channel eventually for 500 points. Not that it really matters, though, as I've got about 4 things in my media center capable of playing DVDs without the Wii.

mkelehan
08-20-2007, 09:46 AM
So this begs the question, Nintendo: if you put the hardware in the system why not support it with the software?Because then they need to pay the DVD Consortium a fee for every Wii sold, when not everyone will use it. How many Wii owners do you think have no other DVD player?

My guess is we'll see DVD software on Wii Shop before the end of the year.

PathMaster
08-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Nice. I think many of us thought it was possible already. This kinda just confirms it. Although, how many of us will go through just lengths to play DVD's on this?

Sandman
08-20-2007, 09:54 AM
I honestly don't care. I've already got 2 dvd players in my 360 and PS3.

GunnyMo
08-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Nice. I think many of us thought it was possible already. This kinda just confirms it. Although, how many of us will go through just lengths to play DVD's on this?

That's the whole point, though. You shouldn't have to if they've put the hardware in the system.

They should at least make it something you can purchase if you want to play DVDs on your Wii (much like the remote/sensor for the Xbox). That way, Nintendo only has to pay the DVD fee on those that are bought and not on every system.

It just seems like a disservice to Nintendo fans.

Lothair
08-20-2007, 09:58 AM

My whole life, I've been a slave to putting DVDs into players horizontally. I tried propping my DVD player up on its side, but it just tipped over. And so I had to put in the DVD horizontally, and every time I did, a little bit more of me died. It got so bad, I had to crawl to the cabinet, fingernails digging into my palms in agony as I put that DVD in, silver side pointed down. Now, finally, there is a ray of hope in my anguished and pitiable existence: I can play DVDs on my Wii, vertically, as God intended.

Thank you, hacker dudes. Thank you.

TheFlyingOrc
08-20-2007, 10:00 AM
I honestly don't care. I've already got 2 dvd players in my 360 and PS3.

Wii is a bit more transportable.

I wish they would add it, plus the ability to run my cable through there, somehow. I love the way the menus work.

TrackZero
08-20-2007, 10:05 AM
So this begs the question, Nintendo: if you put the hardware in the system why not support it with the software?

Easily answered. It costs money for licensing. This is why MS also had all the hardware on the original xbox to do so, what they did it separated the software decoding keys in that hardware nub you attached for the remote (which is what this software mod for the Wii is).

Guaranteed Nintendo will be patching and disabling this ability now. Congrats Wii owners.

GunnyMo
08-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Guaranteed Nintendo will be patching and disabling this ability now. Congrats Wii owners.

Which will be hacked a few weeks after release. :p As I, and others, have said: Nintendo should make this a downloadable patch at their Wii store so those that want it can have it.

Lutheran
08-20-2007, 10:13 AM
I have 7 DVD players , but yes they should make it available to others who would want to use it in this fashion. Not everyone has the money for 2 systems but its hard to believe that anyone who owns a modern game console doesn't also have a dvd player..then again maybe they just have 1 and can now have a second one in their kids bedroom for 500 Wii points :)

GunnyMo
08-20-2007, 10:16 AM
..then again maybe they just have 1 and can now have a second one in their kids bedroom for 500 Wii points :)

Bingo! My Halo Xbox is the DVD player in my son's room when he isn't playing Burnout 3.

Telefrog
08-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Why the hell is anyone even concerned about the DVD playback capability on the Wii? I can understand the playback need/desire on the 360 and the PS3 for the upscaling, but on the Wii it seems like a complete waste of effort.

Lothair
08-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Why the hell is anyone even concerned about the DVD playback capability on the Wii? I can understand the playback need/desire on the 360 and the PS3 for the upscaling, but on the Wii it seems like a complete waste of effort.

I think the idea is that they really aren't. It seems as thought it would be relatively easy for Nintendo to put out a "DVD player" channel for 500 points, and call it a day. The fact that they haven't would seem to indicate that they've done the research and don't' think there's enough demand right now for DVD play on the Wii to justify the costs of developing a player and bringing it through the pipeline.

Silverbaine
08-20-2007, 10:24 AM
hrm... i want a system that will make me breakfast in the morning... Ultimate system indeed.

Nerv
08-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Normally, I'm the kind of person who says "who cares?" - I have like 6 devices that can play dvds already in my house - but the Wiimote makes this far more interesting.

Ph00p
08-20-2007, 10:55 AM
What pisses me off is that Nintendo came out and said they wanted to charge LESS at the retailers but didn't for some other reason, well fuck guys USE that extra money we were paying for our machines and get the licenses!

Orphiuchus
08-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Finally this news is spreading! Nintendo wont be able to keep pretending that some fucking hardware upgrade is necessary.

I actually do not have a single dvd player aside from my computer, and for some goddamn reason the base I'm on right now doesn't have a single dvd player for sale at the nex for less than $120.00(and thats a ps2). I need my wii to play dvds damnit, whats the hold up Nintendo?

TheFlyingOrc
08-20-2007, 11:01 AM
What pisses me off is that Nintendo came out and said they wanted to charge LESS at the retailers but didn't for some other reason, well fuck guys USE that extra money we were paying for our machines and get the licenses!

?
They're charging more to keep ahead of the demand curve. If the machine were $200, they would be completely impossible to find, not just very, very difficult.

pirateTITAN
08-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Of course its disabled.

What would happen to all teh little kiddy brains if a DVD rated anything over G was put in?

zrikz
08-20-2007, 11:24 AM
While I have a 360 and other dvd players I can use, I would buy the Wii dvd channel just to save space on a remote and not. Also the if the Wii were a dvd player, thats a very portable player / game station I can take places. Right now I use the 360 and if for some unknown reason any of my friends dont have a DVD player, I have to lug it around.

Bone
08-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Finally this news is spreading! Nintendo wont be able to keep pretending that some fucking hardware upgrade is necessary.
I don't think they ever pretended that. I think all they've said is that wasn't the route they were going with the Wii.

As others have said, licensing fees would increase the price of every Wii sold. OR, they could activate it over Wii Shop later for those who want it. I'm guessing the latter happens within the year.

Evil Avnovice
08-20-2007, 12:18 PM
I kinda wish they would release an update to allow DVD playback, for as much as I use my Wii. :(

Not that it's a deal breaker or anything.

Slack3r78
08-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Why is this in any way surprising?

The original Xbox can play back H.264 if it's hacked. That's more surprising than the Wii being able to play DVD/MPEG2.

Sazime
08-20-2007, 01:35 PM
My god. Ok, to cover everything I'm reading:

We don't need another DVD player.

Nintendo is saving money by not paying the DVD consortium.

If you feel hurt because Nintento wanted to save you and them money and knew that their console wouldn't sell any better at a $250 DVD player, then you need to lie down and die. Give up. Life gets worse than this.

KingGorilla
08-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Considering that consoles, generally, make very shitty DVD players, with little doubt that the retarded little brother, as far as hardware, would be one of the most god awful devices for the purpose...what idiot would use their Wii for movies?

TrackZero
08-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Which will be hacked a few weeks after release. :p As I, and others, have said: Nintendo should make this a downloadable patch at their Wii store so those that want it can have it.

For free? They're going to pay the millions of dollars in DVD licensing fees just to be nice? Sorry, that ain't going to happen.

boratika
08-21-2007, 08:10 AM
I'd buy it for 500points. It would make a fairly elegant and compact DVD player, that is easily moved from TV to TV.

Plus, you know, it already has a remote...

Bone
08-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Considering that consoles, generally, make very shitty DVD players, with little doubt that the retarded little brother, as far as hardware, would be one of the most god awful devices for the purpose...what idiot would use their Wii for movies?
If we're really being honest, the Wii is the uglier kid brother with amazing manual dexterity and artistic skills.

justin1278
08-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Actually Nintendo is coming out with a version of the Wii that plays DVD's later this year. They said that they can't add the DVD feature to the 2006 Wii's because there was more than just a firmware upgrade needed, but apparently this is not true..