PDA

View Full Version : Grab your gas masks, World War I is coming

GunnyMo
07-06-2007, 06:00 AM
Over at 1Up, a very familiar voice puts up word of a new WWI shooter (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160821) coming to consoles next year, To End All Wars.

It's no surprise that most gamers find the World War II era played out in video games after years of Call of Dutys, Medal of Honors, Brothers in Arms, and random other WW2 FPS games. Sensing that annoyance, developer Kuja -- that's the same folks working on Geometry Wars: Galaxies for those keeping track -- has announced a brand new first-person shooter taking place during World War I.
It will be interesting to see how they play out the Mustard Gas attacks and assaults through the bloody slaughterhouses of the No Man's Land.

Loki_09
07-06-2007, 06:14 AM
World War 1 sucked. Really, how interesting can they make months of trench warfare???

Lothair
07-06-2007, 06:21 AM
World War 1 sucked. Really, how interesting can they make months of trench warfare???

You could focus on any aspect of the war except the Western front. The Ottoman, Balkan, or Eastern fronts were all very fluid and could provide interesting background.

Of course, the publisher is British, which means it probably will focus on the western front, so we'll see.

GunnyMo
07-06-2007, 06:21 AM

lol that's the dumbest thing I've read on the internet in a long time. :p

Panthera
07-06-2007, 06:30 AM
Being British, they could choose something like Gallipoli, or any of the African conflicts, and so forth. And, on the other hand, there were many successful offenses in the western front of Europe. Even if the amount of territory gained was minimal, they could be interesting.

Loki_09
07-06-2007, 06:36 AM
lol that's the dumbest thing I've read on the internet in a long time. :p

Granted it wasnt the most eloquent and thoughtful response, but I highly doubt it was the dumbest thing you've read on the net in a long time. You should get out more. ;)

All I'm saying is WW1 is predominately know in the West for it's trench warfare, which just isnt as interesting as the battles from WW2, IMO. Could it potentially be a good game? Maybe. I commend the effort for geting away from France in the 40's, but I dont think it will appeal to the masses like the WW2 based shooter has.

NationalKato
07-06-2007, 06:38 AM

I assume you're pulling from personal experience? Yes, all those doughboys probably sat around in those trenches reading Emily Dickinson. How droll and lackadaisical.

ON PREVIEW: It seems you were being flippant. True, it may not be as immediate as the storming of Omaha Beach, but as the OP stated, with mustard gas and the sheer meatgrinding nature of WWI, I think there are experiences to be had that have not been rendered in a videogame to date.

Freak705
07-06-2007, 06:46 AM
Aha! I've wanted a WWI shooter for a while. Finally. :p

Shifter
07-06-2007, 06:46 AM
I've been waiting for a great WWI shooter for years. I've personally been to one of the old WWI battlefields in France, and it's incredible. Yes the trenches are there, but there are also massive craters from biplane and baloon bombardment (where they had to throw the bombs by hand if you can imagine), no man's lands, etc. basically a lunar landscape with no flat areas whatsoever. I can only imagine that a hardworking developer can find some great, sad, engaging and heroic stories to tell.

GunnyMo
07-06-2007, 06:49 AM
Granted it wasnt the most eloquent and thoughtful response, but I highly doubt it was the dumbest thing you've read on the net in a long time. You should get out more. ;)

lol yeah you're right. easi has you beat by a long shot. I'm a shut in, house husband, though, who gets his contact with the outside world through Blue's Clues, Wow Wow Wubbzy and Dora the Explorer (god, how I hate that beaner bitch lol). :D

Telefrog
07-06-2007, 06:55 AM
I'm going to be the asshole here and ask a silly question. How different will this really be from the World War II games that have come before it? Germans are still the enemy. The Brits are still the good guys. You're still fighting in european locations. You're still using rifles.

I would say that the only way to make this game unique would be to focus on the trench warfare and the meat-grinder approach to the war.

NationalKato
07-06-2007, 06:55 AM
Dora the Explorer

OFF TOPIC: Comedian Brian Regan has this funny bit about Dora where he asks who in the hell thought 'Dora the Explorer' rhymed? He figures it was the Kennedy household, "Hey, put on DorAH the ExplorAH!"

NationalKato
07-06-2007, 07:00 AM
How different will this really be from the World War II games that have come before it? Germans are still the enemy.

Well, it's not as simple as you make it. Locations, technology, the birth of air warfare, naval warfare...the differences are many, but it is still war. I think you'll find similarities across all wars.

Here's some reading (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWI) for you to see some of the options the devs have to make it unique.

Loki_09
07-06-2007, 07:01 AM
lol yeah you're right. easi has you beat by a long shot. I'm a shut in, house husband, though, who gets his contact with the outside world through Blue's Clues, Wow Wow Wubbzy and Dora the Explorer (god, how I hate that beaner bitch lol). :D

Ugh, sorry to hear that man. Early morning children shows could be the most unbearable daytime television known to man, barring the View.

Panthera
07-06-2007, 07:42 AM
I'm going to be the asshole here and ask a silly question. How different will this really be from the World War II games that have come before it? Germans are still the enemy. The Brits are still the good guys. You're still fighting in european locations. You're still using rifles.

I would say that the only way to make this game unique would be to focus on the trench warfare and the meat-grinder approach to the war.

I don't know if you've noticed, but in most WW2 games you're -not- using rifles. Even in the less arcade-like ones, such as Call of Duty, you're still switching to SMGs and semi-automatic rifles. I'd look forward to an action game with all bolt-action rifles.

XxSATANxX
07-06-2007, 07:50 AM

Blackadder....nuff said :p

mkelehan
07-06-2007, 07:56 AM
We already have a WWI shooter. It's called The Darkness.

OFF TOPIC: Comedian Brian Regan has this funny bit about Dora where he asks who in the hell thought 'Dora the Explorer' rhymed? He figures it was the Kennedy household, "Hey, put on DorAH the ExplorAH!"

I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map...

Oxonian
07-06-2007, 07:58 AM
I don't know if you've noticed, but in most WW2 games you're -not- using rifles. Even in the less arcade-like ones, such as Call of Duty, you're still switching to SMGs and semi-automatic rifles. I'd look forward to an action game with all bolt-action rifles.
Actually, this is a really great point.

World War I, at least the Western Front, was characterized by mass charges backed by artillery into machine-gun emplacements. Typically, the enemy machine guns wouldn't even be visible to the attackers; enfilading fire meant that the marching troops would not be running directly at their foes. Once across no-man's land, the soldier would have to make his way through the (hopefully destroyed) barbed wire, leap into the enemy trench, and use a trench broom or an entrenching tool to clear it.

It's not tactically complicated like World War II, where small squads of infantry would skirmish over diverse terrain. But it you could certainly get a nail-biting experience out of it. The only problem I see is that, if the game's at all realistic, your survival will be relatively independent of your actions: you're not supposed to duck and cover when people start shooting at you, but rather trust to luck.

Kefkataran
07-06-2007, 08:00 AM
It's a small step, but I'm much more interested in how this game turns out than Generic WW2 Shooter #453. Definitely gonna keep an eye out for it.

jacktion
07-06-2007, 08:05 AM
All I'm saying is WW1 is predominately know in the West for it's trench warfare,

Please don't try to speak for all of the West.

I think what you meant to say is that WW1 is predominantly known to Loki09 for its trench warfare.

The rest of us know that WW1 was very interesting and multifaceted and would make a kickass videogame.

Telefrog
07-06-2007, 08:19 AM
I know the difference between WWI and WWII. What I'm asking is how different will this game be from what we've seen before? Giving soldiers doughboy outfits and changing the guns to bolt action rifles is a cosmetic difference at best. I'm not trying to be obtuse, I'm really wondering what a game developer will do with a WWI game that they wouldn't have done in a WWII game?

I know this argument can regress infinitely. You could ask how is this different from shooting at Strogg with a plasma rifle? How is it different from blasting Covenant aliens with a bullpup? It just seems to me that from a game marketing perspective that WWI and WWII would be almost interchangeable.

If this is a game meant for consoles and the mainstream audience then you will need to have some trench warfare in it. It's just one of those iconic images that people have of WWI. From a level designer's standpoint, that's a complete nightmare.

Panthera
07-06-2007, 08:33 AM
I'm not sure how you can consider the balance of weapon damage/firing rate as well as the use of squads vs companies vs one man army to be entirely cosmetic changes.

Apex
07-06-2007, 08:44 AM
They didnt even spell the name of the studio right, it's Kuju (of which I work) not kuja!

GunnyMo
07-06-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm looking forward to a military shooter with just bolt action rifles and the only machine guns are water cooled, stationary beasts. :) Removing the spray and pray is a good thing.

Telefrog
07-06-2007, 08:52 AM
I'm not sure how you can consider the balance of weapon damage/firing rate as well as the use of squads vs companies vs one man army to be entirely cosmetic changes.

If every other weapon in the game is similarly "balanced" then it is a cosmetic change. As for your other example, did you not play Brothers In Arms, or the Russian levels in Call of Duty 2?

bKangy
07-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Stand up -> get gunned down by machine guns -> restart -> stand up -> collapse due to lack of nutrition -> restart -> stand up -> get gassed -> quit

Panthera
07-06-2007, 02:52 PM
-> ignorance

Kefkataran
07-06-2007, 05:02 PM
They didnt even spell the name of the studio right, it's Kuju (of which I work) not kuja!

Holy shit, that's really bad. Argh. I apologize -- I knew it's Kuju as well, and that's just a typo. I just did a story on Geometry Wars last week, so I was familiar with the studio. :(

JCtheMC
07-06-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm looking forward to a military shooter with just bolt action rifles and the only machine guns are water cooled, stationary beasts. :) Removing the spray and pray is a good thing.

You said it all. I hope they flesh out very diverse maps for the multiplayer aspect. If it looks the part, i'll be playing it.

EL CABONG
07-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Cool I was hopeing somebody would make an WWI game. WW2 has been done to death.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a new shooter based on the Korean war.

jwbxx
07-07-2007, 12:31 PM
I also wouldn't mind see a new shooter based on the Korean war.

We only make games where America clearly wins the war!

Imagine what would happen to this country if we had a plethora of games that showed that we can't win every conflict!

I'm still waiting for a FPS that makes you line up shoulder to shoulder with your allies, shoot a round off, and then charge into your enemies with bayonets.

EL CABONG
07-07-2007, 04:27 PM
We only make games where America clearly wins the war!

Imagine what would happen to this country if we had a plethora of games that showed that we can't win every conflict!

I'm still waiting for a FPS that makes you line up shoulder to shoulder with your allies, shoot a round off, and then charge into your enemies with bayonets.
A game loosely based on the Sharp books/tvmovies would be cool. Lots of bayoneting in the Napoleonic wars.