PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Katamari an XBox 360 Exclusive?

Dr.Finger
06-14-2007, 07:44 PM
Newsweek's N'Gai Croal (http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2007/06/14/how-microsoft-got-beautiful-katamari-exclusivity.aspx) brings word that the King of all Cosmos may be hanging his crown solely on 360s this time around.
But when a little birdie with good reason to know--and to gloat--informed us that the We Love Katamari sequel, Beautiful Katamari, would join the ranks of Xbox 360 exclusive titles, the pattern was impossible to deny. We've since confirmed that an exclusivity deal between Namco and Microsoft is very close to fruition, likely to be announced at the E3 Media and Business Summit in July. Namco is enjoying the warm embrace and ever-deepening ties with Microsoft, while Microsoft sees this as an opportunity to change the perception of Xbox 360 as the barracks for bald space marines and little else. Croal also claims that the game will eventually make its way onto the Playstation 3, but at this point, between Microsoft's agressive courting of Japanese developers and the PS3's lackluster sales, he expects more and more games to make similar moves.

(Thanks to D-Toid (http://www.destructoid.com/king-of-all-cosmos-gets-a-gamertag-beautiful-katamari-a-360-exclusive-33067.phtml))

fitbabits
06-14-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm constantly amazed and impressed at the strides Microsoft has made in recent years. Whatever they're doing, and however they're doing it, it's reaping major rewards.

Hemalin
06-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Whatever they're doing, and however they're doing it, it's reaping major rewards.
http://www.dirtymoneywatch.org/images/blog/5844684/DumpTruckMoney.jpg

Kamalot
06-14-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm constantly amazed and impressed at the strides Microsoft has made in recent years. Whatever they're doing, and however they're doing it, it's reaping major rewards.
While I agree, Microsoft's developer-friendly approach has been successful, I think most of the rewards have come more from Sony's total debacle this generation.

IrishWhiskey
06-14-2007, 08:12 PM
This isn't exactly going to be a huge development that shifts the tide in Japan, but I am impressed by the rate they've committed themselves to picking up exclusives and new developers. Yeah, its happening in part because Sony's dropping the ball. But its also because Microsoft wasn't kidding about trying to expand their library and court developers in the East.

Flatpicker
06-14-2007, 08:20 PM
I'll have more belief that Namco and Microsoft are deepening their ties when I see a AAA title go to the 360 first. Tekken 6 or perhaps a Xenosaga collection would be nice.
Not a Katamari fan.

Mal.Reynolds
06-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Doesnt look like my kinda game anyway ... doesnt matter to me

Texas Speed
06-14-2007, 08:29 PM
While I agree, Microsoft's developer-friendly approach has been successful, I think most of the rewards have come more from Sony's total debacle this generation.

That probably needed to happen if MS was going to gain any foothold at all. MS could have done everything right, but the PlayStation brand being the juggernaught is was/is, people would have gone that way regardless. With Sony off to a pretty rocky start this generation, MS took full advantage. I think we'll see some pretty interesting stuff in about six years.

Tricky Thumb
06-14-2007, 08:38 PM
I think it's definitely a blend of Sony messing shit up beyond belief and Microsoft doing just about everything they can think of to improve their stance in the Japanese market.

I do hope they keep it up and that Sony gets with the program soon enough to recover, because I miss the days when there were two systems with plenty to offer me.

Virtuoso
06-14-2007, 08:47 PM
That dump truck full of cash made me laugh so hard I coughed.

Shodan2020
06-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Cool, I shall be rolling again soon on the 360! I've loved the Katamari titles, so quirky, vibrant and crack-tastic.

Guy Mariano
06-14-2007, 09:24 PM

Major reward from this :D joke post?

Tyrant
06-14-2007, 09:38 PM
I'll have more belief that Namco and Microsoft are deepening their ties when I see a AAA title go to the 360 first. Tekken 6 or perhaps a Xenosaga collection would be nice.
Not a Katamari fan.

Am I the only one who laughed?

Johan
06-14-2007, 09:51 PM
http://www.dirtymoneywatch.org/images/blog/5844684/DumpTruckMoney.jpg

I laughed out loud.

It's even funnier looking at the web address. "dirty money!" :D That's great!

cp#
06-15-2007, 12:24 AM
Wii and Sixaxis controls just make sense though

menage
06-15-2007, 02:25 AM

Good point, if there's one game that would be suitable for a port it would be Katamari. But hey, maybe thta's just MS preventing good dhit from happening on other machines.

D.D.D.
06-15-2007, 02:27 AM

Yeah they do but the 1st two games worked real nice with dual analog sticks too. :)

Skyelan
06-15-2007, 02:31 AM
Not a Katamari fan.

Yeah, it's not like fucking Ace Combat has gone Xbox exclusive (Or just timed if it ends up not exclusive, thus getting it first) or anything. :rolleyes:

Edit: Upon further checking, it's definitely timed. But the point stands, as 360 gets it first.

Yellowman
06-15-2007, 03:57 AM
Good point, if there's one game that would be suitable for a port it would be Katamari. But hey, maybe thta's just MS preventing good dhit from happening on other machines.

Ah the old Microsoft method of dealing with competition!

bapenguin
06-15-2007, 05:45 AM
Eh...I just didn't care for the Katamari games. They were fun for 15 minutes or so, then I just didn't care anymore.

Gorvi
06-15-2007, 05:54 AM
I haven't played a Katamari game yet, and it looks like this won't be the first. Kinda sucks.

TheFlyingOrc
06-15-2007, 07:49 AM
Eh...I just didn't care for the Katamari games. They were fun for 15 minutes or so, then I just didn't care anymore.
CONFIRMED! Bapenguin has no soul, and hates fun.

And yeah, this just screams "Wii game" to me. I think they should port it.

Xzyliac Noise
06-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Wanna bet this is when MS announces their motion sensing controller? It'd be perfect! It's been rumored long enough this could be the title showing it off.

Stinking Kevin
06-15-2007, 08:13 AM
I haven't played a Katamari game yet, and it looks like this won't be the first. Kinda sucks.

If you haven't played it, how do you know it "kinda sucks?" Or are you saying it "kinda sucks" that you won't be playing this one? (Maybe you don't play on PS2, PSP, or X360?)

That post was…kinda vague.

Gorvi
06-15-2007, 08:14 AM
If you haven't played it, how do you know it "kinda sucks?" Or are you saying it "kinda sucks" that you won't be playing this one? (Maybe you don't play on PS2, PSP, or X360?)

That post was…kinda vague.
Sucks because I won't be picking this one up. The games looked interesting, but I never got around to them.

Johan
06-15-2007, 08:17 AM
I never got around to them.

I am shocked!

Of course, I STILL don't own a PS2, which is truly shocking. I think I'm the last person in the developed world without one. ;)

divinechaos
06-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Wii and Sixaxis SHOULD work but I think it would annoying as hell. Give me the dual analog sticks, a control style that I KNOW works. And about timed exclusives, don't most games that come out after the first version has been released play better? The one game that sticks out is GTA. They came out for the PS2 first but the Xbox versions were loads better, it may be about the hardware but I think the system that gets it last for the most part gets the better version.

Rune_74
06-15-2007, 09:06 AM

Or you could just be like almost everyone else and get a 360, sure you could tradein your ps3 for one. Not sure what a ps3 is worth anymore though...

Gorvi
06-15-2007, 09:11 AM
Or you could just be like almost everyone else and get a 360, sure you could tradein your ps3 for one. Not sure what a ps3 is worth anymore though...
Yep, I want to be like everyone else. :rolleyes:

Sorry, man, just not interested. The 360 has some great games, but I prefer Sony's first party to MS's.

Skyelan
06-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Yep, I want to be like everyone else. :rolleyes:

Sorry, man, just not interested. The 360 has some great games, but I prefer Sony's first party to MS's.

Regardless of morons, I do heavily suggest continuing to try and hunt down one of the two PS2 games. They're very much worth it, though perhaps We <3 slightly more, if only because it's easier to find and in turn the whole 'It was a budget game' aspect more likely to be passed on. Or at the absolute least, rent. :p

Gorvi
06-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Regardless of morons, I do heavily suggest continuing to try and hunt down one of the two PS2 games. They're very much worth it, though perhaps We <3 slightly more, if only because it's easier to find and in turn the whole 'It was a budget game' aspect more likely to be passed on. Or at the absolute least, rent. :p
Yeah, I've been meaning to, but I've got so many games that I'd love to pick up, that it's kinda far down on the list. Hell, I still haven't played Twilight Princess, and Zelda is one of my favorite series out there. And here I am probably getting Etrian Odyssey this weekend, so I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon.

ferrarimanf355
06-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Why couldn't MS use this exclusivity money on Time Crisis? I love that series... :)