PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2 (PC) XP Compatiblity Files Coming

fitbabits
06-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Yep, you read it right...

Wow, here's some interesting news... Falling Leaf Systems has announced that they will be providing compatibility software that will allow Halo 2, an exclusive Vista title, to run on Windows XP. If you order Halo 2 through their site, you'll get the compatibility libraries FREE when they're released (current estimate is July). Not sure how they plan to make any money... but this seems like a pretty cool thing for folks who'd love to play Halo 2, but can't justify the shift to Vista right now.
Source - Halo.Bungie.Org (http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=18626).

Thanks to saulob for the heads-up.

Adam Blue
06-09-2007, 09:34 PM
I guess they were on track then. I figured there would be a delay or two.

violentp
06-09-2007, 09:35 PM
So wait. A Vista only title on XP? Madness.

Arthen
06-09-2007, 09:49 PM
hrm.. I wonder if they will get the LIVE libraries to work. As much fun as it would be to play Halo and shadowrun on XP either game without LIVE would pretty much suck.

Apache
06-09-2007, 09:50 PM
they can't even get the legit Vista version working properly on live. don't hold your breath.

saulob
06-09-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm crazy to play that game... I don't have an Xbox, X360 or even Vista... so.. that's my last hope :D

Great....

karak
06-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Unlike most other people here it seems, I actually loved Halo 2. So this is only good news for me.

Hemalin
06-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Huh, they also plan to do the same thing with Shadowrun. It also sounds like they plan on trying to get DirectX 10 working on XP.

Rambilin
06-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Any odds on if MS will stop them or not?

digitalErich
06-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Any odds on if MS will stop them or not?
'Working' doesn't necessarily imply that you'll get all the DX10 goodies, just that the game will run.

daps83777
06-09-2007, 11:06 PM
hrm.. I wonder if they will get the LIVE libraries to work. As much fun as it would be to play Halo and shadowrun on XP either game without LIVE would pretty much suck.

except for pc gamers having to pay for stuff that is traditionally free for pc gamers all but insures that live will fail on windows regardless of it being on vista or xp. it being only on vista makes things worse.

Ravenlock
06-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Heh. This smacks of the "XP exclusive" UT maps that were released with the UT bonus packs when WinXP came out. Yeah, those stayed "exclusive" for about a week, if I recall.

Given how generally poor the reviews have been - not of Halo 2, but of the Halo 2 experience on Vista given how old the game is - I can't imagine it moved that many copies of Vista anyhow. But it's nice to know that when it hits the bargain bin I'll be able to play it in XP.

Evil Avatar
06-09-2007, 11:10 PM
I think that there is a crack out already that does this. So, now some company is going to repackage some pirate groups crack and sell it?

Evil Avatar
06-09-2007, 11:11 PM
'Working' doesn't necessarily imply that you'll get all the DX10 goodies, just that the game will run.

What DirectX 10 goodies? This title doesn't use DirectX10, it was written for the Xbox, which is like DirectX9.0c at best.

Adam Blue
06-09-2007, 11:24 PM
I think that there is a crack out already that does this. So, now some company is going to repackage some pirate groups crack and sell it?

I need a link. I thought I was keeping track of this stuff...but maybe not.

Apache
06-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Getting the single player to run is probably easy. Getting into live to play multi is really the only point to getting the game on a computer.

LiquidRain
06-10-2007, 12:02 AM
What DirectX 10 goodies? This title doesn't use DirectX10, it was written for the Xbox, which is like DirectX9.0c at best.
Xbox 1 had a GeForce 3 class GPU at heart, which puts it at DirectX 8.

Phanto
06-10-2007, 12:56 AM
So wait. A Vista only title on XP? Madness.

Thats not all, I heard sometime ago that a group is supposedly going to bring DX10 to XP, true or not only time will tell but one thing is for sure...anything is possible in this world & life.

H.Bogard
06-10-2007, 01:12 AM
Woulda taken more than a 3 year old Xbox game to make me switch to Vista anyway, I might just be checking this out on XP now.

chowweekly
06-10-2007, 02:00 AM
Woulda taken more than a 3 year old Xbox game to make me switch to Vista anyway, I might just be checking this out on XP now.

QFT, I bet this will actually really help sales of Halo 2. Maybe their great Vista selling point should have been a simultaneous release of Halo 3 on the 360 and PC. I guess it wouldn't matter though because the game wouldn't work anyway. Hey, maybe they'll launch Halo 3 PC along with Service Pack 1. :)

Sarconix
06-10-2007, 02:21 AM
Xbox 1 had a GeForce 3 class GPU at heart, which puts it at DirectX 8.

This is about right. The Xbox GPU is the NV2A which supports some variation on DirectX 8.1 (late 2001). However, Halo 2 for Vista uses more graphics capabilities, at least into DirectX 9, and is it possible (though highly unlikely) that it is doing something that can only be done with DirectX 10.

For comparison, the Xbox 360 GPU is Xenos, similar to the ATI R500, which is capable of DirectX 9.0c functionality (Shader Model 3.0). I doubt that MS did anything to Halo 2 for Vista that couldn't be done on an Xbox 360.

Arthen
06-10-2007, 02:56 AM
except for pc gamers having to pay for stuff that is traditionally free for pc gamers all but insures that live will fail on windows regardless of it being on vista or xp. it being only on vista makes things worse.

Its more that I already have an xbox... so Live on windows IS free.

LilAbner
06-10-2007, 05:26 AM
Cease and desist, ho!

51|RandoM
06-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Just buy Vista, resistance is futile, you will be ass-immolated.

Pretzel
06-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Just buy Vista, resistance is futile, you will be ass-immolated.

Nah. Just wait until you buy a new system. Installing Vista on your current machine is like down-clocking it. Everything feels slower. At least with a new system you won't know the difference.

zim2411
06-10-2007, 07:59 PM
It's not even worth it. Once again Bungie dropped the ball on the port and it runs terribly for the visuals it outputs. The novelty of shading/bump mapping everything got to their heads. Sound design is poor too. I wanted to feel every gun shot with my setup. With Half-Life 2 I can, Halo 2's sound design is just all muddled together. Poor stuff.

:(

LiquidRain
06-10-2007, 08:41 PM
It's not even worth it. Once again Bungie dropped the ball on the port and it runs terribly for the visuals it outputs. The novelty of shading/bump mapping everything got to their heads. Sound design is poor too. I wanted to feel every gun shot with my setup. With Half-Life 2 I can, Halo 2's sound design is just all muddled together. Poor stuff.

:(
To be fair, it wasn't exactly Bungie who did it. At least according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_2#Windows_Vista_version).

And Half-Life 2 has the most amazing sound design of any game ever. :D

cyberthug47
06-12-2007, 11:27 PM
i installed vista on my laptop outta curiosity to play halo2. I found that vista is not as efficient as xp imo. the system ran and responded slower than xp yaddy yaddy ya. as for halo 2 , i played the first level nice graphics but was highly dissapointed in the overall chopiness of the game it seemed "laggy" the whole way through, even with teh graphice cranked all the way down. system specs are dual core 2ghz x1400 256mb ati card 2 gigs of ram. this machine is supposed to be more then capable of running halo2 but had a very difficult time. Also for you whiners out there that wanna complain about laptops, my desktop could not run it as well. it is a p4 64bit edition 3.2ghz 2gigs ram and an x1300 256mb ati pci-xpress card. It had the exact same problems. i have also read of many other people experiancing the same problems with even better graphics cards. As for the whole "vista only" concept i feel ms screwed up! should have allowed h2 to work with xp right outta the box and released h3 pc for vista only. would have made more sense to me seeing as us pc users have been waiting FOREVER to have h2 come to the pc.

Ancalagon
06-13-2007, 02:19 AM
i installed vista on my laptop outta curiosity to play halo2. I found that vista is not as efficient as xp imo. the system ran and responded slower than xp yaddy yaddy ya. as for halo 2 , i played the first level nice graphics but was highly dissapointed in the overall chopiness of the game it seemed "laggy" the whole way through, even with teh graphice cranked all the way down. system specs are dual core 2ghz x1400 256mb ati card 2 gigs of ram. this machine is supposed to be more then capable of running halo2 but had a very difficult time. Also for you whiners out there that wanna complain about laptops, my desktop could not run it as well. it is a p4 64bit edition 3.2ghz 2gigs ram and an x1300 256mb ati pci-xpress card. It had the exact same problems. i have also read of many other people experiancing the same problems with even better graphics cards. As for the whole "vista only" concept i feel ms screwed up! should have allowed h2 to work with xp right outta the box and released h3 pc for vista only. would have made more sense to me seeing as us pc users have been waiting FOREVER to have h2 come to the pc.

Never played H2 but I remember H1 ran like ass, especially with specular effects enabled.

I dont know how they manage to do it - they have a 3 year old game that literally ran on x86 hardware including a modified geforce 3. Port that over to far more advanced x86 computers and it runs like shite. Cant they do anything right?

Its just pure laziness, the GTA games were largely the same - no reason for their poor performance given how crap the graphics were.

has their ever been a game that was ported from console to PC that didnt suck? games like shadowrun and the nfs games were developed simultaneously for multiple platforms so they dont count.