PDA

View Full Version : Fatal Fury: Battle Archives Volume 1 Announced for PS2

fitbabits
05-31-2007, 06:09 AM
Official Press Release:

SNK PLAYMORE USA CORPORATION, the U.S. publishing arm of the SNK PLAYMORE CORPORATION, today announced FATAL FURY: BATTLE ARCHIVES Volume 1 for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system.

FATAL FURY: BATTLE ARCHIVES Volume 1 will include four classic FATAL FURY games: FATAL FURY 1, FATAL FURY 2, FATAL FURY 3 and FATAL FURY SPECIAL. The compilation's release will mark the first time FATAL FURY has appeared on the PlayStation®2 system in North America.

The FATAL FURY series was SNK's first ongoing fighting-game franchise, and many beloved SNK characters and locations made their first appearances in FATAL FURY. FATAL FURY 1 was the first fighting game to feature a two-plane system, allowing characters to dodge out of harm's way when confronted with a challenger's attacks.

"With the release of FATAL FURY: BATTLE ARCHIVES Volume 1 for the PlayStation®2 system, a brand-new generation of gamers will be introduced to one of SNK PLAYMORE's fighting classics," said Ben Herman, president of SNK PLAYMORE USA CORPORATION, "and gamers who loved playing FATAL FURY in the arcades will relish the chance to revisit the golden age of 2D fighters."

FATAL FURY: BATTLE ARCHIVES Volume 1 will be available for the PlayStation®2 system in summer 2007.
Sweet! I may have to get this for myself in order to relive some old memories.

Mista Mafiosi
05-31-2007, 06:16 AM
I wish someone would take the most comprehensive mugen emulator out there and just create game with it. DLC be damned

Rambilin
05-31-2007, 06:48 AM
That should be a blast, Special just sort of had everything right. From hidden characters to the oversized sprites. Surprised no Real Bouts or Mark of the Wolves on it though.

captainspankypants
05-31-2007, 08:05 AM
I would have preferred a straight port of the Mark of the Wolves PS2 game in Japan. Fatal Fury 1, for example, has not aged well at all.

Estarriol
05-31-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm a huge SNK 2D fighter fan, but this set just won't be worth it without Mark of the Wolves

Taiso
05-31-2007, 09:46 AM
A little clarification on this release if it helps some of the forum members with some background details. No, I don't work for SNK. I've owned a Neo Geo since 1994 and have 24 home carts for it. I'm a HUGE, HUGE SNK mark, so I've kept up with that company over the years. Yes, I own these games for my Neo home cart system, bought the import PS2 versions and will buy the US PS2 versions. I am a fan with too much love and too much money and that is a deadly combination for the pocketbook sometimes:P

Garou: Mark Of The Wolves isn't really considered 'the next Fatal Fury game'. It was always intended to be the first of a new series of games connected with Fatal Fury's backstory but really focusing on Rock Howard (son of Geese Howard) and his relationship with the man that killed his father, Terry Bogard. There have been rumors forever about a sequel to Garou. May come, may not. At any rate, Garou being included in this compilation wouldn't make any sense since the two 'Battle Archives' collections are split into two distinct sets of titles:

Fatal Fury Battle Archives vol. 1 is all of the games that are considered 'Fatal Fury' titles. That would be, in order of release, Fatal Fury (not a very good fighting game but has a killer soundtrack and had 2 player versus CPU opponent before Street Fighter Alpha was even an itch in Capcom's pants), Fatal Fury 2 (FUCKING HARD GAME), Fatal Fury Special (better than FF 2 in every way, and I believe that FFS is the first time a video game has ever had a 'dream match' style crossover battle with another video game-in this case, the hidden Ryo Sakazaki from Art Of Fighting) and Fatal Fury 3 (VASTLY, VASTLY UNDERRATED). This has been out in Japan for a while now.

Fatal Fury Battle Archives vol. 2 is all of the games that are considered 'Real Bout' titles but are also part of the 'Fatal Fury' series. This would include Real Bout Fatal Fury, Real Bout Special and Real Bout 2, all of which are a lot of fun due to the flowing chain combo dependent battle systems. The chain combo system is probably also why they aren't considered great competition style fighters. Great aesthetics (music, backgrounds, character graphics, animation) abound in these. The phrase 'Real Bout' comes from the name of a shop in Hwa Jai's background from the first Fatal Fury ('Real Bout Shop', if memory serves correctly). This is a recent release in Japan. Let's hope that that the US sales of the first volume are enough to justify a release of the second volume. While FF Special is largely considered to be the high water mark of the series for competitive play, the Real Bout games are hella fun.

I know that Garou's chances of getting a US release on the PS2 were slim since Sony likes to be a bich about 2D releases. Sony has always had this irrational fear that their system would look inferior or not live up to its reputation if too many 2D titles were released over here, so they've traditionally had a stingy policy against 2D releases on US shores. At the very least, they demand that multiple 2D titles be packed in to a single release before they'll even consider it. This has always been a sore spot for fans of 2D fighters on the PS2 like myself. However, since the PS2 is in its final phase, perhaps Sony is easing up on their stance since extending the console's life through a series of budget releases near the end of its cycle is probably smart business. And that's to say nothing of the good will it helps build up in the fan community that has largely bashed the shit out of them for their arrogance, especially where it concerns the PS3 (but not limited to that). So maybe a Garou release is possible. Let's hope so. It's definitely one of SNK's best looking titles ever, along with the two Last Blade games and Art Of Fighting 3.

Oh, and FYI (semi unrelated): King Of Fighters XI has been approved for a US release too. I imported this title too and loved it. It'll be nice to be able to read the text on the screen now. But I don't feel too bad about buying this one twice since it was an Atomiswave release in the arcades and not a NEO homecart.

Also semi unrelated: The Art Of Fighting anthology is out for the PS2 domestically right now, for those of you that care.

Again, I PROMISE you I'm not a shill. I just love SNK like no other game company and want them to do well so we can keep getting more stuff from overseas released over here. Now, if only they'd shake their tails and start setting us up with the FIXED Card Fighter DS carts.

ferrarimanf355
05-31-2007, 09:59 AM
I want a PSP version of this game and the AOF anthology. Make it happen, SNKP!

Rambilin
05-31-2007, 02:53 PM
AOF Anthology is out you can get it for $20 at the gamestores.

bardockkun
05-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Oh, and FYI (semi unrelated): King Of Fighters XI has been approved for a US release too. I imported this title too and loved it. It'll be nice to be able to read the text on the screen now. But I don't feel too bad about buying this one twice since it was an Atomiswave release in the arcades and not a NEO homecart.
Really? I haven't even heard that. Any source on where you heard this?

And Art of Fighting is actually $15 at most places new. Since at Toys R Us it's the MSRP along with other websites.

Rambilin
05-31-2007, 07:17 PM
Add Neo Geo Battle Coliseum to the SNK Playmore PS2 release list. Which is great as I don't have a modded PS2 or Atomswave board.

Johnny Internet
05-31-2007, 10:52 PM
FF: Battle Archives sounds good and I might pick it up, but for me...

Oh, and FYI (semi unrelated): King Of Fighters XI has been approved for a US release too.
This completely overshadowed the news of FF:BA. Both the US (and you folks in Europeland, however you'll be getting it sooner) have gone far too long without this game, but the price it's set at makes up the amount of time it took.

Taiso
06-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Really? I haven't even heard that. Any source on where you heard this?

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.snkplaymoreusa.com/in-development.php

No release date has been announced for KOF XI or NGBC but they're definitely on SNKP USA's 'to do' list based on this info from their official site.

ferrarimanf355
06-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.snkplaymoreusa.com/in-development.php

No release date has been announced for KOF XI or NGBC but they're definitely on SNKP USA's 'to do' list based on this info from their official site.
I really want those games for the PSP. My PSP is getting some use for classics compilations- Namco Museum, EA Replay and Sega Genesis Collection, and I've been meaning to get the two Capcom Classics Collection titles, Power Stone Collection, and the Activision Anthology collection.