PDA

View Full Version : WoW Patch 2.1.0 Available

GunnyMo
05-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Today is the big day for all of us WoW geeks. Long server down times (including a number of servers down several hours longer for hardware upgrades) are always a headache but, I think, today will be worth the wait.

Patch notes can be found here. (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=94203802&sid=1)

Some of the highlights:

The Black Temple is now open for business.
The Druid Epic flight form will be available through a series of quests, similar to the Warlock and Paladin Epic mount quests before it.
Perched high in the mountains of Terrokar, and only accessible with use of a flying mount, Skettis holds new and exciting content for the solo or small-group level 70 player.
The Netherwing faction and quest line continues and the long awaited Nether Drake becomes available.
For those combatants engaging in the Steamwheedle Cartelís gladiatorial combat, an arena nestled within the Ruins of Lordaeron has been added to the mix of venues.
And much, much more.

Mirrors:

Actiontrip (http://www.actiontrip.com/files/patches/worldofwarcraft.phtml)
File Planet (http://www.fileplanet.com/filelist.aspx?s=107194&v=0) (registration required)
WorthPlaying (http://www.worthdownloading.com/download.php?gid=151&id=11177)

I'd suggest downloading now as trying to download from the WoW patcher is crazy insane.

PathMaster
05-22-2007, 09:15 AM
A better mirror list imo: WoWWiki (http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_mirrors)

Vandenh
05-22-2007, 09:16 AM
The Black Temple is now open for business.

After 297983 hours of grinding.

WTF is Blizzard thinking anyway. 90% of raiders are stuck in Kara and most uber guild are still fighting through the 25 man raids. Yeah why don't we add some more content for nobody!!!!

At least the other fixes and extras are good.

violentp
05-22-2007, 09:26 AM
The Druid Epic flight form will be available through a series of quests, similar to the Warlock and Paladin Epic mount quests before it.

Jerry's gonna be a cable boy, Jerry's gonna be a cable boy!

TempestBlayze
05-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Yeah. Good luck getting into and playing in the Black Temple. This is why I quit WoW after I got to 70. It takes a ridiculous amount of time doing the quests and boring tasks to get "attuned" to a dungeon and enter it.

I think blizzard is trying to find ways to make the game longer for end game players and are failing miserably in making in fun.

Opty
05-22-2007, 09:49 AM
"Waah they're offering a new raid dungeon, let's ignore all the solo content they added this patch as well so we can harp on 'hardcore' raiders some more!"

silv
05-22-2007, 09:57 AM
After 297983 hours of grinding.

WTF is Blizzard thinking anyway. 90% of raiders are stuck in Kara and most uber guild are still fighting through the 25 man raids. Yeah why don't we add some more content for nobody!!!!

At least the other fixes and extras are good.

I don't know about stuck in Kara. We've cleared most of SSC (no leo yet), and just finished attuning everyone to The Eye.

Hopefully raids will go a lot faster now with the revalued items and alchemy changes.

silv
05-22-2007, 09:57 AM
"Waah they're offering a new raid dungeon, let's ignore all the solo content they added this patch as well so we can harp on 'hardcore' raiders some more!"

The whole daily quest thing is so dumb though.

Goronmon
05-22-2007, 10:21 AM
This patch makes my paladin QQ.

Edit: Btw, the Google ads for this page all seem to be gold selling and power leveling services, haha.

bean19
05-22-2007, 10:29 AM

You have a point, but they have one too. They did offer a lot of new stuff for people who hate endgame raiding (the vast majority of players), but it is annoying that they spent so much time on ANOTHER endgame raid when even the uber guilds haven't put Kara on farm yet.

All of this scares PvP players that it will just be a matter of time before you have to raid to be able to PvP again.

CrashCart
05-22-2007, 10:30 AM
The whole daily quest thing is so dumb though.
I stopped playing a while ago, but this makes me curious. What is this "daily quest thing?" Do you have to run a quest every 24 hours or risk losing attunement or something stupid like that?

Goronmon
05-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Nah, they just imposed a daily limit on repeatable turn-ins for new faction quests. So, once you hit the limit you can't make any more turn-ins that day.

CrashCart
05-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Nah, they just imposed a daily limit on repeatable turn-ins for new faction quests. So, once you hit the limit you can't make any more turn-ins that day.
Genius.

I don't miss this game at all.

digitalErich
05-22-2007, 10:41 AM
This is just in time for me to get the epic flight form before my account expires in a week or two. WoW, I'll see you next expansion.

Fronch
05-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Bleh, am I the only one who's glad he stopped playing this game? Everything is a non-stop grind. Grinding bosses, reputation, mats, drops, gold, etc. Maybe if you're in an "uber" guild and actually able to access the high-level stuff... but I've talked to people in those guilds who complain about all the time they have to spend outside dungeons collecting mats for potions or grinding gold to pay for repairs. Whatever happened to "fun"?

digitalErich
05-22-2007, 10:44 AM
but it is annoying that they spent so much time on ANOTHER endgame raid when even the uber guilds haven't put Kara on farm yet.

While I agree with your statement about it being annoying, to be fair, plenty of guild have Kara on farm and there are several (2 or 3 on my server alone) that have Gruul on farm. I still agree that this seems a little early.

All of this scares PvP players that it will just be a matter of time before you have to raid to be able to PvP again.
Blizzard has stated before that they will be adding PvP rewards that "keep up" with the raid gear. We'll have to see if they make good on that promise.

Either way, raiding and arena PvP take too much time to keep this game fun, for me. Like I said, I'll be back next expansion.

The-Builder
05-22-2007, 11:01 AM
Massive change log:S

Chameleo
05-22-2007, 11:11 AM
ok i downloaded the patch from one of those sites and installed it, and now my WoW won't work. whenever i start it up, before anything happens it shuts down.

whats wrong here?

could it be because i had the burning crusade 10-day trial installed?

Tentaro
05-22-2007, 11:15 AM
...ANOTHER endgame raid when even the uber guilds haven't put Kara on farm yet...

The fact that in general a guild's goal is to put an instance "on farm" is the big design flaw in this game honestly. I can never bring myself to do a dungeon more than say at MOST maybe 3-5 times. Once I've beaten it I don't see the point in going through it again on the chance that I might unlock a different model and texture for my character to carry around.

That said, it's a shame I'll never care enough to put in the time to see The Black Temple. I've always played the Warcraft games partially for the story, and in WoW I've enjoyed visiting famous places throughout the world. It would be cool to actually battle Illidan, so that in WC4, when characters reflect on past events, I could say, "Oh yeah, I remember when that happened."

n3rdXcore
05-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Can I get a hell yeah for easier fishing?

HELL YEAH.

Twigz'N'Berries
05-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Can I get a hell yeah for easier fishing?

HELL YEAH.
Easier fishing?!? Ok, now I'm interested. How have they eased the burden of the fishing system?

n3rdXcore
05-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Easier fishing?!? Ok, now I'm interested. How have they eased the burden of the fishing system?

They decreased the fishing time from 30 to 20 seconds, and you will ALWAYS catch a fish now.

HELL YEAH.

Vandenh
05-22-2007, 11:44 AM
It would be cool to actually battle Illidan

Agree 100%. My casual guild cleared all instances in the original except AQ40 and Naxx and we will never see those places. Content wasted IMHO. The same is true for TBC... we are halfway Kara and we will probably never see Black Temple before next expansion. I do not understand this obsession by Blizzard with the hardcore 5%. There is nothing wrong with letting your players enjoy ALL content. If some hardcore idiots clear all after 2 weeks... that is *their* problem. Content should be made in MMOs that all people can enjoy after a certain amount of (minimal) grinding but in WoW the grinding for max raiding content is just out of control.

Chaos Machine
05-22-2007, 11:48 AM
One of the key highlights is that Shamans didn't get the nerf bat, they got the nerf sledgehammer. As it stood they were the least played class in the game, and I would gander that the recent Windfury nerfs would further exacerbate their dwindling numbers. I've since rolled a warlock as enhancement is no longer a viable talent spec for shaman.

silv
05-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Agree 100%. My casual guild cleared all instances in the original except AQ40 and Naxx and we will never see those places. Content wasted IMHO. The same is true for TBC... we are halfway Kara and we will probably never see Black Temple before next expansion. I do not understand this obsession by Blizzard with the hardcore 5%. There is nothing wrong with letting your players enjoy ALL content. If some hardcore idiots clear all after 2 weeks... that is *their* problem. Content should be made in MMOs that all people can enjoy after a certain amount of (minimal) grinding but in WoW the grinding for max raiding content is just out of control.

The point is, is to make it challenging. The amount of grinding is minimal. Unless you count working your way through earlier instances 'grinding', which I do not.

n3rdXcore
05-22-2007, 11:55 AM
One of the key highlights is that Shamans didn't get the nerf bat, they got the nerf sledgehammer. As it stood they were the least played class in the game, and I would gander that the recent Windfury nerfs would further exacerbate their dwindling numbers. I've since rolled a warlock as enhancement is no longer a viable talent spec for shaman.

As a shaman who was planning on using Windfury/Dual Wield/Enhancement, this is very disappointing.

Fronch
05-22-2007, 11:58 AM
The point is, is to make it challenging. The amount of grinding is minimal. Unless you count working your way through earlier instances 'grinding', which I do not.There's "challenging" and then there's "impossible." By making the raid content so difficult that you need a well-oiled machine of 40 (now 25) players doing everything perfectly in order to succeed (many of the AQ40 fights were like this), Blizzard ensures that even the hardcore players won't beat things too quickly. The downside is, of course, that the non-hardcore players (or whatever you want to call them) don't get to see that content at all, much less defeat it. I spent two years playing the game before I finally gave up on finding a raiding guild that met my needs... having an early-morning job that required me to log off around 11pm most nights (assuming I wanted to actually get a good night's rest) didn't really work too well. Sadly, Blizzard seems to continue to want to cater to the hardcore player (a couple pieces of solo and small-group content that might take a day or two to complete doesn't really make up for a huge 25-man raid instance that the uber guilds will spend months working on). From what I've read about Starcraft 2, it seems like that game is the same way...

PathMaster
05-22-2007, 11:59 AM

I switched to a Priest after 2.01 came out. As a shadow priest I also got nerfed. Blizzard is close to sucking the fun out this game for me. Luckily I still have not even hit Outland content yet. 1-2 hours a night maybe 3-5 days a week means I do not play that much, yet I can still hit a level or two a week.

lockwoodx
05-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Dam it's still not up yet.

I can only imagine the kind of stress blizzard's servers are under atm.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2324/enotes0504computeronfiruo4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

shnastybiznastic
05-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Massive change log:S
That tends to be true for all changelogs. ;)

Grimgrock
05-22-2007, 12:45 PM
They decreased the fishing time from 30 to 20 seconds, and you will ALWAYS catch a fish now.

HELL YEAH.

This isn't correct. You won't go all 20 seconds without getting a bite. Whether you actually catch a fish is up to your twitch factor.

Chameleo
05-22-2007, 01:08 PM
are there any guilds on any servers playing pre-TBC? i hate TBC and never reached level 60 content....
anyone still doing lvl 60 stuff?

and where could i find them?

n3rdXcore
05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
This isn't correct. You won't go all 20 seconds without getting a bite. Whether you actually catch a fish is up to your twitch factor.

True. I was just assuming that everyone's hellarad fishing skillz were top-notch.
I need more fish.

silv
05-22-2007, 01:48 PM
There's "challenging" and then there's "impossible." By making the raid content so difficult that you need a well-oiled machine of 40 (now 25) players doing everything perfectly in order to succeed (many of the AQ40 fights were like this), Blizzard ensures that even the hardcore players won't beat things too quickly. The downside is, of course, that the non-hardcore players (or whatever you want to call them) don't get to see that content at all, much less defeat it. I spent two years playing the game before I finally gave up on finding a raiding guild that met my needs... having an early-morning job that required me to log off around 11pm most nights (assuming I wanted to actually get a good night's rest) didn't really work too well. Sadly, Blizzard seems to continue to want to cater to the hardcore player (a couple pieces of solo and small-group content that might take a day or two to complete doesn't really make up for a huge 25-man raid instance that the uber guilds will spend months working on). From what I've read about Starcraft 2, it seems like that game is the same way...

I disagree for two reasons.

#1, you have Karazhan and I believe Zul'Aman soon for your more casual tastes?

#2, SSC/TK/Mag/Gruul are being nerfed every single patch to make them easier. Magtheridon looks like a total pinata in 2.1. I expect they will keep nerfing these as time goes on to open up the playing field to more casual players.

Vyzov
05-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Trying to use the blizzard download was actually fine, seeing has how it actually already downloaded the patch. Took me 5 seconds. Now it's installing it.

Edit: And in the time it took me to post that, it's been patched. :D

Vyzov
05-22-2007, 02:17 PM
That tends to be true for all changelogs. ;)

this change log is actually 26 pages if you print it out

dimsumx
05-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Improved Sap is now standard.

This makes my rogue very happy.

Ninjabutterfly
05-22-2007, 02:39 PM
This is a huuge update! I'm so excited :)

You can take a little stress off those Blizzard servers by getting it at FileFront, they have some fast mirrors up:

Full Patch:
http://files.filefront.com/WoW+The+Black+Temple+v210+US+Patch/;7576133;/fileinfo.html

Partial:
http://files.filefront.com/WoW+The+Black+Temple+2012+to+210+US+Patch/;7576118;/fileinfo.html

Planetbuster
05-22-2007, 03:29 PM
WoW free and never looking back.......good riddance.

PB

court12b
05-22-2007, 03:48 PM
wow that's a lot of 25 man nerfs.

Ernst_Jager
05-22-2007, 04:42 PM
WoW free and never looking back.......good riddance.

PB

Amen! Can't say how nice it feels to see people talking about this and not giving a shit. No more games that feel like a second job for me. I hated farming instances for gear I wouldn't use for other players, just so we could advance to the next instance.

GunnyMo
05-22-2007, 06:57 PM

Hmm, my lvl 69 enhance shaman was kicking all kinds of ass today. So the "nerfing" of what was really just an exploit makes the class unplayable? :rolleyes:

Shamans rock even with the so called "nerf". And really, the only shaman spec hit by that "nerf" were elementalists with their Clearcasting reduced from 100% mana recovery to 60% and even that isn't too bad.

Stick with the Three Button Class of warlock. Obviously, playing anything else is too difficult. :p

BlackPete
05-22-2007, 07:15 PM
Hmm, my lvl 69 enhance shaman was kicking all kinds of ass today. So the "nerfing" of what was really just an exploit makes the class unplayable? :rolleyes:

The issue is not whether they're unplayable or not. The real issue is this simple question: Why would a group want a shaman?

Group leader: "Let's see... we got an extra slot, who should we take?"
Person A: "Hmm I only see a rogue and shammy on"
Person B: "Shammy lol... grab the rogue"
Person A" "lol ya, either that rogue or I'll ask my guild if anyone's got an alt who wanna play with us"

Get the drift? There is absolutely NO compelling reason why a group would desire a shaman in their mix over, say... a mage, hunter, rogue, druid, etc.

My 70 shaman is good for farming mining nodes and gold... that's about all he's good for these days. My paladin and rogue are way way WAY more in demand.

BlackPete
05-22-2007, 07:18 PM
On the topic of raid zones like The Black Temple, etc... they get a big fat "meh" from me. Yet another zone I'll never see because I have better things to do with my time than grinding 9781265918 hours for rep and attunement in order to enter the zone...

And any loot that drops will be made obsolete by next expansion. My 60+ chars already have better gear than Naxx just from regular questing and I didn't even have to grind for rep.

It's a shame -- I really wanted to see Kelthuzad, Illidan, etc. too.

Grimgrock
05-22-2007, 08:05 PM
And any loot that drops will be made obsolete by next expansion.

In fairness to Blizzard, they aren't releasing expansions at the rate of four a year. They're releasing expansions at the rate of one in two years. So, yes, the equipment you get today will be obolete sometime in late 2008 or early 2009. That doesn't sound too bad to me.

GunnyMo
05-22-2007, 08:09 PM
My 70 shaman is good for farming mining nodes and gold... that's about all he's good for these days. My paladin and rogue are way way WAY more in demand.

I'll remember that. Oh wait, I never have a problem finding a group. Weird, huh?

Fronch
05-22-2007, 09:55 PM
#1, you have Karazhan and I believe Zul'Aman soon for your more casual tastes?I agree that I like the 10-man raid instances in theory. I spent a little bit of time in Kara before I burnt out and quit the game entirely. I have heard a lot of people complaining about the logistical nightmare of fielding teams for 10-man and 25-man raid instances in the same guild.

#2, SSC/TK/Mag/Gruul are being nerfed every single patch to make them easier. Magtheridon looks like a total pinata in 2.1. I expect they will keep nerfing these as time goes on to open up the playing field to more casual players.
Yeah, I guess they did the same thing to Onyxia? However, as far as I know they never nerfed AQ40 (at least not C'Thun, who shot me with eye lazors more times than I can recall) or Naxx (which I never got to see). I maintain that Blizzard wants there to be "premiere" content that only a very small portion of the players get to experience. And it seems like the vast majority of the rest of the players don't really appreciate it. Before BC, I would always look at the people in their "zomg prplz" and think "sure, if I didn't have a job or a life, I could have that stuff too."

I can't really fault Blizzard... they set things up in the game so that you basically can never "win," because if you win, then you stop playing. At some point I think everyone who plays WoW either comes to terms with that, or quits. I'm happily in the latter camp. Too bad it took me 2 years to figure it out.

Furious Wang
05-23-2007, 12:47 AM
Well, the black temple was originally intended as release content not a bonus extra dungeon like Naxx. I don't see how people can complain about its release now. What else would you have the content team do? I mean, they released tons of new outdoor quests, tuned the heroic and raid dungeons to be more accessible, tuned items, balanced classes and finished a high level raid dungeon as well. Seems like they're doing their job.

And as far as tbc grind goes, it all depend on how you approach the game. I've played casually since tbc's release while working a full time+ job, full time college, and maintaining a healthy relationship and I managed from level 60 to 70, complete all the quests in the expansion, collect all the heroic keys, craft a few epics, and ready myself for kharazan. My best suggestion I can give anyone is to do the quests. All of them. They give tons of faction and tons of gold and items and a good many of them are fun and have interesting lore.

Blizzard has pretty much permanently solved the pvp-pve raid gear gap as well by adding the resilience stat. You pit a person in the high sta high resilience pvp gear against someone with endgame pve raid gear and the pvp geared player has a major advantage right from the start so no worries there.

And sure, WoW has no end. That's the appeal of MMOs. That you can play them forever, essentially. I never saw Naxx pre-tbc, but I saw it when I hit 70 and picked up some good gear...and you know what? Even visiting it late it was still a blast. I probably won't see the black temple until the next expansion, but there's plenty to keep a casual like myself occupied til then, and after I get the bonuses from the next expansion I'll happily come back and give the Black temple a shot.

court12b
05-23-2007, 06:37 AM
The truth is, you can really run the 1'st raid dungeon (Karazhan) with a pick up group and have fun doing it. And it sounds like with the tuning in this patch, you don't even have to have farmed any consumables anymore. So really, it looks like the days of spending every free minute of your time farming for potions is pretty much over.

The only real time sink left now is running all the instances on Easy mode enough times to unlock each dungeon hub's Heroic mode. Which has always been a pretty damn cool idea of Blizz's(imo) because once you get into a heroic dungeon you damn well better know that place and what those baddies are going to throw at you or else it's going to be a very short ride.

Even that (getting keyed for heroics) isn't too time consuming, in fact, running dungeons is what makes that game fun (or did for me anyway).

Endgame content is not nearly as mutually exclusive to a Real Life at 70 as it was at 60.

Shifter
05-23-2007, 07:03 AM
Well I for one finally quit WoW and took it off my hard drive last night. I had a 70 Shaman, 70 Priest and 65 Rogue and enough nerfs to last a lifetime. Since the fun part of this game is levelling up (vs. instance grinding) I'd have stuck around if they only launched new low level content - say levs 20 to 50 - beyond the two new starting areas. There were still classes I was willing to experience to 60 at least. Oh well. Having fun with LotRO though.

Librum
05-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Great patch for a great game. And I even play a Pally, so I'm not just utterly thrilled about the Illumination nerf, but with the boost to KZ epics, it didn't sting quite so much.

The quality of your endgame experience depends greatly on the sort of people you decide to play with. My first run through the game as a Mage back when it hit retail was a mostly solo affair, ended up in a raiding guild with no one I really knew, and it lost its luster quickly, so I quit for a few months.

Last year, bunch of friends decided to play, and got their friends and family involved and we hit the ground running with all new characters, and it's truly been a blast. I can tell you for certain that had I not had some good people to play with, I wouldn't be raiding, plain and simple.

Fronch
05-23-2007, 02:45 PM
I can tell you for certain that had I not had some good people to play with, I wouldn't be raiding, plain and simple.Yeah, this is 100% true. Sadly, I found myself always having to choose between playing with my friends (who wanted to keep things casual) and raiding. By the time BC came out and provided a bit more flexibility (don't need to raid to get epics, etc.), many of the people I had played with had long since quit. Oh, well.