PDA

View Full Version : American McGee's Grimm Revealed

Evil Avatar
05-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Shacknews is reporting (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/46983) a few details on American McGee's next title, Grimm a sequel/prequel to the popular Quake 3 engine title, American McGee's Alice.

Game designer American McGee has revealed via his blog, AmericanMcGee.com, that American McGee's development studio Spicy Horse is currently developing American McGee's next "twisted fairy tale," American McGee's Grimm. Planned for distribution by the subscription-based GameTap gaming service, American McGee's Grimm will be a series of action/adventure episodes comprised of no fewer than 24 installments. American McGee's Grimm will be "a spiritual sequel of sorts" to the first game to bear the American McGee name, American McGee's Alice. Slated to head up writing and serve as executive producer on the project is R.J. Berg, reprising his development roles from American McGee's Alice. "I'm really happy to be once again working on twisted fairy tales," wrote McGee, "and I'm especially excited about having R.J. Berg involved with the project."

Varsity
05-18-2007, 01:10 PM
I caught that typo. :p

violentp
Oh fuck. This could be bad.

Heretic Machine
This concept has actually been known, or at least rumored, for a long while, though the real meat of the announcement is that it will be an episodic Gametap release. The real question is if anything will come of it (I give it a 99% chance of never existing), and if it will be worth playing (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/baddayla/index.html) if/when it does show up.

torrefaction
05-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Screw you guys, I'm excited.

violentp
05-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Screw you guys, I'm excited.

I backed up AM even when people started losing faith. Even now I don't hate the guy. But if he fucks up what Alice is to me, then the guy can kill himself for what I care.

LongStepMantis
05-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Has a lot of potential for disaster.
But I liked Alice a lot, and I'm just gonna wait and see and hope that this game gets it right.

Patchfoot
05-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Why is this man still working? He has no talent and every single game he has touched has been awful. The original Alice was dreadful, and nothing he's done since then has been better (though too bad we don't have oldmanmurray around anymore to at least make his failures entertaining).

flinxz
05-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Classic (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/94/American_McGee_Strawberry_Shortcake.jpg) ........

violentp
05-18-2007, 01:37 PM
The original Alice was dreadful

Some people wait longer that 3 posts to make an ass of themselves.

The Continental
05-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_McGee#Works)

toadkick
05-18-2007, 01:52 PM
booor-iiing.

Esquilax1138
05-18-2007, 01:54 PM
I loved Alice, thought it was great fun with some really nice levels, so this might be fun.

And yes, the Strawberry Shortcake S&M strip is awsome in many ways. Now thats a game people would enjoy I bet!

Zanch
05-18-2007, 01:58 PM
American McGee isn't talented enough to be able to put his name in front of the titles for his games. Gears of War wasn't called Cliff Blizenski's Gears of War even though he's about a thousand times more talented than McGee.

Wyrm
05-18-2007, 01:59 PM
I liked Scrapland, and Alice. Bad Day LA aside, I think this could be interesting.

WastelandDan
05-18-2007, 02:02 PM
while I generally shy away from American McGee games, I really loved Alice so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt with this one.

Cupelix
05-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Why is this man still working? He has no talent and every single game he has touched has been awful. The original Alice was dreadful, and nothing he's done since then has been better (though too bad we don't have oldmanmurray around anymore to at least make his failures entertaining).Yeah, because his level designs in Doom 2, Quake, and Quake 2 made those games absolutely awful and consequently failed. Is he a great game designer? Perhaps not. He only has three games under his belt that he was in charge of. However, everyone I have ever known who played Alice loved it. Just because all his games aren't genius, don't write the guy off.

Dag-Sabot
05-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Yeah, because his level designs in Doom 2, Quake, and Quake 2 made those games absolutely awful and consequently failed. Is he a great game designer? Perhaps not. He only has three games under his belt that he was in charge of. However, everyone I have ever known who played Alice loved it. Just because all his games aren't genius, don't write the guy off.I'd still charge him $.10 for a cup of coffee.

Nighthold
05-18-2007, 02:20 PM
This is the guy that brought us Bad Day LA. How does he still have ANY credibility after that fiasco?

violentp
05-18-2007, 02:24 PM
This is the guy that brought us Bad Day LA. How does he still have ANY credibility after that fiasco?

He doesn't. It's before when he earned it.

TrackZero
05-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Why is this man still working? He has no talent and every single game he has touched has been awful. The original Alice was dreadful, and nothing he's done since then has been better (though too bad we don't have oldmanmurray around anymore to at least make his failures entertaining).

Not every game. There was a little known gem called Quake. Maybe you've heard of it? ;)

DeluxE
05-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Too bad it wasn't Oz. Funny, I would have thought that game would be easier to market...

cp#
05-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Yeah why does he put his name in front of his games? It's not like I'm playing Shigeru Miyamoto presents Super Mario Galaxy!

Dag-Sabot
05-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Yeah why does he put his name in front of his games? It's not like I'm playing Shigeru Miyamoto presents Super Mario Galaxy!Its him saying: "Look! I have a cool name". I would be impressed if he was called The Great Satan McGee.

bean19
05-18-2007, 03:16 PM
American McGee's name was added to Alice because they were informing the audience that this "Alice" was a twisted re-telling. Due to the game's cult success, it is placed on other games as a marketing tool.

I'm in the wait-and-see category on this. American McGee's Alice was a really interesting and fun game when it released, though it definitely had it's share of flaws. Also, I don't subscribe to Gametap because I'm not really interested in classic gaming. I might check it out this summer for a month - just to play through the Sam & Max series, but I really want to own them. I don't mind digital downloading, but I want to be able to go back and play games I've bought even a year later. . . a subscription doesn't provide this.

Cupelix
05-18-2007, 03:26 PM
American McGee's name was added to Alice because they were informing the audience that this "Alice" was a twisted re-telling. Due to the game's cult success, it is placed on other games as a marketing tool.

I'm in the wait-and-see category on this. American McGee's Alice was a really interesting and fun game when it released, though it definitely had it's share of flaws. Also, I don't subscribe to Gametap because I'm not really interested in classic gaming. I might check it out this summer for a month - just to play through the Sam & Max series, but I really want to own them. I don't mind digital downloading, but I want to be able to go back and play games I've bought even a year later. . . a subscription doesn't provide this. That's probably the best rationalization I've read of why McGee's name gets put in front of his games now. There's actually a subtle difference in how they were titled - Alice was "American McGee's Alice" where Scrapland and Bad Day LA were "American McGee Presents." Definitely makes it sound more like a marketing tool.

With regard to S&M on GameTap in a quick derail - I wouldn't worry about not having them permanently. I'm a huge Sam and Max fan, and while the new games are generally quite funny, for whatever reason they don't have that same magic feeling that the original had which would make you want to play it years later.

Grifter
05-18-2007, 03:30 PM
The original Alice was dreadful

Some people wait longer that 3 posts to make an ass of themselves.

...and it seems that others aren't so smart.

If McGee fucks this up I will hunt him down and beat him to death with a bag full of tube socks and possibly a kitten.

Don't fuck with me McGee, I'm crazy!

Blue
05-18-2007, 03:37 PM
I enjoyed Alice for what it was and, if anything, I really liked the art direction in it (despite the fact that some might argue influences steamed from the flick Return to Oz). I'm always willing to give something like this a chance and as I'm not that big of a PC gamer, I don't have much riding on McGee's track record.

Sounds cool, at least on the outset. Hopefully it pans out.

mos
05-18-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm a huge fan of Alice. In fact, after I discovered I had lost my original copy, I tracked it down (on GoGamer or something like that) about six months ago. Playing through it again was a little painful because the graphics were dated, but I still loved the gameplay. I hope this one comes through.

claws
05-18-2007, 04:07 PM
That's probably the best rationalization I've read of why McGee's name gets put in front of his games now. There's actually a subtle difference in how they were titled - Alice was "American McGee's Alice" where Scrapland and Bad Day LA were "American McGee Presents." Definitely makes it sound more like a marketing tool.
Maybe, but I doubt McGee has anywhere near the name recognition of Carmack, Romero, etc, and Johnny Public hasn't heard of those two either. I don't know how well Alice sold, but it's hard for me to believe there's that many people out there going 'wooo, a brand new American McGee game' - especially after, what, 6/7 years since the last critically acclaimed one? I can't help but feel the naming has quite a lot to do with his ego.

(Before anybody mentions Sid Meier, I think that's a different case)

EGO
05-18-2007, 04:31 PM
American McGee's a hack, as proven by the fact that he can't make anything that isn't more than 2 steps above dreadful, since leaving companies that guided him.

Plus, I attribute Alice to the hard working folk that worked on it, not some chode Level Designer who had his name above the title, because it's "interesting".

By putting your name *before* the title (or anywhere in the title for that matter), you open yourself up to criticism, because you're obviously some sort of ego maniac. Even "The Romero" and Jaffe don't put their names on the title.

Solidad O'Brien's an "interesting" name, too... but you won't find me buying a game just because of it.

Dag-Sabot
05-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Hell it worked for Super Vixens.

Claus DuBois
05-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Is there a sentence where American McGee's name is only used once. It would be cool to listen in on a conversation between Peter Jackson and American McGee just to see how many times they could each use there own name in the span of 5 minutes.

Incidence
05-18-2007, 05:23 PM
American McGee's name was added to Alice because they were informing the audience that this "Alice" was a twisted re-telling. Due to the game's cult success, it is placed on other games as a marketing tool
The story I heard was that Disney owned the rights to video games named Alice, Alice in wonderland, and other derivations due to their animated movie. The guys making the Alice game needed to change the name to something Disney didn't own and someone decided that American McGee had an interesting name so they threw it on the front and called it good. Everything since was just a marketing decision.

As for the new game itself, it sounds interesting and I'm a fan of Alice so I'll check it out but I have no expectations it will be a great game. For what it's worth Alice is great not because of the game design (it has very poorly balanced weapons and some of the enemies are just dumb) but because of the story and the atmosphere they managed to create and maintain over a decent length game.

fiercey
05-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Yeah why does he put his name in front of his games? It's not like I'm playing Shigeru Miyamoto presents Super Mario Galaxy!

It was exactly for this reason I never played Alice. I was like wtf I'm not playing a game by somebody with such a stupid fucking name.

-f

MacD
05-19-2007, 03:11 AM
Fiercey, you're mising out on some cool games that way. Bet you didn't play Sid Meiers Civ IV then either. Your loss.

Alice had ssome of the most inventive levels I ever played. Even now some of those levels are beautiful. On that strenght alone I'll buy this game. The thing about Bad Day LA is that it was made using a new, outsourced dev process. The process worked...it just didn't make an interesting game. But it did make a game, and a published game in and of itself is pretty impressive in this industry (just ask anyone who works in it).

So the guy can get games made in the modern game era, and he's made gems in the past. Now he's revisiting one of the more disturbing games he's made, which had some carzy art direction and level design. I'm in :)

fiercey
05-19-2007, 07:42 AM
Fiercey, you're mising out on some cool games that way. Bet you didn't play Sid Meiers Civ IV then either. Your loss.

Haha, I can understand why you would say that, but if you look through some of my previous posts you'll see that not only was I an avid player of Civ 4, but the entire series back to Civ 1 in 1992. I've played most of Sid Meier's games, hearkening all the way back to the days of Silent Service and F-15 Strike Eagle. But he's Sid Meier!

"American McGee" sounds like one of those kids raised with the California "I'm special and unique" mentality. He says his goal in life is to become the next Walt Disney. It's nice to have lofty ambitions, but come on-- what kind of assturd puts themselves in the same sentence with Walt Disney before having accomplished really much at all. That's like me saying I want to be the next Jimmy Hendrix or Jimmy Page, when my guitar-playing is average at best. He should just leave his name off the title and I'd probably play. Personal pet peeve, I know.

-f

Ultima Thulian
05-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Alice and Scrapland did have some gameplay quirks for sure, and it wasn't the most well designed as well, but they were decent in this regard. However, they shined in humor and style. Scrapland is loaded with very funny (sometimes Futuram-esque) robot humor. Scrapland is kinda like a robot parody of 1984...that's the best way I can describe it. Alice had an amazing art style and great sense of atmosphere as well. The game is fun, though kinda clunky.

Bad Day L.A. just sucks ass. It coulda been fun though.

Though I do find this somewhat ironic, as not too long ago McGee wrote an editorial for Game Informer, in which he more or less bitchranted about the lack of originality in games and over abundance of sequels.

Still, I hope this turns out well. The first Alice was cool if you could manage the sometimes clunkyness of it. Hopefully the second title tops it.

Ultima Thulian
05-19-2007, 09:59 AM
As for name titles, Sid Meier does it, and Hideo Kojima comes pretty damn close to doing it. Granted, McGee isn't even nowhere near these guys league. Still, the name thing doesn't bug me.

EGO
05-19-2007, 05:16 PM
It doesn't put me on or off from a game / movie / album / etc.

Putting your name above the titles puts *you* as a developer up for scrutiny, that's all.

As previously stated, Alice was a game that was ALREADY in development and they just slapped his name over top to avoid trademark issues. His contributions were pretty low and probably are what contributed to some of the "clunkiness" in the product. His presence certainly didn't help make it any better.

The proof is in the putting... so, we'll see if he can do any better than his previous non-guided efforts.