PDA

View Full Version : A Phantastic Expanding Universe

Dr.Finger
04-26-2007, 04:51 PM
If you expand a game that no one plays, does it really expand? Sega will ponder this unponderable quesion when the Ambitions of Illuminus expansion to Phantasy Star Universe (PC, PS2, 360) is released this fall. From Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/pages/news/story.php?sid=6169787&part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6169787). The universe is about to get illuminated, as Sega today announced the Ambition of Illuminus expansion for its PC, PlayStation 2, and Xbox 360 online action role-playing game Phantasy Star Universe. The expansion will continue the original game's single-player story mode and add the ability to play through them with a customized character (the original game's single-player story followed a premade character named Ethan Waber). The add-on will also include new enemies, bosses, levels, and character class types.

Ambition of Illuminus will be available this fall. Owners of the original Phantasy Star Universe on the Xbox 360 will be able to download the expansion, while PS2 and PC gamers can purchase a stand-alone edition of the expansion in stores. No price has been announced yet for the various versions of the game. I'm kidding with the 'nobody's playing' crack, by the way. Sort of.

WastelandDan
04-26-2007, 04:54 PM
I played the Live demo and I could see myself sinking quite a bit of time into it if there was no monthly fee. With the fee though it just doesn't seem worth it.

GrinR
04-26-2007, 04:55 PM
I tried so so hard to like this game but it's so fucking boring I wanted to hang myself with the controller. Thank god it's wireless.

torrefaction
04-26-2007, 04:57 PM
I tried so so hard to like this game but it's so fucking boring I wanted to hang myself with the controller. Thank god it's wireless.

My sentiments exactly. I expected Phantasy Star, and I got a boring, lifeless wannabe Diablo.

SPBTooL
04-26-2007, 05:24 PM
My sentiments exactly. I expected Phantasy Star, and I got a boring, lifeless wannabe Diablo.Double ditto.

jpublic
04-26-2007, 05:42 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again: The bloody PSO dynamic is BORING.

Bring back the real RPGs. What happened to Phantasy Earth?

eth3rton
04-26-2007, 05:43 PM
I remember logging sooooo much time into the Dreamcast PSO. It was my first ever Online multi-player game... The DC was so far ahead of its time... :(

but yeah... If it didn't have a monthly fee I'd give her a go...

Bydo_Empire
04-26-2007, 05:57 PM
PSU was decent. I played about 40-50 hours online (a couple chapters offline - still need to finish that). But they ruined a lot of the great things about PSO. No random dungeons, mostly. I got really tired of playing the same quests over and over and over and over and over. Finding cool items turned into finding materials and synth boards (which in 40 hours amounted to nothing remotely worthwhile). The combat was faster, but I still missed the timing-based combo system of PSO. I was also ticked that a huge chunk of the game shipped on the disc, but was disabled so you'd have to pay month-to-month and wait for Sega to decide to 'unlock' content. That sucks.

PSO is in my top 5 games of all time, however. Diablo with actual gameplay. ;)

Shodan2020
04-26-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm a huge fan of Phantasy Star for the Genesis. I should take a peek at this new PSU.

Mashidar
04-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Loved the story in the single player. I enjoyed how it was setup like an anime series in terms of how they presented things. I hated the multiplayer. Due to how everything was locked online until Sega decided to unlock it online.

That would not of bothered me so much if not for the fact that you could play offline and have access to everything in terms of skills, weapons and items. I did like having my own shop, but once everyone had a shop it was too much of a hassle to try to keep up with who had the lowest prices.

An auction house would of been so much better for PSU then the shops.

I already gave my PSU to a friend, so I don't know if i'll get this or not yet.

laggerific
04-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Seriously...the Phantasy Star games on the Genesis were top notch...they need to go back to the basics on this one.

karak
04-26-2007, 06:45 PM
If any game deserves a next gen remake its Phantasy Star one. Man that would make Unfinal Fantasy #234 look like shit

Rook34
04-26-2007, 06:47 PM
I wanted so bad to like this game. I hated the demo and everyone was a dick and unwilling to help. So I bought it and thought that it'd be better if I owned it - no, it was still boring and the entire mechanics of the game were flawed. Instead of being out and about fighting creatures and getting weapons and rare weapons, you would have to take weird trinkets back to your boring apartment and either feed your worthless mag, which took forever, or have him attempt to make a weapon, which he usually broke. Yeah...fun.
Then there's the whole "where the fuck am I supposed to go 'fun' " Worst 60 bucks I ever spent. Traded it the next day, lost out on 20 bucks and I still felt relieved to be rid of it.

jpublic
04-26-2007, 07:33 PM
I'm a huge fan of Phantasy Star for the Genesis. I should take a peek at this new PSU.

Don't. It'll depress you.

Disgustipated
04-26-2007, 07:51 PM
I saw Phantasy Star Universe at GameCrazy... $13 used. Not even kidding. I almost picked it up but was like "meh, the singleplayer looks like dogshit."

Johan
04-26-2007, 08:00 PM
I refuse to play any individual game with a monthly fee. I'll pay for online and such, but not for one select title. Forget it.

Tel Prydain
04-26-2007, 08:13 PM
The online doesn't work in this country, or I'd play it.
I loved the beta.

violentp
04-26-2007, 08:17 PM
The only thing this game needs is standard multiplayer on live. That'll be enough for me. And while on the subject if you have never played the original on the Master System or either Phantasy Star 2,3 or 4 on Genesis then please do yourself that honor.

Deadend
04-26-2007, 08:30 PM
PSU really was a shitty port of a PS2 game.

There is no excuse for the game.

It had horrid graphics, boring repetitive gameplay, very shallow in depth, a crappy storyline. Really, it sucked on all levels.

I would have been happy if it was a hack-slash with a good UI.

jpublic
04-26-2007, 08:45 PM
PSU really was a shitty port of a PS2 game.

There is no excuse for the game.

It had horrid graphics, boring repetitive gameplay, very shallow in depth, a crappy storyline. Really, it sucked on all levels.

I would have been happy if it was a hack-slash with a good UI.

You haven't seen *anything* until you saw the PC version. The included copy protection made Starforce look innocuous.

Most restrictive, pain in the ass CP I've ever run into - practically a rootkit. Hidden drivers, hidden services, it even hid the game process in your task manager.

Man, I get ticked off just thinking about it.

Ajguy
04-26-2007, 09:51 PM
The thing with PSU is that it offers almost the exact same "services" (and arguable even less) than Guild Wars, but GW is free to play. I logged a bajillion hours into PSO because it was free. When ver. 2 came out, I played it for about 2 months and stopped because the experience no longer matched the price I paid.

Also based on what I played of the beta, the game is so convoluted. Was it necessary to make an entire floor of the hub the shopping areas with each store being a separate room that must be loaded. PSO's hub was small, easy to navigate, and had everything I needed close at hand.

As for the single player that I plodded through when I rented the game, it seemed pretty bad. The first hour was soooo slow. During all the cinematics, there were about 5 instances when I thought to myself "finally, I get to fight something" only to have the cutscene continue.

tombofsoldier
04-26-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm kidding with the 'nobody's playing' crack, by the way. Sort of.
continued... not really. I'm not kidding at all. More people are playing Asheron's Call 2 than this game is all I'm trying to say.
... that thought for you there good doctor ;)

Lekon
04-26-2007, 10:33 PM
You haven't seen *anything* until you saw the PC version. The included copy protection made Starforce look innocuous.

Most restrictive, pain in the ass CP I've ever run into - practically a rootkit. Hidden drivers, hidden services, it even hid the game process in your task manager.

And YET! The day before PSU came out: The guy down the hall from my dorm room at the time? Had it up and running, cracked, running perfectly ONLINE as well.

Meanwhile the other guys on pc? Couldn't get it running without cracking it. Ah, I love copy protection schemes.

I got mine for the 360. Played awhile but just coudln't really enjoy it for some reason, it felt so much more repetative than the old PSO did.

smashp
04-27-2007, 01:37 AM
If any game deserves a next gen remake its Phantasy Star one. Man that would make Unfinal Fantasy #234 look like shit

dude... srsly.. i was thinkin the same thing when i was playing oblivion.. "man if this was set in the ragol system.. this would make a great phantasy star" its been.. what.. 13 years since theyve made a traditional phantasy star rpg?

Vyzov
04-27-2007, 05:54 AM
The only thing this game needs is standard multiplayer on live. That'll be enough for me. And while on the subject if you have never played the original on the Master System or either Phantasy Star 2 or 4 on Genesis then please do yourself that honor.

Fixed that for you.

And technically it's not Phantasy Star IV, it's Phantasy Star: End Of the Millennium

Dr.Finger
04-27-2007, 06:21 AM
I'm surprised that Sega hasn't just churned out an offline Phantasy Star RPG yet. It'll sell 5 million copies if its terrible, and 10 if its decent just banking on the fond memories of Genesis fans.

lockwoodx
04-27-2007, 08:07 AM

Sega complete raped it's fans with PSU and ruined thier image for life in alot of people's eyes.

violentp
04-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Fixed that for you.

And technically it's not Phantasy Star IV, it's Phantasy Star: End Of the Millennium

Blasphemer. First, 3 rocked, and second:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/phantasystar4-cover.jpg

jpublic
04-27-2007, 10:20 AM
While PS3 was a step back in a couple ways from PS2, in that they took out a lot of the sophistication from the battle scenes, the 3 generation thing was a nice touch, and I really didn't miss the Mazes-from-hell that PS2 had.

All four games rule, and damn you Sega for not bringing us more.

Sl1pstream
04-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Phantasy Star Universe is way too big for its own good. Traveling around 3 worlds and a space station to find a party is a pain in the ass and the major reason I gave up on it, especially since less people are playing everyday, meaning parties are harder to find by the second. I can't see how expanding the universe even more is going to help the game.