PDA

View Full Version : UK PS3 Retail Prices Tumble Again

fitbabits
04-18-2007, 08:07 AM
MCV (http://www.mcvuk.com/news/26631/PS3-slashed-to-under-390) is reporting that retail prices for Sony's PlayStation 3 console are continuing their downward trend, with one e-tailer selling them at a loss in order to drum up business.

“PS3 performed well pre-launch and the first week of release, but since then sales have dropped considerably,” said Gameseek boss Stephen Staley. “I am sure the deal will help matters. I personally believe the cuts are down to overstocking from launch. Credit goes to Sony for supplying for all of the demand, however this has left most retailers with alot of stock and with the consoles costing around £400 you can imagine, its not healthy for any business to have alot of PS3 consoles gathering dust in a warehouse.”

Gameseek has even resorted to selling at a loss to boost PS3 demand. “We are obviously selling the console at a loss to try and attract new customers to our site. We are sure the PS3 is going to be big business for us over the next eight years so to get a good foothold in this market is essential,” added Staley.
Something decidedly fishy is going on with Sony in Europe. On the one hand, we have Sony execs talking up the sell-through figures and declaring the PS3 is a huge success, yet on the other we have retailers who, by their own admission, are having problems selling the stock they have, resulting in them having to sell the PS3 at a loss just to drum up business.

Oddmaker
04-18-2007, 08:08 AM
It's just all Lies from Sony.

PXG 360
04-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Sony fans will just call this FUD...

Karmakin
04-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Theory #1. The 800k figure is BS. Meh.

Theory #2. Because of below expected everywhere else, Sony was able to ramp up production for the European market (nothing surprising so far). However, the launch demand for the PS3 was roughly around 800k. These are the people who really wanted the system. It was a great launch with a lot of game options for these people, and they ate it right up.

And that's it. The launch demand for the PS3 was about 800k, with it being a very hard sell past that point. So we're at a point with over a million PS3s lingering on store shelves, and at the current rate, that may do Europe until the holidays. 800k is a very good launch. If you're planning on selling another 800k over the next month or so. Less installed base equals less games. Less games equal less sales. That's the spiral.

Sony needs to do something..and quick..to break that. (My suggestion is drop the price by 200 bucks. But that's absurd)

Johan
04-18-2007, 08:36 AM
It is FUD.

There is no issue of overstocked supply.

The PS3 is selling like hotcakes/pancakes/waffles (pick your poison!).

/excuse me while I vomit on myself/

Meusli
04-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Thats a drop of about £45+ since launch and it's still to expensive for me. :(

"/excuse me while I vomit on myself/"

is that because you ate to much

"hotcakes/pancakes/waffles" ;)

KoenigMKII
04-18-2007, 08:50 AM
I can't prove it, but my gut instinct, based on software sales like R.F.O.M, [down 5 places from 10 to 15 in the all software chart UK chart] is that four weeks after launch sales of the PS3 have collapsed dramatically, and are now below 360 shipments.

There are no leaks of Chart-Track data, but there is no need to use an online seller when you can walk into any games selling shop in the UK and pick up a PS3.

Motorstorm helped a little, but Sony needs a decent exclusive soon to stop the rot. Really the 17.5% VAT tax on top of the high price is a total downer, people see what the bundles cost and walk out of shops in disgust.

In the UK the tax is added to the sticker price on the console, not added at the till like the US. People blame the shop and the manufacturer, unfair, but its an extra sickener in Europe. :(

Citizen Philip
04-18-2007, 09:04 AM
So, if Sony had 500k units available and those 300k people were waiting for new shipments: what exactly would be reported?

Sony fails to deliver, people buy 360s instead?
Customers left in the cold as Sony continues to not care about its customers?
Supply failures as European customers cannot buy a PS3?
Sony fails to sell enough souls to devil, may consider outsourcing.

Comon! Try making some up! It's so easy!

Shodan2020
04-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Ok, lets wait for someone to come along and call Fits an "anti-Sony troll"....

It's gonna happen... I can feeeel it!

Rafer
04-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Well I'm a little jealous since the price of the PS3 has been going up in Canada (launched at 660 and now it's at 700, and they've discontinued the cheaper model).

I had read that part of the reason the U.K. PS3 was so expensive was, unlike the U.S., retailers wouldn't sell them at cost. In the U.S. consoles are sold at close to cost to bring in foot traffic and to sell $5 HDMI cables for $100 and extended warranties.

LilEvilFish
04-18-2007, 09:11 AM
I wrote a nicely worded post that was then lost thanks to the page timing out. Take 2.

I was explaining about the lack of PS3 sales a week ago and I was shot down by twats on here for not knowing every person who has bought a PS3. Ok so maybe I don't, but I do only know of 3 people who have bought one. This is out of work colleagues, family, friends and their friends. Everyone else owns either a Wii, 360 or both.

At the end of the day, managers of games stores up and down the country are desperate to shift the stock they have obviously paid a lot of money for, and no one is buying it. The evidence is up and down the high street in each and every games store.

Deliveries of Wii's are snapped up within a day (if you're lucky), 360 is managing nicely and PS3's are piling up.

I await the return of the anal retentive twats from the first bout but once again I have seen the results of this so called record launch first hand. I'm not convinced.

StANTo
04-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Up and down Newcastle City high street I still see the signs from launch day that advertise the PS3's release and that they're in stock.

This time they're amended, the reason? Price drop, the cause? no-one wants to pay £400 for a console.

Nintendo Wii, can I find one? Can I f--. Amazon gets a delivery of 500, they go within 2 hours. There's a second hand store that's selling one for £245 but no-one in their right mind would pay that when the RRP is £180 and you can get one for £208 with all kinds of games.

Incidents like this are a sign of the times, really in my eyes I'm sick to death of costs of consoles and software being matched to american prices 'doller for pound'. Where actually you get 1.8 to 2 dollars per pound. It's wrong.

Bill Gates' excuse for selling Windows Vista at the matched price was that he 'didn't know'. Bullshit. Sony tries to sell the PS3 at £500 where as if we imported an american one we'd get it for what? £250? (roughly).

Not only do people realise this but europeans are notoriously getting a cut down console, but not at a cut down price.

As ridiculous as it is that anyone would want a PS3, what I hear from friends is that they want to 'wait a year for the price to go down'. That'll only happen if it doesn't die from funding starvation first.

fitbabits
04-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Ok, lets wait for someone to come along and call Fits an "anti-Sony troll"....

It's gonna happen... I can feeeel it!
Meh, I've been called a lot worse on here. It's like water off a duck's back.

civil_dead
04-18-2007, 09:38 AM
/excuse me while I vomit on myself/
Hey man, no need for the slashes! I like highlighting posts to see if there's any hidden smartass-ness.

Don't dumb down your posts for the masses!

Trazzlo the Magnificant
04-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Sony needs to start really moving the product, and price has to be a secondary concern. If they expect the retailers to eat the losses (either losing money per unit or interest on the purchases they can't sell quickly) then the retailers get a very negative attitude and only buy minimal stock in the future, while buying lots of Wii's when they do become more available.

And, selling software in Europe is also an expensive process due to the usual issues of languages and localization rules. There has to be a decent install bases within Europe for NA or Japanese games to migrate there. This isn't an issue for 360 and Wii, but developers might decide that the extra work of translations for Europe aren't worth it. That removes about a third of the total sales, and maybe they ask themselves if a PS3 version becomes viable.

That's a very real risk for Sony, and taking a further loss of $200 per console to move 3 million units might be a good move in the long run.

Jack B
04-18-2007, 09:40 AM
So, if Sony had 500k units available and those 300k people were waiting for new shipments: what exactly would be reported?

I'm not sure you're getting the point of all this. Many are trying to have rational discussion, but you seem to have a knee jerk reaction to anyone trying to honestly comment on the situation. If someone say's something negative about the Sony situation, it must be over-reaction. Not necessarily true.

Neither under or overstock is a good thing for a console manufacturer. Balance and steady increasing monthly sales would be ideal with retailers having just enough inventory and the manufacturer not having over production and excess stock in their warehouses as well. Balance. Each situation tells us something about the supply/demand equation. That kind of discussion is worthwhile. Writing off everyone elses comments, not so much.

If Sony didn't have stock their public perception would be better, IMO. Look at the Wii. It's not hurting them much. Having stock in Japan, NA and Europe leaves no doubt as to the supply/demand equation. The man behind the curtain is somewhat exposed. Prior to that, who knew for sure what was going to happen.

Prior to launch, 6 million units sold by March 31st seemed like a no brainer. Now, we know Sony will not reach 6 million sold by March 31st. Seeing inventory on the shelves and sales by retailers trying to move excess inventory shows that Sony is having issues selling at their current price.

Kamalot
04-18-2007, 09:42 AM
*sigh*

Another anti-Sony story from FitbantiSonylotBits. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Jack B
04-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Sony needs to start really moving the product, and price has to be a secondary concern. If they expect the retailers to eat the losses (either losing money per unit or interest on the purchases they can't sell quickly) then the retailers get a very negative attitude and only buy minimal stock in the future, while buying lots of Wii's when they do become more available.

And, selling software in Europe is also an expensive process due to the usual issues of languages and localization rules. There has to be a decent install bases within Europe for NA or Japanese games to migrate there. This isn't an issue for 360 and Wii, but developers might decide that the extra work of translations for Europe aren't worth it. That removes about a third of the total sales, and maybe they ask themselves if a PS3 version becomes viable.

That's a very real risk for Sony, and taking a further loss of $200 per console to move 3 million units might be a good move in the long run.

I wonder if Sony was able to apply any pressure on retailers to purchase a certain quantity of PS3's or if the retailers just misjudged their local demand.

fitbabits
04-18-2007, 09:43 AM

ffffffffffffffssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhh!

That was the sound of blood rushing to your fingertips before your brain was engaged.

albrnick
04-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Something decidedly fishy is going on with Sony in Europe. On the one hand, we have Sony execs talking up the sell-through figures and declaring the PS3 is a huge success, yet on the other we have retailers who, by their own admission, are having problems selling the stock they have, resulting in them having to sell the PS3 at a loss just to drum up business.

I don't know if the above is a contradiction? So the near 800K they sold though was good, but they aren't able to sell the other 200K?

Peace

Citizen Philip
04-18-2007, 09:58 AM

That was the sound of blood rushing to your fingertips before your brain was engaged.
Perhaps. Perhaps not? The newspost was inert for an hour, and it's a slow day: I decided to comment. Maybe if I used no exclamation marks and included a :rolleyes: or a :p you would have an equally interesting, but somewhat different, response?

Shodan2020
04-18-2007, 09:59 AM
*sigh*

OMGEEEEE! HOW PREDICTABLE OF YOU KAMALOT! :p

SPBTooL
04-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Hey man, no need for the slashes! I like highlighting posts to see if there's any hidden smartass-ness.

Don't dumb down your posts for the masses!It is like looking for clicky words in Strongbad (http://homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html) emails.

I got nothing.

opusdeath
04-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Up and down Newcastle City high street I still see the signs from launch day that advertise the PS3's release and that they're in stock..

I can confirm this is indeed the case in Newcastle. (Hello StANTo! :) )

All the signs do is make me think, yeah the price is definitely going to drop soon and I'll consider it then. The lack of a killer title is hurting as well.

blademonkey
04-18-2007, 10:56 AM
*sigh*

OMG you F'ing TROLL!!!

That's a joke, BTW.

lockwoodx
04-18-2007, 11:03 AM
PS3 prices lowered again? Way to sitck it to the real fans who were mindlessly willing sell thier own blood so they could buy one launch day.

04-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Consider this. Currently I am looking to rent a place to live. A PS3 costs half of my monthly wage give or take, renting a house with all the bills costs about the same amount monthly. I think this is a factor, Sony can try to sell it as luxury goods for the living room but if I want luxury goods I'll go with Bang & Olufsen and not crappy Sony stuff. The PS3 is not a good value proposition and considering there is nothing on there that makes me even think it would be nice to own one, it's not going anywhere near my house.

Micasa
04-18-2007, 11:27 AM
They aren't exactly flying off the shelves in North America, so where's the price drop for this region?

Johan
04-18-2007, 12:13 PM
I wrote a nicely worded post that was then lost thanks to the page timing out. Take 2

Next time, go back one page. It's still there!

Happens to me ALL the time. Freaking crappy wireless. :(

BabyJesus
04-18-2007, 12:13 PM
They aren't exactly flying off the shelves in North America, so where's the price drop for this region?

They will probably start doing just that at some point, or bundling a free game or something.

Jack B
04-18-2007, 12:20 PM
They will probably start doing just that at some point, or bundling a free game or something.

BabyJesus, if you haven't seen Ricky Bobby saying grace at dinner in Talledega Nights, you must rent it. It's a classic. He prefers to say grace to the Baby Jesus, not the full grown hairy Jesus.

TheFlyingOrc
04-18-2007, 12:24 PM
BabyJesus, if you haven't seen Ricky Bobby saying grace at dinner in Talledega Nights, you must rent it. It's a classic. He prefers to say grace to the Baby Jesus, not the full grown hairy Jesus.
I thought that scene was boring and killed the pacing of the entire movie.

Jack B
04-18-2007, 12:37 PM
I thought that scene was boring and killed the pacing of the entire movie.

My girlfriend and I turned it off just after that scene, because our IQ was dropping each minute we watched. :D You actually thought it had pacing? ;)

We ended up watching a subtitled IFC flick about 2 women officers in the Israeli army assigned to registering Palestinians as they made their way through the city. Quite a switch from Talledega Nights.

TheFlyingOrc
04-18-2007, 01:18 PM
My girlfriend and I turned it off just after that scene, because our IQ was dropping each minute we watched. :D You actually thought it had pacing? ;)

We ended up watching a subtitled IFC flick about 2 women officers in the Israeli army assigned to registering Palestinians as they made their way through the city. Quite a switch from Talledega Nights.

I'm totally cool with some over-the-top stupid humor - I liked what was happening up until the prayer scene, where the theater was filled with awkward silence.

Kamalot
04-18-2007, 01:37 PM
I like the prayer scene in The Iron Giant

Jack B
04-18-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm totally cool with some over-the-top stupid humor - I liked what was happening up until the prayer scene, where the theater was filled with awkward silence.

Hmmm, interesting. I suppose it probably did offend a lot of people. It was so over the top, it struck me as funny. The two kids giving grandpa crap was unacceptable behavior in real life, but we're talking Ricky Bobby's kids here, so it worked for me.

Come to think of it, making fun of religion and old people might not go over that well with the Southern Nascar crowd.

Royal Fool
04-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Gameseek has even resorted to selling at a loss to boost PS3 demand. “We are obviously selling the console at a loss to try and attract new customers to our site. We are sure the PS3 is going to be big business for us over the next eight years so to get a good foothold in this market is essential,” added Staley.

I doubt the PS3 is going to repeat the success of the PS2. Successful maybe, but not PS2 megabucks successful.

blademonkey
04-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Oh great, now you're trolling movie posts!

sheesh! it doesnt end with you, does it?

:p

CptTripps
04-18-2007, 03:14 PM

That movie was cool.

I did watch some Ricky Bobby, it was so so ok.

CptTripps
04-18-2007, 03:15 PM

Kind of mean, but damn funny.

51|RandoM
04-18-2007, 05:00 PM
What is up, UK can't implement the every day price fixing we have in America?

Kamalot
04-18-2007, 05:48 PM
What is up, UK can't implement the every day price fixing we have in America?

Sign me up for the 'lower price' version of price-fixing please. :rolleyes:

shorthaircut
04-18-2007, 10:36 PM
*waits for the redesign, and lower price*

Wolvie
04-19-2007, 02:50 AM
Hmmmm... sounds like MS isn't the only ones "cooking the books" now a days.

Rogueski
04-19-2007, 05:53 AM
With the $ at 2:1 against the £ we can see now why Sony stopped Imports. £200 - £300 would be a lot better price.