PDA

View Full Version : Lair Developer in Love with PS3... Duh.

Texas Speed
04-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Destructoid (http://www.destructoid.com/lair-developer-all-over-the-ps3-like-a-fat-kid-loves-cake-31011.phtml#ext) has posted an interview Factor 5 did with the San Jose Mercury News (http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2007/04/qa_with_factor_5_chief_julian_eggebrecht.html). Some tidbits they share:

Q: How soon did you figure out what the PlayStation 3 could do?
A: Will we ever? (laughs). The baseline isnít hard to figure out. Yes, itís a harder ramp. ... The PS3 has more of the situation where you could go another six months easily and forever. You can get so much more power. RSX is a known quantity. But Cell is pretty limitless at this point.

Q: How do you look back at this point on the differences between the PS 3 and the Xbox 360?
A: Youíll have a hard time if you port without having a PS3 game in mind when you created the 360 version. ... The PS3 is all about streamlining about the two different memory pools. They are separate. You donít have to do tiling because you donít have an embedded frame buffer. All of these advantages of the PS3 turn into disadvantages if you donít start making your game on the PS3. Hence the griping. If you create first on the PS3, it is pretty easy to port it to the 360. A lot of companies coming on board now will probably start on the PS3 and move to the 360. The lucky thing for us is we didnít have to think about the 360 at all.

Q: The Sixaxis ó this is your first crack at that. How is it?
A: Yes. That waggle. Sixaxis. For me, I am not in the rumble camp. I am in the motion control camp. Give me the choice any day and I will choose it as the next logical evolution. You get more disk space with Blu-ray. You get more CPU power with Cell. The pixel shaders with RSX. What changes about the controller? Thatís my one gripe with the 360. It is very nicely done. Donít get me wrong. On the controls, nothing changed. Sony and Nintendo went the extra mile. Nintendo went the extra 10,000 miles. But Sony said we have to have something fresh in every area.

Check the interview for more shameless plugging, but its not like someone developing exclusively will say anything different.

51|RandoM
04-16-2007, 01:40 PM
I may be alone here, but I've gotta say that the footage I've seen recently of Lair has left me underwhelmed. Rogue Squadron with dragons doesn't exactly whet my appetite.

04-16-2007, 01:43 PM
The more I read things like this, the less I am ever likely to get a PS3. It grates me when I try to read about a game and it's an advert for the console and for the record this applies to any company about any console.

Esquilax1138
04-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Amazing he could say so much with Sony's dick in his mouth...

CptTripps
04-16-2007, 01:47 PM

It's probably very tiny.

DarkDaY
04-16-2007, 01:47 PM

lololo., said best.
what a pile of shit he has become. O well, what do we expect.
que the sdf

Arglor
04-16-2007, 01:49 PM
If you create first on the PS3, it is pretty easy to port it to the 360. A lot of companies coming on board now will probably start on the PS3 and move to the 360. The lucky thing for us is we didnít have to think about the 360 at all.

This quote bothers me a lot. Is this supposed to mean that what the ps3 can do the 360 can as well since porting is "easy" for that direction? The vague wording bothers me. Its never good to say that "porting is easy" when you start from one machine and go to another.

Norse
04-16-2007, 01:50 PM
The game looks ok, but the gameplay doesn't really look that interesting. That's probably why he likes to talk about how wonderful the PS3.

Serapth
04-16-2007, 01:52 PM
lololo., said best.
what a pile of shit he has become. O well, what do we expect.
que the sdf

Can someone please translate this to English for me? ;)

DarkDaY
04-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Can someone please translate this to English for me? ;)

heh, ya sorry , was just laughing and with everything that has happend so far today i needed it.
here ill translate.

the guy has his head so far up sony's ass im amazed he could take a deep enough breath to spew such shit.
but then again, sonys ass has gotton quite large as of late, so who knows. :D

Serapth
04-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Ah... much better.

CaptStu
04-16-2007, 02:01 PM
This seems like the kind of thing that can come back to bite him if the game doesn't do very well.

Serapth
04-16-2007, 02:03 PM
This seems like the kind of thing that can come back to bite him if the game doesn't do very well.

They have talked shit since that company was formed. It seems like they are incapable of not talking shit.

They are Sonys Team Ninja...

Gorvi
04-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Wow, a someone currently developing exclusively for Sony talks up a Sony console. An MS or Nintendo dev would never do the same for their respective consoles. Let the insults fly!

Flatpicker
04-16-2007, 02:06 PM
They are Sonys Team Ninja...

I beg to differ a bit.
Team Ninja has a better track record.
Talent wise, Factor 5 isn't up there.
Their SW games for the GC were ok. The rest, meh.

DarkDaY
04-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Wow, a someone currently developing exclusively for Sony talks up a Sony console. An MS or Nintendo dev would never do the same for their respective consoles. Let the insults fly!

ah, there you are, was wondering..
I think its more like to the point of how much you hear, only on sony;s is this possible crap, its funny thats all.
worst of all, the game looks average in some parts, great in others, but there was no wow, wholly shit.

o well, might be a fun game, was hoping for more, but lol, keep talking factor 5, its not going to make me magically go, really? holy crap! it can only be done on the ps3, well...i better run and get it, o? I need to buy the fourth dimension too?
sigh, sounds expensive..
what? the fourth dimension is blueray? gotcha, cell? its infinit? coooool.

lol, whatever, Im not hating just laughing at what these aresholes say, its like they think that thier rhetoric will rose color my eyes to the vids they show me
well, i can see clearly, and it looks good.

But please suits and devs, keep spewing the shit, i needs my laughs, and yes, i mean from all major company's

Serapth
04-16-2007, 02:24 PM
I beg to differ a bit.
Team Ninja has a better track record.
Talent wise, Factor 5 isn't up there.
Their SW games for the GC were ok. The rest, meh.

I meant when it comes to talking shit, not the games they make.

Zanzibar
04-16-2007, 02:27 PM
This is the truth. Julian has swallowed load after load from the moment Lair got greenlighted. His interviews have only gotten more and more laughable over time.

Yeti2005
04-16-2007, 02:33 PM
"But Cell is pretty limitless at this point."

OMG, tell Intel and AMD to stop what they're doing, we've reached CPU perfection.

Karmakin
Is it just me, or has the Rogue Squadron games not aged well over time? When they were first released it was like they were the best thing ever, but they're hardly even mentioned these days.

Ancalagon
If you create first on the PS3, it is pretty easy to port it to the 360. A lot of companies coming on board now will probably start on the PS3 and move to the 360. The lucky thing for us is we didnít have to think about the 360 at all.

I recognize this as marketing speak. I'm not really fluent in the dialect, but I think I can translate.

"The PS3 is really powerful, but its a bitch to develop for. You cant just develop games generically like you could for the PC and the XBox, the thing is so dang specialized you have to keep it in mind the whole way, and if you dont, your game is really going to suck bad on the PS3. Thats why its best to develop for the PS3 first; its the most difficult platform, and if you get that going, the XBox is a cinch in comparison."

CptTripps
This is totally new and innovative!!!

Drakken

Citizen Philip
04-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Check the interview for more shameless plugging, but its not like someone developing exclusively will say anything different.

Is this quote for all developers working on exclusive content, or just a specific one?

muddi900
04-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Yippie for Objectivity! :rolleyes:

Citizen Philip
04-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Yippie for Objectivity! :rolleyes:

You're right, the next time I see an interview from someone developing exclusive content for the 360 I want first dibs on calling him a cocksmoker for advocating how great the system is. Maybe I will add in some comments about the dev team and circlejerks or bukkake for added colour.

TheFlyingOrc
04-16-2007, 02:46 PM
You're right, the next time I see an interview from someone developing exclusive content for the 360 I want first dibs on calling him a cocksmoker for advocating how great the system is. Maybe I will add in some comments about the dev team and circlejerks or bukkake for added colour.

I think we do that as well, it's just less memorable, as you get less angry.

Krispy
04-16-2007, 02:51 PM

While I catch your setiment, I just don't see it happening as much. Here is a classic example, the last IGN podcast had an interview with Silicon Knights about their exclusive 360 game and with Factor 5 over their exclusive PS3 game. Do you know how many times Silicon Knights mentioned it was exclusive to the 360? None, not ever. I can't say the same for Factor 5.

Kweli
04-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Funny how he mentions how hes a 'motion sensor' type of guy and not a rumble...
WTF, why not have both..

Cant believe he loves sony so much.... I think hes just trying to get some free Sony stuff

DarkDaY
04-16-2007, 02:57 PM
i would let him yabber like team ninja if his games where of the same wow kick ass level.
but they are not, they are acceptable and fun at times.
worst part is, its not even looking that wow...yet. and im wondering if it will, this is usually where they shine.
I think they should stop the caksukin and head back over to nintendo and make some more starwars games with different routes!

Citizen Philip
04-16-2007, 02:59 PM
I think we do that as well, it's just less memorable, as you get less angry.

Angry? No. Amused. I like watching people pretend they are objective. It's like watching fat people go up 2 flights of a steep staircase, with a bag of McDonald's tucked under their arm.

Sad, but very amusing.

nate5881
04-16-2007, 03:01 PM
I may be alone here, but I've gotta say that the footage I've seen recently of Lair has left me underwhelmed. Rogue Squadron with dragons doesn't exactly whet my appetite.

Exactly what I was thinking after the recent IGN podcast. The land based combat looks especially shitty, as did the in-flight dragon melee.

Boris
04-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Yeah, it must take a lot of SPUs to generate a dragon covered in poo textures. Maybe it's just me but the art in Lair doesn't look as good as the art in the very last generation game Shadow of the Collusus.

The dragon shat all over itself (http://files.playstatic.com/ps3/lair/lair-screen-20060327004958573.jpg)

silv
04-16-2007, 03:30 PM

There is talking up the platform you are on, and then there is this.

Look at the question where they ask about the controller, and he waxes peotical about Blu-Ray and Pixel Shaders. He isn't even really answering their questions. It's like he has a bullet list of 'Great things about the PS3!' and he is just rolling through them.

Ugh. The game's graphics do look pretty good, but the AI of the armies looks attrocious. Look at them all swinging in unison with the exact same swing animation?!?! And tromping through 10000 enemies mashing your A button looks awful fun. (Run run run, BREATH FIRE, run run run, SWING YOUR ARM, run run run, SWING YOUR ARM)

If you ask me this game appears to be high on polish low on gameplay. Ofcourse this is without playing it =)

Disgustipated
04-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Is it just me, or has the Rogue Squadron games not aged well over time? When they were first released it was like they were the best thing ever, but they're hardly even mentioned these days.

They're just underrated is all. Rogue Squadron II & III are some of my favorite games, and RSIII gets huge kudos because you can play the entire game of RSII in co-op. Pretty awesome.

Grimmjow
04-16-2007, 03:43 PM

don't bother Gorvi, you already know how it is around here.

Royal Fool
04-16-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm sure Lair will come through and become a big seller, no matter what. It's gonna fill a hole that's very empty in the current PS3 library.

And man, I just love how these folks dodge the rumble issue everytime.

Flatpicker
04-16-2007, 03:45 PM
The damn shame of Lair is that since the SSI DragonStrike game, I've been looking for more. Nobody has delivered yet. I don't believe anyone will.

Citizen Philip
04-16-2007, 03:45 PM
There is talking up the platform you are on, and then there is this.

Look at the question where they ask about the controller, and he waxes peotical about Blu-Ray and Pixel Shaders. He isn't even really answering their questions. It's like he has a bullet list of 'Great things about the PS3!' and he is just rolling through them.

Ugh. The game's graphics do look pretty good, but the AI of the armies looks attrocious. Look at them all swinging in unison with the exact same swing animation?!?! And tromping through 10000 enemies mashing your A button looks awful fun. (Run run run, BREATH FIRE, run run run, SWING YOUR ARM, run run run, SWING YOUR ARM)

If you ask me this game appears to be high on polish low on gameplay. Ofcourse this is without playing it =)

It's getting tired, a developer gets called a cocksucker for even liking his platform, the bigotry is epic. You couldn't have an objective discussion about PS3 content if the active users numbers weren't flooded and depend on 12 year old fanboys.

Saying a game looks bad in a screenshot or a movie, that's totally cool. If it's shit, it's shit. Attacking a developer working on exclusive content is horseshit, particularly if anyone pretends the horseshit is spread equally.

silv
04-16-2007, 03:58 PM
It's getting tired, a developer gets called a cocksucker for even liking his platform, the bigotry is epic. You couldn't have an objective discussion about PS3 content if the active users numbers weren't flooded and depend on 12 year old fanboys.

Saying a game looks bad in a screenshot or a movie, that's totally cool. If it's shit, it's shit. Attacking a developer working on exclusive content is horseshit, particularly if anyone pretends the horseshit is spread equally.

I don't quite follow your post, to be honest. Clearly anyone working exclusively will speak well of their chosen console.

But I don't understand why someone would take up so much of their PR time simply talking about how AWESOME the PS3 is? Presumably your target audience (PS3 players) already know how awesome it is, and they want to know how you are going to take that AWESOMENESS and leverage it in your game.

For an example of what I am talking about, look at the IGN Weekly video. Mass Effect is 360 exclusive, and all they talk about is gameplay. Not how awesome and better the 360 is over the PS3. Compare that to the Lair/PS3 PR bit at the end? See the difference? One is focusing on the game/gameplay and the other is the prowess of your already chosen console.

This Factor5 guy is taking every chance he can to talk up the console, even at the expense of his own game.

Texas Speed
04-16-2007, 04:01 PM

Whoa, now. I even made the comment that anyone working exclusively on a system would do the same thing, but this interview stood out. It seemed like at times they were interviewing Phil Harrison, not Factor 5. If I heard of an interview where a dev for MS was calling the 360 the second comming, I'd call them out, too.

BlackPete
04-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Maybe I'm just reading this differently but this quote:

Actually says a lot more about the 360 than it does the PS3. Developing on the 360 is easy compared to developing on the PS3. To me, that's a good thing! Easier development = lower overhead = less R&D time = speedier schedules = everyone wins.

Arglor
04-16-2007, 04:10 PM
If I heard of an interview where a dev for MS was calling the 360 the second comming, I'd call them out, too.

Then we should go back a little to when the 360 launched. Because all i remember were developers talking about the "epic" things that could be done with the 360 hardware.

time changes all i suppose.

Arglor
04-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Easier development = lower overhead = less R&D time = speedier schedules = everyone wins.

more generic content? Anyone see Too Human and think, "wow Devil May Cry"?

I mean i'd love to see it come out and play it and maybe i'm wrong, perhaps the juggling and fighting is made meaningful with the rpg elements and they have come across a completly origional game, but the graphics [3d roaming style and physical look to the city] look like crackdown [seriously upgraded with gears of war's shinyness] and the gameplay looks like god of war and devil may cry[, and finally the story is reminiscent of diablo with deus ex theme]. [All in all it is not a bad mish-mash of games, but the heavy borrowing takes away from it's origionality.] This isn't [necessarily] bad though, it can just lead to generic games. I've not seen a game for 360 that made me think.. "Wow i've never even comprehended that such a game could exist."

But i'm not all-knowing so I'm sure i've missed a couple. (before you say mass effect, i'll argue it is a more beautiful and expansive SW:KOTR and Jade EMpire. Both are great games, and I've loved playing them on my PC more then anything. I'll love playing Mass effect as well on my PC.)

-edited: all bracketed content added after an initial review of my post. My hope is that it assists with clarity.

J3DI
04-16-2007, 04:16 PM

I recognize this as marketing speak. I'm not really fluent in the dialect, but I think I can translate.

"The PS3 is really powerful, but its a bitch to develop for. You cant just develop games generically like you could for the PC and the XBox, the thing is so dang specialized you have to keep it in mind the whole way, and if you dont, your game is really going to suck bad on the PS3. Thats why its best to develop for the PS3 first; its the most difficult platform, and if you get that going, the XBox is a cinch in comparison."

Thats exactly how I read it; Not only can the 360 do what the Ps3 does, its easier!

So does this mean that we will see Lair on the 360 in the future?

Texas Speed
04-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Then we should go back a little to when the 360 launched. Because all i remember were developers talking about the "epic" things that could be done with the 360 hardware.

time changes all i suppose.

I wasn't around for the 360 launch and all the hype that surrounded it. But at the time, I'm sure it was true since there was no PS3 to compare it to. Lair wouldn't be possible on an Xbox, but I call shenanigans that it can't be done on 360.

Johan
04-16-2007, 04:32 PM

I don't know if you're alone, but you have some who disagree; mightily. (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28495)

I personally am not terribly impressed myself.

Micasa
04-16-2007, 04:41 PM

It's kind of silly that an exclusive developer would go on and on about how something isn't possible on another platform given that they never work WITH those platforms, so really don't know. It's also unsurprising that they'd play up the platform they're "backing" since their financial future is tied to it. Insomniac is in the exact same boat. Though they can claim independence all they like, when you only release your games on the PlayStation platform, you need it to do well. Their pronouncements are little more than PR.

Tel Prydain
04-16-2007, 05:11 PM

Fluent enough. Good job!

Morangie
04-16-2007, 05:11 PM
I don't quite follow your post, to be honest. Clearly anyone working exclusively will speak well of their chosen console.

But I don't understand why someone would take up so much of their PR time simply talking about how AWESOME the PS3 is? Presumably your target audience (PS3 players) already know how awesome it is, and they want to know how you are going to take that AWESOMENESS and leverage it in your game.

For an example of what I am talking about, look at the IGN Weekly video. Mass Effect is 360 exclusive, and all they talk about is gameplay. Not how awesome and better the 360 is over the PS3. Compare that to the Lair/PS3 PR bit at the end? See the difference? One is focusing on the game/gameplay and the other is the prowess of your already chosen console.

This Factor5 guy is taking every chance he can to talk up the console, even at the expense of his own game.

Could you rephrase that in the form of an attack on Sony? I don't think Citizen Philip can get his martyr complex going from a reasonable explanation of why hes being an idiot.

Virtuoso
04-16-2007, 05:26 PM
It's probably very tiny.

Well... they are asian.....

I kid, I kid.

Skyelan
04-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Well... they are asian.....

Asian is exactly why it's so amazing, my friend. We at Sony have discovered the true secret to remaining sleek and compact, with all the power and satisfaction of our more obnoxious, cheap neighbors.

We guarentee we're worth every cent over our larger competitors, and we know how to amaze you in ways you can only dream of. Our compact form factor hides our patented cells, which mean we're the only ones who can pleasure you in 4D.

It's not tiny, it's advaaaaaanced!

I am a horrible, horrible person.

Ozymandias
04-16-2007, 06:11 PM
The damn shame of Lair is that since the SSI DragonStrike game, I've been looking for more. Nobody has delivered yet. I don't believe anyone will.

Oh wow - you get today's gold star for best flashback moment. I actually worked on Dragonstrike (indirectly) doing the technical writing/docs.

<sigh> Excuse me while I go feel old. 35 and over the hill!

BlackPete
04-16-2007, 06:16 PM
more generic content? Anyone see Too Human and think, "wow Devil May Cry"?

It's hardly the 360's fault that the games are so derivative. It's not the size of your polygons that matter, it's how you use them ;)

Flatpicker
04-16-2007, 06:27 PM
Oh wow - you get today's gold star for best flashback moment. I actually worked on Dragonstrike (indirectly) doing the technical writing/docs.

I can't get you on the age thing. I'm 35 now and was playing DS back then instead of having a hand in making it.

I would like to remind you guys at MS that those titles were well loved.
I can only speak for myself, but, if those types of games showed up on Live, I'd definitely be buying more XBLA games.

Just my wishful thinking, I guess.

Ozymandias
04-16-2007, 06:35 PM
I can't get you on the age thing. I'm 35 now and was playing DS back then instead of having a hand in making it.

I would like to remind you guys at MS that those titles were well loved.
I can only speak for myself, but, if those types of games showed up on Live, I'd definitely be buying more XBLA games.

Just my wishful thinking, I guess.

So it's interesting as I was just having a discussion with folks on this. One of the challenges we face is that DragonStrike isn't a "pick up and play" sort of game that epitomizes what we think of as a downloadable Arcade game. Think back to the Live Arcade pipeline - there's a focus on trying to have games that almost anyone could download and play (and find appeal in).

That said, I do think there needs to be a place for "other" content - stuff that wouldn't compete (or even be viable) at retailers, but would be interesting and profitable enough to publish. Imagine downloading the old SSI goldbox games, or Sierra's Kings Quest (or Space Quest) adventures, but with Achievements? Or the original Incredible Machine game? Or that silly Johnny Castaway screensaver Sierra did way back (probably more of a digital toy than a game, but you get the idea).

What I can't get my head around is how appealing this content would be to today's youngins. ;) Not sure whether an 18-year old kid who loves shooters would actually find Space Quest interesting enough to play....

karak
04-16-2007, 06:39 PM

Well I just played this game a couple days ago. I can't beleive my old hardware works

Flatpicker
04-16-2007, 07:08 PM
So it's interesting as I was just having a discussion with folks on this. One of the challenges we face is that DragonStrike isn't a "pick up and play" sort of game that epitomizes what we think of as a downloadable Arcade game. Think back to the Live Arcade pipeline - there's a focus on trying to have games that almost anyone could download and play (and find appeal in).

That said, I do think there needs to be a place for "other" content - stuff that wouldn't compete (or even be viable) at retailers, but would be interesting and profitable enough to publish. Imagine downloading the old SSI goldbox games, or Sierra's Kings Quest (or Space Quest) adventures, but with Achievements? Or the original Incredible Machine game? Or that silly Johnny Castaway screensaver Sierra did way back (probably more of a digital toy than a game, but you get the idea).

What I can't get my head around is how appealing this content would be to today's youngins. ;) Not sure whether an 18-year old kid who loves shooters would actually find Space Quest interesting enough to play....

I see what you mean, but, isn't Oblivion doing fairly well sales wise?
Live does need a place for these more involved games, perhaps a section called "Xbox Home Classics" or "Xbox Museum" or something?
It could be a section with old PC classics like the SSI games, X-com1 and 2, Sierra titles (make sure you get Gabriel Knight, if you go there.) and perhaps it could create another revenue stream that would entice publishers to jump onto. Plus, the old SCUMM type titles could be marketed as casual games to the mom and pop set.

Imagine being able to DL Ultima games from the Marketplace. It would seem to be doable. And now with the new kbd attachment Xwing/Tie Fighter/Wing Commander or any of the Microprose sim titles could be added.

I wouldn't be able to think of what a fair price would be for these "full length" titles, but maybe in the $12-15 range? Not enough to encroach on the platinum hits, but somewhere between Arcade games and the Physical Media types.

tombofsoldier
04-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Cool it guys, he just wants some of Kuturagis private coke stash.

galactic empire
04-16-2007, 09:25 PM
"But Cell is pretty limitless at this point."

OMG, tell Intel and AMD to stop what they're doing, we've reached CPU perfection. I'm on my way RIGHT NOW! Fits! Watch my cats for me!

Joestar
04-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Here's a good interview with Havoc from Gamasutra. (http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20070416/sheffield_01.shtml)

And some choice quotes;

GS: At this stage, I've heard some people say that when starting with an Xbox 360 version, they have trouble getting the PS3 version to look as good later on. It's interesting, because the PS3 is potentially more powerful.

JY: I think a lot of it has to do with slicing and dicing the task and moving it to each of the smaller processors. Those processors are really powerful, but you have to plan for it. We've spent the last two years re-architecturing our software so that you can have one interface that, when used appropriately, can get maximum use out of the SPUs. You do need to plan for that, and if you have one massive world presented as one object, it's a little more challenging. It takes preparation.

GS: I suppose it's because you can use bigger chunks on 360, whereas on PS3, you have to chop it up a lot more?

JY: Yeah, you have a more unified memory architecture on 360 and PC in general. I think that there are merits to both, though. If you can move the world over to many processors and structure the game so that you can dice stuff up, there's a lot of leading-edge technology out there that seems to be going in that direction. That might just be one of those paradigm shifts that the software development component of the game industry goes through over the next five or ten years.

Same thing, I guess. There were some developers who said the 360 will have a lead in graphics early on, but the PS3 will catch up and potentially have a lead later on. And this does however, really explains why most PS3 ports just look bleh compared to the XBOX 360's.

I don't want to care how hard it was for the game developers to make the game though, and hold my allegiance to the system that is easier to develop for, that's just too fanboyish for me. So for now, without any doubt the PS3 ports DOES look worse than the XBOX 360's, but this will change in maybe 5, 6 months. So in the meantime Sony, get some great exclusives for your system, please.

civil_dead
04-16-2007, 09:38 PM
I agree with the sentiments stating that this interview seemed over the top. I really got the sense that he was more concerned with promoting the PS3 than his game at times.

I can understand being excited about your game, what you're doing with your game and how your game is doing things you feel are new. Really, I can. But this interview seemed to slather the PS3 love more than the game love, to me.

I mean, after reading it I had to look at some midget porn to wash off the dirty feeling.

Watership
04-16-2007, 11:50 PM
All this theorizing about the potential power of the PS3 is fine and well. The PS3 games will look better. They will wow us. But do we really think the power of the 360 is maxed already? Console developers know how to squeeze the best out of these devices. 360 games will continue to look better and better.

It's going to be an interesting race.

temmink
04-17-2007, 12:38 AM
Thats exactly how I read it; Not only can the 360 do what the Ps3 does, its easier!

So does this mean that we will see Lair on the 360 in the future?
Actually I think what he means is that the ps3 is capable of more if a title is initially developed and optimised for it, if something is developed multi platform then having a focus on utilising the cell early-on will be beneficial. I think what he was TRYING to say is that the 360 is easier to develop for but doesn't have the same potential.

Sony hard but huge potential, 360 easy but we are probably already seeing the limitations of the hardware. At least that is what he is alluding to in my estimation...

I have no beef with him supporting his system and personally I hope both systems fulfil their full potential because the biggest beneficiaries of that outcome will be all of us. I don't understand why everyone is so partisan over the issue.

Nimos
04-17-2007, 12:38 AM
Any chances of a Gamecube port ? :p

bKangy
04-17-2007, 01:14 AM
What changes about the controller? Thatís my one gripe with the 360. It is very nicely done. Donít get me wrong. On the controls, nothing changed. Sony and Nintendo went the extra mile. Nintendo went the extra 10,000 miles. But Sony said we have to have something fresh in every area.

Wait, what? Sony put Sixaxis in because they were too cheap to pay for rumble. Several months after it became the centre of the Wii and what it was about. And also stole the "home" button from MS. Nobody is allowed to say Sony is doing anything fresh with controls.

Elysium
04-17-2007, 01:47 AM
Err... Were these the guys behind Battle for Naboo?

And the ones who said 1080p is required to actually SEE the games?

Nuff' said

Joestar
04-17-2007, 05:21 AM

Nuff' said

No. Rogue Squadron. Pretty good game, good looking too.

jadkins555
04-17-2007, 08:00 AM

Nuff' said

They said HDMI is required to see the games.

silv
04-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Actually I think what he means is that the ps3 is capable of more if a title is initially developed and optimised for it, if something is developed multi platform then having a focus on utilising the cell early-on will be beneficial. I think what he was TRYING to say is that the 360 is easier to develop for but doesn't have the same potential.

Sony hard but huge potential, 360 easy but we are probably already seeing the limitations of the hardware. At least that is what he is alluding to in my estimation...

I have no beef with him supporting his system and personally I hope both systems fulfil their full potential because the biggest beneficiaries of that outcome will be all of us. I don't understand why everyone is so partisan over the issue.

I believe it's simpler than that.

Because the 360 has a more classical CPU, it can run many different types of workloads pretty well.

Since the PS3 is extremely specialized with specific capabilties on each SPE, it requires a very specialized design of your code.

Running this specially designed code on the 360, and it runs fairly well. Run the general purpoes code on the PS3, and it runs terribly.

92miata
04-22-2007, 09:12 PM
I don't know if you're alone, but you have some who disagree; mightily. (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28495)

I personally am not terribly impressed myself.

WOW I AM IMPRESSED WITH THE VIDEOS!

note to self. after work tomorrow, empty the closet and find my ps3.

:)

but i am serious about being impressed!