PDA

View Full Version : New Japanese RPGs Headed To DS & Wii

Tricky Thumb
04-09-2007, 06:40 AM
Cubed3 News is reporting (http://www.cubed3.com/news/7237) on a very good development for RPG fans who own a Wii and/or a DS.

For those thinking Image Epoch rings a bell, well that is because it is the development team that completed the gorgeous Luminous Arc for Marvelous Interactive on the DS recently, a game that is heading to the US in Q3 2007. Anyway, the company has now recruited Kazuya Niinou, who left Atlus R&D 1 in February of this year after growing in stature after working on Trauma Centre: Under the Knife and Etrian Odyssey as director and game designer, both for DS.

In addition to this, the owner of Image Epoch, and director of Luminous Arc, Mikage Ryoei, has brought another project lead to the company - Hiroyuki Kanemaru, who was previously at Telenet Japan and then moved to Namco's Tales Studio, where he worked as scenario script director and level concept designer on Tales of Symphonia.

Kanemaru-san has been put as the director of an original RPG called Project Ray, which he has gone on record as stating will be influenced by old-school RPGs from systems such as the PC-Engine/Turbo-grafx (a format he has worked on in the past).

Finally, the company is said to be working with Konami and Sega at the moment, and is (most importantly in this context) focusing on the Wii and DS!

Any RPG news for Wii and DS is good news to me! Both systems are especially lacking for them.

Doctor Setebos
04-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Any RPG news for Wii and DS is good news to me! Both systems are especially lacking for them.QFT! This is fantastic news! I was hoping Opoona (http://www.google.com/search?q=opoona) wouldn't be the ONLY RPG to look forward to on the Wii. :rolleyes:

Gorvi
04-09-2007, 06:57 AM
Very interesting. I'll be keeping a very close eye on this stuff, especially the DS RPGs.

Spigot
04-09-2007, 07:36 AM
Never heard of Opoona, but it looks really cool.

Anyway, very nice pedigree for those chaps mentioned above, so I'll definately be looking forward to whatever they put out. I loved Tales of Symphonia and adore Trauma Center, insane difficulty and all.

I've never heard of Etrian Odyssey though. What was it out for?

And I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for Luminous Arc.

51|RandoM
04-09-2007, 12:44 PM
DS is a great fit for basic, oldschool JRPGs. Port as many as you want, I'll buy every one.

Won't work on the Wii, though, due to competition. Well, it'll work for the people who only have a Wii, I suppose.

Syl
04-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Any RPG news for Wii and DS is good news to me! Both systems are especially lacking for them.
I wouldn't really say the DS is lacking in RPGs, there is quite a fair number of RPGs for the system - sadly most are only mediocre in quality.

I've heard wonderful things about Luminous Arc, i can't way for it to come out.

Xenkylm
04-09-2007, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't really say the DS is lacking in RPGs, there is quite a fair number of RPGs for the system - sadly most are only mediocre in quality.

Yeah, the Wii is really the only one of the two that's missing the RPG element. Between Mario and Luigi Partners in time (sort of a quasi RPG, admittedly, but hella fun), Lunar, the Mana series, the ported/upgraded FF III, Puzzle Quest (I wish I could find it :(), the upcoming FF XII: RW, FF:Fables - Chocobo Tales... the list goes on and on. Some of theme are pretty good though. I highly recommend picking up the Mario and Luigi RPG if you're bored and want to play that kind of game.

Evil Avnovice
04-09-2007, 01:50 PM
I've never heard of Etrian Odyssey though. What was it out for?

It's for the DS in Japan, and Play described it as an ultra-hardcore PC RPG for it when getting a hands-on with an import copy.

1up.com (http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3158480)

Spigot
04-09-2007, 02:29 PM
It's for the DS in Japan, and Play described it as an ultra-hardcore PC RPG for it when getting a hands-on with an import copy.

1up.com (http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3158480)Interesting... I'll have to keep my eyes peeled!

Edit: AH! Now that I've read up on it, no thanks. I never was a fan of first person dungeon crawls back in the day when they were the only things around, and I'm STILL not a fan. It's cool that they're doing it and I'm sure it'll be great, but keep it away from me!