PDA

View Full Version : Who needs a Wiimote? Use your hands! (video)

Fronz
03-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Via TheLastBoss (http://thelastboss.com/post.phtml?pk=2531) :

"Using a $30 dollar camera and this piece of Podtech software that's still in development, you can play with computers just like Tom Cruise did in Minority Report, by grabbing files by the nipples and dragging them around the screen. Using topological depth technology, it figures out what's the static background, and differentiates it between the changing foreground. By pinching areas within the camera's view you section off ovals which you can use to rotate and move around the display, and the researcher said more gestures are being worked on. What you're looking at is basically an advanced, but limited, version of Eye Toy in disguise, but think about how many games you could use this technology with. Waving to other people on PlayStation Home, pointing soldiers around the battlefield, clicking on enemies in W.O.W., literally grabbing Pikmin on screen and throwing them around, giving a last boss the finger before delivering the final blow, and of course, grabbing boobs.

Expect Microsoft to use this technology to jump into the motion sensitivity scene late (even though they had it first with a failed controller years ago). Instead of a knock-off Wiimote they'll just let you do it with your hands by inserting a chip in your wrist. I always knew Bill Gates would beat everyone else to the 'mark of the beast' technology and prove that he's the devil. "
Editor's Note - Holy long-freaking tagless quote, Batman! - fitbabits via torrefaction

torrefaction
03-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Holy long-freaking tagless quote Batman!

pseudopseudo
03-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Ain't that the truth... why even post a link, when the whole article is right there?

Or, the inverse, if you're going to post the whole article, why not include the video as well? ;)

Manzy
03-30-2007, 06:27 PM
This sounds so much better than the Wii-mote if it can be done properly. I would totally love to play a first person shooter using my hand gun.

UnderHero5
03-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Hmm... reminds me an awful lot of the Eye Toy. I'm not impressed. Instead of recognizing colors like some of the Eye Toy games, this recognizes shapes. Big whoop.

The Continental
03-30-2007, 06:41 PM
As with most things in life, be it video gaming, home repair, or "affairs of the heart", you really can't go wrong with that titular advice.

Manzy
03-30-2007, 06:44 PM
Hmm... reminds me an awful lot of the Eye Toy. I'm not impressed. Instead of recognizing colors like some of the Eye Toy games, this recognizes shapes. Big whoop.

I think recognizing (moving) shapes is a lot better then color. I'll admit I really don't know how the eye toy really works, as I have never played it, but I wasn't aware it could do things like letting you drag and drop things with your hands.

Fronz
03-30-2007, 07:15 PM

I am but a lowly EvAv Knight, my apologies. And yeah, they need to work on an improved Eye Toy like this.

Neuro
03-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Very interesting. Nice find.

ElectroDruid
03-30-2007, 07:38 PM
I think recognizing (moving) shapes is a lot better then color. I'll admit I really don't know how the eye toy really works, as I have never played it, but I wasn't aware it could do things like letting you drag and drop things with your hands.

The Eyeyoy is just a webcam: There is no cunning motion sensing/shape recogintion/colour recognition technology built into it, it's up to the developers to write that stuff. Yes, you can drag and drop stuff with your hands using an Eyetoy, but quite often it depends on how good the lighting is in your living room.

Tech-wise, motion sensing is easy. Colour recognition is not so easy, but still doable, so long as you can track how the colour changes as it moves into different patches of light. Tracking shapes is pretty hardcore. The colour stuff needs to be calibrated by the player, but when you combine motion with colour you can get a pretty impressive degree of accuracy when tracking stuff, not a million miles away from what you can do with a Wiimote or a mouse pointer. The amount of processing power needed to recognise shapes is so high that I'm sceptical that that approach would be more useful than combining simpler stuff than movement and colour, but I'm willing to be proved wrong.

HotCod
03-30-2007, 07:43 PM
picking up color is hard but not what this is about and as far as shapes go i think the eye toy just picks out shapes in '2d' from the image and that it. What this is aiming to do is work out where that shape is in 3d space useing the background for refrances. So the eye toy will see a hand from faraway as a small shape getting bigger as you come closer this will work out how that object is moving in the 3d space relative to the cam. So i don't see why if they can do it you coulnd't 'reach behind' things and such which most of this kind of softwear would have a hard time doing.

I of course could be complety wrong

edit:

oh and i use eyetoy when talking about the softwear you use on it, the eyetoy is just a webcam.

Ph00p
03-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Who needs a wiimote? Well anybody that wants to take advantage of the technology it offers ALREADY, that means TODAY not who knows how many years down the road til this gets into our hands.

Kamalot
03-30-2007, 08:55 PM
giving a last boss the finger before delivering the final blow, and of course, grabbing boobs.Are a lot of games based around these mechanics? I had no idea we needed new input mechanics for birdie-flipping and mammary-fondling in games.

violentp
03-30-2007, 09:03 PM
This whole story feels a little exaggerated to me.

Rook34
03-30-2007, 09:40 PM
I always knew Bill Gates would beat everyone else to the 'mark of the beast' technology and prove that he's the devil. "

Owie.. Frosted Wheat being shot through the nose from laughter hurts. Now there's cereal all over my keyboard.

RMan
03-30-2007, 10:07 PM
That was really an excellent video, IMO. He explained what was going on fairly well and made a point to indicate that the current iteration was streamlined for that operation. The article writer clearly doesn’t understand the limitations of what he was looking at, but the guy in the video did a really nice job.

Pluvious
03-30-2007, 10:24 PM
Great news.. just one more tiny step toward true virtual reality. I hope I get to see that realised in my lifetime.

Siraris
03-30-2007, 11:40 PM
This is all stuff that the new EyeToy has been showing off for a while now.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L17O43X39cg

This has been one of the reasons I've been so excited about PS3. Internal EyeToy trailer for PS3. I just don't get why Sony hasn't been pushing this like crazy from the start. As the article states, though, this tech is more limited. I can see it being cool as an addon to some games or perhaps marketplace games, but not as exciting as the Eyetoy looks to be.

RMan
03-30-2007, 11:55 PM
I just don't get why Sony hasn't been pushing this like crazy from the start.
Well, that kind of tech is very complicated, and I see very little chance that they have software that make it work nearly as well as they suggest in the videos. I think if they pushed it real hard people would be very dissapointed with what what they got.

bapenguin
03-31-2007, 05:44 AM
This is all stuff that the new EyeToy has been showing off for a while now.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L17O43X39cg

This has been one of the reasons I've been so excited about PS3. Internal EyeToy trailer for PS3. I just don't get why Sony hasn't been pushing this like crazy from the start. As the article states, though, this tech is more limited. I can see it being cool as an addon to some games or perhaps marketplace games, but not as exciting as the Eyetoy looks to be.

Microsoft was showing something similar off at E3 2006 as well. Plus they had that patent for the whole spatial recognition thing.

It'd be really cool if things would work like they would in the trailer, but it's quite obvious it's a marketing trailer and not a tech demo.

Siraris
03-31-2007, 09:53 AM
Microsoft was showing something similar off at E3 2006 as well. Plus they had that patent for the whole spatial recognition thing.

It'd be really cool if things would work like they would in the trailer, but it's quite obvious it's a marketing trailer and not a tech demo.

Have you seen the live tech demo (http://youtube.com/watch?v=hqkyo6Es1Ic) of the guy taking a glass and using it to pick up water in the tub filled with ducks? Or all the things that you can do with the crippled Eyetoy for PS2? The video may be put together in a marketing way, but it's definitely realistic in that you can do those things.

You can go check out the tech used in the new HD Eyetoy here (http://www.primesense.com/?q=Technology) and it is pretty much confirmed to do all the things that the Youtube video has shown. I don't know why Sony has dropped off the map about it, as I think it could make the PS3 much more popular than the Wii at this point, but there must be a reason. Either patent related or they are just waiting for some big software to show the thing off.

Schnoogs
03-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Looks really crude at this point but promising none the less

torrefaction
03-31-2007, 10:37 AM
Hahaha...I got frontpaged!

Kamalot
03-31-2007, 04:30 PM
Have you seen the live tech demo (http://youtube.com/watch?v=hqkyo6Es1Ic) of the guy taking a glass and using it to pick up water in the tub filled with ducks? Or all the things that you can do with the crippled Eyetoy for PS2? The video may be put together in a marketing way, but it's definitely realistic in that you can do those things.

You can go check out the tech used in the new HD Eyetoy here (http://www.primesense.com/?q=Technology) and it is pretty much confirmed to do all the things that the Youtube video has shown. I don't know why Sony has dropped off the map about it, as I think it could make the PS3 much more popular than the Wii at this point, but there must be a reason. Either patent related or they are just waiting for some big software to show the thing off.From what I understand, lighting has to be perfect in your setup to get accurate readings for these vision-based solutions. Even in the video of the original post, the user's hands are very light above a very dark background, making the job of determining foreground and background that much easier.

Once you take something out of a presentation setting, and ask people to set up the same tools in their home, any number of things can happen that are less than ideal. My setup has a projector in the back of the room, projecting a huge 85 inch image towards the screen. I've tried both the original Eye Toy as well as the Microsoft Vision Camera, and neither work at all. Why? My projector throws off a tremendous amount of light that is picked up by the camera, preventing it from 'seeing' any of the players in the room.

These things make great tech demos, but outside of the demonstration, they are less than ideal for gaming. Perhaps someday they will be implemented in a fairly fool-proof fashion that everyone can use right out of the box.

I will agree with you on this point though: Sony's eye toy is a big differentiator, and Sony should be pushing it HARD. I'd even go so far as to state that the Eye Toy 2 should be included in EVERY PS3 as a selling point. If it was, developers would actually make games and applications for it knowing that every PS3 user has the opportunity to take advantage of it.