PDA

View Full Version : Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Officially Named (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

fitbabits
03-15-2007, 08:32 AM
Official Press Release:

Codemasters today revealed Turning Point™: Fall of Liberty* as the official title for the upcoming alternate-reality WWII shooter currently in development at Spark Unlimited.

Turning Point™: Fall of Liberty is scheduled as a major Q4 '07 launch for Codemasters, and will be available for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, and PC.

In 1931 Winston Churchill survived being struck by a taxi while crossing the street in New York. What if Churchill had died and wasn't alive to voice the battle cry that inspired the Allied troops to confront the Nazi war machine? What if England had surrendered to Hitler? What if there was no D-Day, and Pearl Harbor never happened? What if the United States never entered WWII until WWII came knocking at its front door?
More to follow...

fitbabits
03-15-2007, 08:33 AM
In the midst of this evolved WWII reality, Turning Point™: Fall of Liberty opens in 1952 as Nazi forces land a well planned surprise attack on the gateway of the United States eastern coast – New York. Nazi battleships quickly take the harbour, German aircraft pound the city streets with ordinance, and Zeppelins and assault blimps deploy troops to take the city block by block. With New York falling to pieces, and Washington D.C. in enemy sights, will anyone be able to stop the Nazi Blitzkrieg on American soil.

Striking a unique balance between wartime authenticity while also bringing a fresh perspective to the WWII genre through an alternate timeline and advanced weaponry, Turning Point™: Fall of Liberty will be a very personal battle for the player. As a civilian in these new battlegrounds, it's time to fight afresh against the world's most notorious war machine.

Depicting a Second World War never before imagined, Turning Point™: Fall of Liberty is set to be published this winter by Codemasters.
* - Previously announced as "Fall of Liberty"

kokyunage
03-15-2007, 08:36 AM
"Turning Point: Fall of Liberty"?

For a second I thought someone made a game about the Bush Administration. I'll be here all week...

Gorvi
03-15-2007, 08:37 AM
That definately sounds interesting. Couldn't they have done a WWI game though? I wasn't even alive during WWII but I feel like I lived through it 12 times over by now.

Spigot
03-15-2007, 08:37 AM
I like that version of an alternate WWII. Of course, I'm a sucker for those kinds of thought experiments and if they can pull this off so it doesn't just feel like Call Of Duty 50: This Time The Nazis Win, well, that'd be pretty sweet.

Plus it has assault blimps and zepplin. I'm a sucker for dirigibles of all sizes.

Kweli
03-15-2007, 08:40 AM
That definately sounds interesting. Couldn't they have done a WWI game though? I wasn't even alive during WWII but I feel like I lived through it 12 times over by now.

Im actually getting a purple heart for my outstanding performance in all the WWII games ive conquered

Asmodan
03-15-2007, 08:43 AM
I love these alternate history type things, I find the whole 'what if' concept really interesting.

Oddly the news item doesn't really mention what type of game this is... FPS? RTS? Turned based tactical?

fitbabits
03-15-2007, 08:46 AM
I love these alternate history type things, I find the whole 'what if' concept really interesting.

Oddly the news item doesn't really mention what type of game this is... FPS? RTS? Turned based tactical?
I just checked the site and found this:

It’s from this premise that Fall Of Liberty takes it’s theme - without Churchill’s leadership, Europe and the United Kingdom have fallen to Hitler’s forces. By 1951, using crushing technical superiority, the United States is invaded and defeated by the Third Reich.

With this setting, Fall Of Liberty will be an FPS experience like no other; a game that’s both a World War 2 FPS and something different. Fighting not as a soldier, but a resistance fighter in a United States of America that’s under the rule of a foreign power.

Exclusive to next-generation platforms and PC, Fall Of Liberty breathes new life into the FPS genre.
FPS, yet again.

Blue
03-15-2007, 08:47 AM
Yeah, like most the idea of another WWII game does absolutely nothing for me no matter how pretty it looks or what interesting innovations the developers decide to dump into it. I can only take so much Normandy storming.

I will say, though, that this is at least a new spin on a tired genre and fighting Nazis on Broadway is, I suppose, different. But they're still Nazis. And it's still kinda WWII. I realize they're the near ideal blueprint for the perfect bad guy, but seriously come on. It's sad when it gets to a point where I don't even take a game seriously anymore or give it a second look because it's been so overdone.

Zawath
03-15-2007, 08:47 AM
The story is pretty stupid. They seem to forget that even without the USA, Russia would have defeated Germany.

fitbabits
03-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Yeah, like most the idea of another WWII game does absolutely nothing for me no matter how pretty it looks or what interesting innovations the developers decide to dump into it. I can only take so much Normandy storming.

I will say, though, that this is at least a new spin on a tired genre and fighting Nazis on Broadway is, I suppose, different. But they're still Nazis. And it's still kinda WWII. I realize they're the near ideal blueprint for the perfect bad guy, but seriously come on. It's sad when it gets to a point where I don't even take a game seriously anymore or give it a second look because it's been so overdone.
Blue's back! Just thought I'd join the chorus. Welcome back...

Carry on.

Blue
03-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Blue's back! Just thought I'd join the chorus. Welcome back...

Carry on.

Haha, thanks man.

The Continental
03-15-2007, 09:09 AM
In 1931 Winston Churchill survived being struck by a taxi while crossing the street in New York. What if Churchill had died and wasn't alive to voice the battle cry that inspired the Allied troops to confront the Nazi war machine? That's the absolute best alternate reality scenario they could come up with? Seriously?

axion
03-15-2007, 09:16 AM
The story is pretty stupid. They seem to forget that even without the USA, Russia would have defeated Germany.
Care to explain? Russia had a pretty terrible army during WWII and suffered more military casualties than the other allies combined. I don't see how they could have beaten the Germans. Back on topic, I think this story actually sounds interesting. Hopefully they do some innovative stuff game play wise as well, because obviously WWII has been done to death.

KingGorilla
03-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Are alternate history WWII shooters, with colons in their titles the new black?

roboninja
03-15-2007, 09:39 AM
Well, this sounds pretty interesting to me. At least it is an alternate reality WWII FPS, right? Will keep this on my radar to see how it shapes up. Hopefully we see some more alternate reality-type games, and not all in the overdone WWII scenario.

Zawath
03-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Care to explain? Russia had a pretty terrible army during WWII and suffered more military casualties than the other allies combined. I don't see how they could have beaten the Germans. Back on topic, I think this story actually sounds interesting. Hopefully they do some innovative stuff game play wise as well, because obviously WWII has been done to death.

It was in the beginning but the late war Soviet army was very good. Germans tried to invade Russia but failed miserably and the Soviet counterattack totally devasted their army so there's just no way Germany would have beaten Russia.

Apex
03-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Care to explain? Russia had a pretty terrible army during WWII and suffered more military casualties than the other allies combined.

Oh I dunno, how about the fact that the Russians won the race to Berlin?

roboninja
03-15-2007, 09:54 AM
It was in the beginning but the late war Soviet army was very good. Germans tried to invade Russia but failed miserably and the Soviet counterattack totally devasted their army so there's just no way Germany would have beaten Russia.
Maybe, but they could have co-existed and stopped major hostilities.
EDIT: Probably not, I am talking out of my ass, and have no real facts to back that up :D

Com_Gaunt
03-15-2007, 10:35 AM

Yep, 19 million Russians died to take the bite out of the nazis.
The Germany had remained at peace with the Russians, the allied invasion would have been futile.
Stalingrad anyone?

KingGorilla
03-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Well yeah...but we had to swim across the fucking ocean first.

Com_Gaunt
03-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Read the book "enemy at the gates" which is written by an American who did all kinds of research/interviews on the battle of Stalingrad in the 70's.
Link: http://www.amazon.com/Enemy-at-gates-battle-Stalingrad/dp/076074677X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/104-6583894-7493566?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173976712&sr=8-3

I am not trying to take away anything from the excellent allied soldiers and their efforts during WW2, but objectively if you know the stats on all what was going on during that time, it was the Russians that won WW2.
Then again, the allied nations had a finger in that effort also, because they supplied food and supplies to the Russians at that time.

Jack Random
03-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Remember kids, don't fight a war on two fronts!

Especially when a Russian winter is involved in one of them. That said, it's conceivable that with Britain out of the equation and the US not in the war, that Russia would have been defeated

Lunar Blue
03-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Damn, they should stop letting 10-year-old kids come up with these names. I for one just can't look at that tittle without smirking. Here's one for the sequel, no need to thank me: "Freedom Resistance: Fall of Terror".

On the topic of WW2, I'm not much of an expert (no, that does not nullify my opinnion) but saying that the russians beat the nazis themselves is bullshit. You have to realize that when you have two fronts in opposite directions, you have to split everything. It wasn't until 1944 when the russians started to invade territories captured by the nazis. You ask me, a lot of their success was due to the germans having to divert their resources to the western front.

Mason
03-15-2007, 11:23 AM
What if Churchill had died and wasn't alive to voice the battle cry that inspired the Allied troops to confront the Nazi war machine? What if England had surrendered to Hitler? What if there was no D-Day, and Pearl Harbor never happened? What if the United States never entered WWII until WWII came knocking at its front door?
I'm willing to wager that the answer to these questions involves one man killing an awful lot of Nazis.

Returner
03-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Back on topic: Hopefully Spark can do a better job then their last game. It was pretty bad. CoD: FH.

Eric_T_Cheng
03-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Then again, the allied nations had a finger in that effort also, because they supplied food and supplies to the Russians at that time.

Such as yummy Spam!

Zanzibar
03-15-2007, 11:51 AM
That's the absolute best alternate reality scenario they could come up with? Seriously?
Well, they couldn't get the rights to 'Edith Keeler's Peace Movement Prevents US Entry Into WWII.'

*Bonus kudos to whoever first identifies it.*

atariv8
03-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Iron Storm anyone?

Com_Gaunt
03-15-2007, 12:07 PM
On the topic of WW2, I'm not much of an expert (no, that does not nullify my opinnion) but saying that the russians beat the nazis themselves is bullshit. You have to realize that when you have two fronts in opposite directions, you have to split everything. It wasn't until 1944 when the russians started to invade territories captured by the nazis. You ask me, a lot of their success was due to the germans having to divert their resources to the western front.

The issue is that since 1941 the Germans had been attacking Russia and send many of their Elite Troops there to the fight the Russians.
Your assesment of "You ask me, a lot of their success was due to the germans having to divert their resources to the western front" is totally incorrect which is probably why nobody is asking you and you are very much right when you state "I'm not much of an expert".
The Nazis invaded Russia, were very successfull and many Russians died.
I remember 19 million myself, but when I checked online just now I caught sources stating 30 million russians total, not sure what the real numbers are.
Anyone, one could state that Europe is free from the Nazis due to russian blood.

Please read the following, one might question wikipedia for it's accuracy, but overal the article looks allright to me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Front_%28World_War_II%29

timmyd
03-15-2007, 12:21 PM

Hahahaah!!!! I love you man.
Really. D-Day wasn't about defeating evil. It was about who got which parts after the evil was defeated.

Lunar Blue
03-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Your assesment of "You ask me, a lot of their success was due to the germans having to divert their resources to the western front" is totally incorrect which is probably why nobody is asking you and you are very much right when you state "I'm not much of an expert".

I have news for you; telling someone they are wrong and their opinnion is uninformed isn't enough to make you right. Maybe you should try throwing in some facts to back you up next time.

The Nazis invaded Russia, were very successfull and many Russians died. I remember 19 million myself, but when I checked online just now I caught sources stating 30 million russians total, not sure what the real numbers are.

So because a lot of Russians died that makes their effort count more? Or could it be that their tactics were so inferior it took more sacrifices to get things done?

Anyone, one could state that Europe is free from the Nazis due to russian blood.

*sigh* I didn't deny the involvement of Russia in the war. What i said is that saying they could have won the war without other allied countries is bullshit.

Franjo
03-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Hmm I've yet to see Stalingrad on DVD, I know they re-released it awhile back remastered.....I think I might buy that and watch it on the weekend.

ps...russians are hardcore

PulpExposure
03-15-2007, 06:13 PM
*sigh* I didn't deny the involvement of Russia in the war. What i said is that saying they could have won the war without other allied countries is bullshit.

Not quite. Of the roughly 8 million German soldiers killed in WW2, 7 million were killed by the Soviets. Which tells you they most all of the heavy lifting, bleeding the Germans to death. The Soviets had a massive advantage in natural resources and manpower (like an 8x manpower advantage). The Soviets could afford to throw away lives, knowing that they could just overwhelm the Germans. There's a saying in WW2 history, "The road to Moscow was paved with the blood of Germany". Look at this list of the bloodiest battles in history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_lethal_battles_in_world_history#Sieges_and_ur ban_combat) and notice that the two seminal Soviet victories are 1 and 2. Where's the first Western Allies victory on that list?

The German Army was crumbling well before the Western Allies put their feet on the continent. Go learn about Stalingrad (1942) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stalingrad)and Kursk, Kharkov, Prokhorovka and Bagration (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kursk) (July 1943, nearly a full year before D-Day). Those were massive defeats on a scale unimaginable to what was faced on the Western Front. Kursk, for instance (afaik) remains the largest tank battle in history, with 2.3 million soldiers total involved in that battle. At Stalingrad alone, the German army lost 800,000 men.

After those battles, the German Army was in disarray and falling back in defeat. The D-Day landings hastened the defeat of the Nazi Regime, but only hastened it. It was inevitable.

Hemalin
03-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Well, they couldn't get the rights to 'Edith Keeler's Peace Movement Prevents US Entry Into WWII.'

*Bonus kudos to whoever first identifies it.*
Star Trek reference? I don't know if the name is right but the idea is similar.

Edit: City on the Edge of Forever.

Blue
03-15-2007, 09:47 PM
What if Churchill had died and wasn't alive to voice the battle cry that inspired the Allied troops to confront the Nazi war machine? What if England had surrendered to Hitler? What if there was no D-Day, and Pearl Harbor never happened? What if the United States never entered WWII until WWII came knocking at its front door?

I'm willing to wager that the answer to these questions involves one man killing an awful lot of Nazis.

I would just like to take the time to draw attention to how brilliant this response is.

Carry on.