PDA

View Full Version : XBLA Wednesday: Paperboy

Psykoboy2
02-12-2007, 03:29 PM
This comes by way of Team Xbox (http://www.teamxbox.com/):

Microsoft announced today that “Paperboy”will be this week’s Xbox Live Arcade Wednesdays release. The much-loved arcade classic from the 1980’s will be available for download on Xbox Live Arcade for 400 Microsoft Points beginning Wednesday, Feb. 14, at 9 a.m. GMT (1 a.m. PST).

I downloaded Root Beer Tapper and regret it. This, however, should make up for my wrong doings

Johan
02-12-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm happy with Root Beer Tapper. Hell, it was only five bucks, after all.

I've never played this one. Someone sell non-Paperboy-players on this one...why should I buy it?

Grimmjow
02-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Awesome.....I always love me some Paper Boy.....( not in that way though)

mkelehan
02-12-2007, 03:58 PM
I downloaded Root Beer Tapper and regret it. This, however, should make up for my wrong doingsThen play it some more. You'll be a convert soon enough. Tapper is easily my favorite game on XBLA.

WastelandDan
02-12-2007, 04:02 PM
I'll say it once more for all of us: where the fuck is SotN?!

EGO
02-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Paperboy wasn't a terribly fun game "back in da day". Another disappointing Wednesday.

Yeah, I'm the first one to defend Forum Fighters from shitting on developers/publishers, but seriously, XBLA could be SO GREAT if they did like Virtual Console and released MORE THAN ONE THING each week. I mean, how hard is it to release a retro game for people into that *and* an original game? It's not like they're saving up stuff to make sure they don't have a gap, because they've had plenty of gaps.

Microsoft's got a great opportunity, but if they don't watch out, Sony & Nintendo will catch up and roll them over.

Paperboy, indeed...

johnperkins21
02-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Paperboy is basically a next generation Zaxxon, with a bit of irreverent humor thrown in for good measure. It's even got some strategy going in as you need to keep up your customers by making them happy. One of the best parts of the game is the fun little bonus stage at the end.

Download the demo, and you'll be hooked (if the controls don't ruin yet another XBLA game).

Yeti2005
02-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Paperboy and Rootbeer Tapper before it aren't exactly the titles I'm looking forward to on XLBA. I guess the good news is these titles are making way for Worms, Sotn, Settlers of Catan, etc.

dr_wily
02-12-2007, 04:08 PM
hey! am i the only one who loves tapper?

best 5 bucks ive spent in a while.. love the leaderboards and such

im tired of all the whining on the major sites about this one.

now i dont have to go to the mcmenamins downtown and play on the ultracade.

The Continental
02-12-2007, 04:08 PM
I want Worms and I refuse to settle for anything less in my first XBLA purchase. Even if it does mean missing out on throwing newspapers at old people while outrunning the grim reaper on my bike.

Telefrog
02-12-2007, 04:15 PM
The good news is that once these craptastic titles are out of the way, we'll have a few weeks in a row of XBLA bliss!

Grimmjow
02-12-2007, 04:22 PM
I want Worms and I refuse to settle for anything less in my first XBLA purchase. Even if it does mean missing out on throwing newspapers at old people while outrunning the grim reaper on my bike.

but out running the reaper and hitting old people with newspapers is hawt!

All the cool kids do it!!

YoungAlCapone
02-12-2007, 04:32 PM
I've never played this one. Someone sell non-Paperboy-players on this one...why should I buy it?

Don't, I say.

It is a great game to get all nostalgic with, but it did not age well at all. If you didn't play it back in its day then you will likely not understand why it has remained popular.

I loved it as a kid, but don't think I will be picking it up again. I'll have to give Tapper a try, as I haven't yet and it has been years since I have played that game.

Johan
02-12-2007, 04:39 PM

Potential bad news... (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25340)

Hope Worms is awesome, but we'll have to see...

And thanks for the feedback, YoungAlCapone! Much appreciated.

Tel Prydain
02-12-2007, 05:05 PM
*Sulks*
Catan, Catan, Catan!

Watership
02-12-2007, 05:09 PM
This comes by way of Team Xbox (http://www.teamxbox.com/):

I downloaded Root Beer Tapper and regret it. This, however, should make up for my wrong doings

You downloaded the free demo and regret it?

Or you downloaded the demo, liked it, and bought the full game and regret it?

Or you didn't play the demo, bought the game, and regret it?

I'm just asking because the fact that Xbox Live Arcade has demos allows you TO TRY THE GAME FIRST.

Psykoboy2
02-12-2007, 05:29 PM
I remember having fun playing it back when....so I bought it, and then wondered what the hell I liked about it to buy it in the first place.

NightRain
02-12-2007, 05:33 PM
I hesitated on Tapper, but totally love it. Great purchase, reminds me of old times in the arcade, multiplayer is a pretty good idea and works well enough considering the age of the game.

jpublic
02-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Allow me to repeat an earlier opinion for the home audience:

Where the fuck is SotN?

The Continental
02-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Potential bad news... (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25340)

Hope Worms is awesome, but we'll have to see...Apparently my parade forecast calls for a chance of showers. I guess it's better to have you soften the blow now than get my hopes up for what may be a lackluster release in a few weeks.

Utils
02-12-2007, 06:15 PM
The music in Paperboy is grand.

Oh and... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0PXuVc9Vgk)

Ailer
02-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Where the fuck is SotN?
*begins to cry*

Evil Avatar
02-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Welcome our newest Pink poster, Psykoboy2!

AbinSur
02-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Welcome to the club! Punch and pie in the back.

Psykoboy2
02-12-2007, 07:15 PM
mmm...Punch and pie

Disgustipated
02-12-2007, 07:41 PM

Only took you a week to make him pink, big man! :p

Talanvor
02-12-2007, 10:18 PM
So, they should have just said there's no SotN coming. Bastards.

I did play Paperboy, in the arcades. It was a blast but eh... I've got other games to be playing now!

Wolvie
02-12-2007, 11:35 PM
I downloaded Rootbeer tapper simply for the nostalgia value. But paperboy? THAT will be for playing until my thumbs bleed.

Kefkataran
02-13-2007, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I loved Rootbeer Tapper and will also be downloading and loving Paperboy.

rainbowblack
02-13-2007, 02:39 AM
Going to have to pass on Paperboy. Ive got 25$ in my XBL account and im saving that for either SotN or Worms.

I enjoyed Paperboy as a kid. But my heart is firmly set on the already mentioned games.

menage
02-13-2007, 02:41 AM
Can we please stop releasing the insanely crap live titles. This is getting embarressing.

RELEASE ORIGINAL CONTENT. Not pixeldrab.

Kefkataran
02-13-2007, 03:18 AM
Can we please stop releasing the insanely crap live titles. This is getting embarressing.

RELEASE ORIGINAL CONTENT. Not pixeldrab.

They've made it quite clear that XBLA is meant to be a mix between old and new content. I woudl've agreed with your rant a few months ago, but in the winter months they released a number of original games along with some retro content mixed in. Anyways, Paperboy is the second of a list of ten or so XBLA games they announced will be coming out one week at a time over the next couple months. The list was pretty evenly split between old stuff and new stuff. So you've got some things to look forward to.

Although you could just be one of those people who complains about the lack of original content but then doesn't actually buy any of the original content games.

Also: Paperboy is crap? What?

menage
02-13-2007, 04:10 AM
They've made it quite clear that XBLA is meant to be a mix between old and new content. I woudl've agreed with your rant a few months ago, but in the winter months they released a number of original games along with some retro content mixed in. Anyways, Paperboy is the second of a list of ten or so XBLA games they announced will be coming out one week at a time over the next couple months. The list was pretty evenly split between old stuff and new stuff. So you've got some things to look forward to.

Although you could just be one of those people who complains about the lack of original content but then doesn't actually buy any of the original content games.

Also: Paperboy is crap? What?

If it's good enough I'll defenitely buy it. I'm looking forward to Alien Hominid for instance. I bought Lumines, etc. So I'm not just complaining. I do feel that the original content delivered this winter and the retro titles were below standard. They just weren't that good (as in fun)

And Paperboy might not have been crap decades ago. But it certainly is now. I'm all for retro. But I'd rather have Tetris, or classics like Parodius, R-type, Final Fight, etc.

Retro doesn't necessarily mean aging dusty and boring. reminising is fine, but I'm not watching silent movies either.

Ailer
02-13-2007, 04:31 AM
reminising is fine, but I'm not watching silent movies either.
You sir, are missing out.

menage
02-13-2007, 07:18 AM
On what? Audio:p

YoungAlCapone
02-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Picked up Rootbeer Tapper this morning, and I love it.

PsychoticVile
02-13-2007, 11:32 AM
One Retro arcade game I would love to see from the same timeframe as Paperboy would be Skate or Die. That game was a blast to play.

Kefkataran
02-13-2007, 03:08 PM
If it's good enough I'll defenitely buy it. I'm looking forward to Alien Hominid for instance. I bought Lumines, etc. So I'm not just complaining. I do feel that the original content delivered this winter and the retro titles were below standard. They just weren't that good (as in fun)

And Paperboy might not have been crap decades ago. But it certainly is now. I'm all for retro. But I'd rather have Tetris, or classics like Parodius, R-type, Final Fight, etc.

Retro doesn't necessarily mean aging dusty and boring. reminising is fine, but I'm not watching silent movies either.

Why not? I'm in a Weimar period German film class right now, and there's some GREAT fucking silent movies out there.

YoungAlCapone
02-14-2007, 07:30 AM
One Retro arcade game I would love to see from the same timeframe as Paperboy would be Skate or Die. That game was a blast to play.

Skate or Die 2 as well, the ramp practice in that game consumed hours of my life in earlier years.

menage
02-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Why not? I'm in a Weimar period German film class right now, and there's some GREAT fucking silent movies out there.

Not for me. I've go friends who do occasionaly watch that kind of movies. But I don't find them worth my time. It's okay to enjoy some classics once in a while, but there's a whole range of movies from later periods I haven't even seen yet.,I've got hundreds of movies to see and games to play to waste my time with something I don't enjoy. I won't deny there are gems to be found.

Same reason paperboy doesn't interest me and Hominid does. I don't particulary enjoy classics just because they're classics.

Kefkataran
02-14-2007, 09:02 AM
Not for me. I've go friends who do occasionaly watch that kind of movies. But I don't find them worth my time. It's okay to enjoy some classics once in a while, but there's a whole range of movies from later periods I haven't even seen yet.,I've got hundreds of movies to see and games to play to waste my time with something I don't enjoy. I won't deny there are gems to be found.

Same reason paperboy doesn't interest me and Hominid does. I don't particulary enjoy classics just because they're classics.

To be fair going by your original complaint, Hominid isn't an original title for XBLA either. :) But I do know where you're coming from for sure and agree that we need less retro stuff on the whole. Thankfully, as I said, that big list they released lately had a good mix. It just looks like we're getting the retro stuff first.

SuperRymo
02-14-2007, 12:50 PM
I'll say it once more for all of us: where the fuck is SotN?!

I believe that was the correct response to this news.