PDA

View Full Version : Forget Price Cuts! Sony Brings You Price Increases!

torrefaction
01-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Gamerreports (http://www.gamersreports.com) has discovered (http://www.gamersreports.com/news/4876/sony-raises-ps3-price-in-canada/) that Sony has decided that now is a good time to raise the price in Canada. It's gone from $659 to $699.

It seems that Sony has made a minor price correction for the PS3 in Canada. Now the unit costs $50 dollars more, for a total of $699.99. Both Best Buy and Futureshop have the console listed at the new price, the old list used to be $659.99. What is Sony doing?

Is the PS3 selling really, really well in Canada or something? Feels like the Canucks are getting ripped off a bit here. Is the shipping that much different from the United States to Canada?

Editor - Thanks to ZeroOmegaZX for a similar submission

Nighthawk
01-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Whats next, price INcrease for the USA as well? I'm sure that would boost sales incredibly!

TrackZero
01-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Oh sweet fucking Christ you're kidding me.

Edit: And no, I don't know a single person with a PS3 or any interest at all in owning one. The only display units I've seen at stores have all been broken as well. So I can't imagine it's selling well here.

Swat
01-26-2007, 10:03 AM
I literally LOL'd at my desk! If anything they should be reducing the price or offering pack in games to get people to buy them north of the border. I've heard many stories about stores being frustrated with all the returns, and reps having to pester people to let them know they have PS3's in stock.

Entropy Effect
01-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Is the PS3 selling really, really well in Canada or something? Feels like the Canucks are getting ripped off a bit here. Is the shipping that much different from North America to Canada?

It does seem a little strange that they are raising the price, but at the current conversion rate 1 Canadian dollar is about $0.85, so 699 Canadian = $594.

Also, Canada is part of North America, and I don't think shipping costs has anything to do with the price increase.

krackmonkey
01-26-2007, 10:07 AM
umm, it's $40 more, not $50. I mean, it still sucks and whatnot- but it's simple goddamn math, people.

Doctor Setebos
01-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Sony Idiot #1: Well, the PS3 isn't selling well in the great white north, gentlemen.
Sony Idiot #2: Hey! Let's increase the price!
Sony Idiot #1: Holy FUCK! That's brilliant!
Sony Idiot #3: Those PS3's will literally FLY off the shelves!
Sony Idiots: Hooray! We hate consumers!

I'm paraphrasing, of course.

torrefaction
01-26-2007, 10:08 AM
umm, it's $40 more, not $50. I mean, it still sucks and whatnot- but it's simple goddamn math, people.

Wow. That's kinda funny. I just cut and paste their quote, and didn't catch that at all.

Kweli
01-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Wow, this cant be real... thats the cost of a game.... a game that the console DOESNT EVEN COME WITH

This is pathetic

bapenguin
01-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Has there ever been an increase in a console price before?

Psykoboy2
01-26-2007, 10:16 AM
I'd really like a reason for this. I don't understand at ALL why they would do this. I get that it's only $50 more, but as mentioned before, that's the price of a game, or even an extra controller. I want to beat this over the head with a hammer, but I'd really like a reason for the increase before I start throwing hammers.

Heretic Machine
01-26-2007, 10:22 AM
I'd say it is pretty obvious that they mispriced it to begin with, and this was the price they intended... But still, when you console isn't selling, you don't up the price, regardless of what you originally intended to sell it at.

Ozena
01-26-2007, 10:22 AM
I can't speak for the rest of Canada, but here in St. John's, Newfoundland, PS3's are not hard to come by. The EB nearest me has told me stories of guys coming in a week after PS3 launch and trading them for 360's or Wii's.

There's even multiple posters around university of people trying to unload their PS3's.

Maybe that's why the price went up, to make up for how shittily they're actually selling.

Edit: I know that goes against a lot of economic rules, but still :p.

Kweli
01-26-2007, 10:25 AM
This reminds me of the Simpson's episode... where they are stuck in a big ditch and the police chief yells "Dig UP stupid!"

Morangie
01-26-2007, 10:26 AM
People were able to afford one without working harder for it so Sony adjusted the price to meet the standards set by their executives. A meal at a top class restaurant just isn't the same if they let all the riff raff in.

torrefaction
01-26-2007, 10:29 AM
People were able to afford one without working harder for it, Sony just adjusted the price to meet the standards set by their executives. A meal at a top class restaurant just isn't the same if they let all the riff raff in.

I laughed. Out loud even.

Johan
01-26-2007, 10:30 AM
People were able to afford one without working harder for it, Sony just adjusted the price to meet the standards set by their executives. A meal at a top class restaurant just isn't the same if they let all the riff raff in.

Well said!

Pretty unusual...shocking, even...to have a price INCREASE shortly after a launch. As was asked earlier, I wonder if this has EVER happened before, under similar circumstances with a newly launched console?

GunnyMo
01-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Ain't that something. Don't worry, I'm sure there is a great PR campaign coming to back this up.

beefyjr
01-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Why didn't anyone at Sony catch this before launch? It seems like every day brings another story more ridiculous than the day before.

Kamalot
01-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Well, Ken already stated that the PS3 was too inexpensive. I suppose they are actually DOING something about it now.

KNOTE
01-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Eat it, Canada. Payback time for Celine Dion.

XenonCJ
01-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Eat it, Canada. Payback time for Celine Dion.FINALLY! That's what I've been saying all along!!

Thenetcase
Ain't that something. Don't worry, I'm sure there is a great PR campaign coming to back this up.

You mean where they go around and illegally spraypaint buildings like graffii artists? One of THOSE campaigns?
Or where they have a black slave in handcuffs and a white female bitch standing there saying, "White is coming"?

Hmm...

I wonder which it'll be.

Khash
Is the PS3 out in Canada? Were they being sold to people at the lower price before?

torrefaction
01-26-2007, 10:41 AM
You mean where they go around and illegally spraypaint buildings like graffii artists? One of THOSE campaigns?
Or where they have a black slave in handcuffs and a white female bitch standing there saying, "White is coming"?

Hmm...

I wonder which it'll be.

It could be a creepy baby that will, in all likelihood, eat your very SOUL.

Paranoia
01-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Canadians will have to work extra hard to earn their PS3.

Swat
01-26-2007, 10:42 AM

If you want to be really picky it ends up being $45 more with the 13% tax in BC applied. But who wants to argue over $5 really ;)

NoName
01-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Hehehe, I love Sony news, it's often the highlight of my day. Comedy clubs aint got nothin on Sony and their execs.

Tyrant
01-26-2007, 10:43 AM
The price increase was a likely result of the recent exchange rate woes. Even then, Sony reacted pretty damned fast to that. I mean, I don't recall them being that quick when the exchange rate was on the up and up.

Swat
01-26-2007, 10:44 AM

We're still waiting for payback on Carrot Top, Paris Hilton and Tommy Lee. You guys are winning the retard race so far, but then again it IS sheer numbers :)

Raziel
When you consider the price is now pretty much the same as the US one, it is obvious they made a mistake to begin with. Anyone close to Canada in the US, could've driven up North and picked up a console for $40 less than it is here. Now it's only a few bucks difference so who cares. Obviously a huge mistake to make, but now the pricing is uniform across North America.

Kem0sabe
I have no words... Sony is just too much...

Atorak
01-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Obviously, Sony felt the PS3 was too much of a bargain at $659.00. A steal, if you will...

Shjinta
01-26-2007, 10:49 AM

How is that payback? When you do something as payback you generally want it to actually affect people.. This doesn't affect anyone. Just makes those even crazier people not pick up an already over-raited POS system.

KNOTE
01-26-2007, 10:52 AM
We're still waiting for payback on Carrot Top, Paris Hilton and Tommy Lee. You guys are winning the retard race so far, but then again it IS sheer numbers :)

And yet our PS3s are cheaper! :D

Goronmon
01-26-2007, 10:57 AM
This reminds me of the Simpson's episode... where they are stuck in a big ditch and the police chief yells "Dig UP stupid!"
People were able to afford one without working harder for it so Sony adjusted the price to meet the standards set by their executives. A meal at a top class restaurant just isn't the same if they let all the riff raff in.Between these two posts, I was laughing for a good 5 minutes. :D

Rafer
01-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Funny thing is, last month in Canada the PS3 outsold the Wii (either Nintendo undersupplied or Sony oversupplied Canada in December). Link. (http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/01/17/tech-games.html)

The Wii outsold the PS3 in November, but the PS3 outsold its rival in December as Sony managed to get more units to market.

Another thing, the 360 is selling for $30 more than it should (with the fluctuations in the Canadian dollar I remember it selling for up to $50 more last year). I can understand Sony making the mistake as they charged what the exchange rate was when they announced the price last year, and many were predicting the U.S. dollar to decline even more.

fitbabits
01-26-2007, 11:01 AM
I've decided not to comment on these threads as I can't think of anything to add which hasn't already been said a thousand times. So this is my official "no comment".

Doctor Setebos
01-26-2007, 11:02 AM
I've decided not to comment on these threads as I can't think of anything to add which hasn't already been said a thousand times. So this is my official "no comment".So you commented just to say "no comment"?

Way to go, SoccerShoes! :D

torrefaction
01-26-2007, 11:04 AM
So you commented just to say "no comment"?

SoccerShoes...I like that.

fitbabits
01-26-2007, 11:05 AM

Aye, that I did. Kinda cool, don't you think?

Swat
01-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Yeah it's odd to hear all these numbers about how well the PS3 sold in certain months or what not, when the word on the street - not the actual numbers, paint an entirely different story. I'm not being sensationalistic at with my first hand experiences with mass returns, sales pimping, and practically begging people to buy these systems.

Sony should really have launched without the BR player and saved a few hundred bucks. Apart from hardcore AV enthusiasts, BR is still a tough sell, as is HD-DVD. Xbox got it right allowing those who cared to buy a $199 drive afterwards if they cared about HD. I know I did - but I know most of my friends don't give a shit about HD the way I do.

The only possible benefit I can see about the PS3 at this point is those people who have it as their sole system. For those of us who already have hundreds and thousands of dollars invested in other systems already, the PS3 is simply too much money for what it offers.

roboninja
01-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Oh please, she is more hated up here than in the US; you guys made her popular and gave her that Vegas show, you are responsible for her now :D
As for the article....Sony was secretly bought by MS, right, and they are intentionally trying to ruin the company....right??

Ted Huge
01-26-2007, 11:09 AM

I'm just happy we don't have to make up for Bryan Adams.

<Can't resist> Though this news from Sony "Cuts like a Knife"

zombiekiller13
01-26-2007, 11:22 AM
well, it's settled. Sony really has lost its collective mind.

"Let's make a handheld, but include only one analog stick!

Oh, and let's be the only company to not settle with the makers of the vibration feature we use! Just remove it completely!

Hang on! Nintendo's got a motion controller! Let's make our own, but use the same exact design as the PS1 and 2's controller!

Hey, I know! Let's spray paint buildings, post pro-slavery ads, hire a company to make a fake blog...and what the heck, blow up a few laptop batteries! Genius!

Wait...wait! I got an even better idea that'll get the public behind us...raise the price of the PS3 after they go on sale! Brilliant!"

torrefaction
01-26-2007, 11:24 AM
You forgot "Let's put rootkits on users computers if they want to play our music"

T-Rex Commando
01-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Funniest shit i've seen in a long, long time. As a Canuck, I now have one more good reason to avoid the PS3 like the plague.

IrishWhiskey
01-26-2007, 11:31 AM
You know, I've been try to figure why people who can successfully tie their shoes in the morning would do something like this. Three thoughts:

1. This is only a rumor that they hope will encourage people to buy PS3s before the price goes up, which they will then decide not to do, creating a brief buying surge and free publicity.

2. They know full well that the only people buying PS3s know are hardcore Sony fans and high-end gamers who are wiling to pay the ridiculous early eBay prices, and so will make some more profit off them until they get the games to appeal to a broader audience that cares more about price. (More likely)

3. This is yet another example of Sony Japan overruled Sony NA and Europe as they have done many times before in the PS3 launch leading to things like an underdeveloped online service and lack of hardware scaler. Sony Japan is worried about losing profit in preparation for upcoming financial statements, whereas Sony NA are worrying about building the console base. (Most likely)

Kamalot
01-26-2007, 11:33 AM
You know, I've been try to figure why people who can successfully tie their shoes in the morning would do something like this.
4. They wear penny loafers or have velcro straps instead of shoelaces.

imagecreature
01-26-2007, 11:34 AM

Loverboy???

torrefaction
01-26-2007, 11:34 AM
You know, I've been try to figure why people who can successfully tie their shoes in the morning would do something like this. Three thoughts:

1. This is only a rumor that they hope will encourage people to buy PS3s before he price goes up, which they will the decide not to do, creating a brief buying surge and free publicity.

2. They know full well that the only people buying PS3s know are hardcore Sony fans and high-end gamers who are wiling to pay the ridiculous early eBay prices, and so will make some more profit off them until they get the games to appeal to a broader audience that cares more about price. (More likely)

3. This is yet another example of Sony Japan overruled Sony NA and Europe as they have done many times before in the PS3 launch leading to things like an underdeveloped online service and lack of hardware scaler. Sony Japan is worried about losing profit in preparation for upcoming financial statements, whereas Sony NA are worrying about building the console base. (Most likely)

4.)They can't actually tie their shoes in the morning (EXTREMELY likely) ;)

Kamalot
01-26-2007, 11:38 AM
4.)They can't actually tie their shoes in the morning (EXTREMELY likely) ;)
Great minds think alike (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=624927&postcount=49)!

BlackPete
01-26-2007, 12:05 PM

No, no, no. You're supposed to say that with a Scots accent.

Sicashis! (Almost added a 't' in there... lol)

Swat
01-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Loverboy???

Hey, everybody's working for the weekend! Come on now!

torrefaction
01-26-2007, 12:08 PM
No, no, no. You're supposed to say that with a Scots accent.

Sicashis! (Almost added a 't' in there... lol)

Hahahahah

Sicashits! Fit's nicknames get better and better.

BlackPete
01-26-2007, 12:08 PM
To be fair, the CAN/US exchange rate was pretty small for a while there, but now the CAN dollar is slightly dropping against the US dollar.

It used to be 91c CAN against the US dollar. These days it's more like 85. I guess Sony is just trying to keep the price differences up to date... but this definitely does seem way too soon to try to keep up with the differences.

Serapth
01-26-2007, 12:11 PM
If this proves to be true, the chances of me buying a PS3 just went to 0. I dont care how low the price drops, if a company is willing to do something so fucking epically stupid, there is no way I am going to support them!

Johan
01-26-2007, 12:13 PM
but now the CAN dollar is slightly dropping against the US dollar.

What the hell are you Canucks doing wrong up there? The entire freaking world is seeing the dollar fall against their currencies; in a decade, you might find it cheaper to burn dollar bills than natural gas to heat your home!

How is it you're the only country whose currency sucks worse than ours? (okay...maybe Mexico's is worse as well...)

Wow...

HardScores
01-26-2007, 12:18 PM

1. This is only a rumor that they hope will encourage people to buy PS3s before the price goes up, which they will then decide not to do, creating a brief buying surge and free publicity.

If by rumor you mean that the stores online have already changed the price and trying to sell them at that price, then yes.

BlackPete
01-26-2007, 12:21 PM
What the hell are you Canucks doing wrong up there? The entire freaking world is seeing the dollar fall against their currencies; in a decade, you might find it cheaper to burn dollar bills than natural gas to heat your home!

Long story short, we voted the Conservatives in office :D

Serapth
01-26-2007, 12:21 PM

How is it you're the only country whose currency sucks worse than ours? (okay...maybe Mexico's is worse as well...)

Wow...

Not really strong on how internation currency exhanges work, are you? Also, the high Canadian dollar ( which is up about 25% thanks to Bush Jr ), actually hurts us if it gets too high.

BlackPete
01-26-2007, 12:23 PM

*cough*

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10075271&catid=

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10075271&catid=24376&logon=&langid=EN

Yup, a rumour indeed :rolleyes:

Johan
01-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Not really strong on how internation currency exhanges work, are you? Also, the high Canadian dollar ( which is up about 25% thanks to Bush Jr ), actually hurts us if it gets too high.

1. I know enough about international currency exchanges to know that a currency rises against other currencies if the former nation has a trade surplus, or other nations are keeping the former nations currency in reserve, thereby raising the value of said currency and essentially providing a boost to the buying power of said country.

2. I also know enough to know that "Bush Jr." blaming is just a weak fucking reason for a Canadian to come up with for your shitty currency value and buying power! :D

Enjoy your more expensive products!!!! :cool:

Serapth
01-26-2007, 12:29 PM
*cough*

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10075271&catid=

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10075271&catid=24376&logon=&langid=EN

The other thing to notic is that there are 35 PS3's available at Futureshop. BestBuy on the other hand in Canada appears to be having serious supply issues and not just the PS3. I was in one last weekend trying to buy R6:Vegas, and they were picked clean of everything. No Xbox Premiums, No Wii anything ( and I mean anything... maybe 4 games to choose from and zero accesories ), the place was barren as hell. Obviously... no R6:Vegas either :( Had to go elsewhere for it. After my experiences with BestBuy online ordering ( which was a disaster ), I think something seriously flawed is going on at BB in Canada. There is no way the shelves shouldnt be restocked 25 days after Christmas

Serapth
01-26-2007, 12:31 PM

A higher standard of living and no blue cross payments, make it easier to pay for those more expensive products!!!! :cool:

As to CDN $ value, the bank of Canada is taking efforts to keep in from rising, as it hurts our industry more then it helps.

Kweli
01-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Not having Bush as my leader: Priceless

bitwise
Is Sony trying to fail in Canada or something?

Then again, they might have determined that the new price was the "sweet spot" that would maintain maximum PS3 profit, but for the life of me I can't see why. If they weren't selling before, I can't imagine what a price increase would do to help.

Also, as others have pointed out, 699 - 659 = 40, not 50. It's easy to see if you add 1 buck to each price to get the real prices. 700 - 660 = 40.

torrefaction
A higher standard of living and no blue cross payments, make it easier to pay for those more expensive products!!!! :cool:

As to CDN $ value, the bank of Canada is taking efforts to keep in from rising, as it hurts our industry more then it helps.

Yeah, and the easy and very quick access to medical care! Am I right?

(HAHA!)

Johan
01-26-2007, 12:35 PM

Good! If this is true, then you can quitcherbitchin' about the price!

If this proves to be true, the chances of me buying a PS3 just went to 0.

$40 is nothing!!! You have a higher standard of living! :D

Hahahahaha! Yup; the one you've got now rocks! :rolleyes:

wyeast
01-26-2007, 12:35 PM
*cough*

Well sure, to Sony it was a rumour. But for retailers I'm sure they were all "Shit yeah! Everybody raise prices! Woo profit!"

Serapth
01-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Good! If this is true, then you can quitcherbitchin' about the price!

Actually, all kidding aside, this issue has nothing to do with price. I will not buy a PS3 because of the fact they would do something so monumentally stupid and arrogant. The 40$ means fuckall to me, it could be 100$ or it could be 20$. The simple fact they are dumb enough to raise the price in my market, when the damned things arent selling out already, blows my mind. I refuse to reward that level of stupidity.

( I stand by these convicitions btw. I have protested Menthos for about 8 years now, because their commericals pissed me off so much that I swore, I WILL NEVER BUY MENTHOS AGAIN! ... and I havent )

BlackPete
01-26-2007, 12:43 PM

Then again, this guy isn't much better:

EDIT: Removed image due to hotlinking. Do an images google and there are plenty of better images than what I've posted anyway :P

Serapth
01-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Then again, this guy isn't much better:

http://www.maxpower.ca/wp-content/uploads/2006/01/harper_cowboy.jpg

BAD PETE!

Hot linking is not cool!

BlackPete
01-26-2007, 12:47 PM
The other thing to notic is that there are 35 PS3's available at Futureshop. BestBuy on the other hand in Canada appears to be having serious supply issues and not just the PS3. I was in one last weekend trying to buy R6:Vegas, and they were picked clean of everything. No Xbox Premiums, No Wii anything ( and I mean anything... maybe 4 games to choose from and zero accesories ), the place was barren as hell. Obviously... no R6:Vegas either :( Had to go elsewhere for it. After my experiences with BestBuy online ordering ( which was a disaster ), I think something seriously flawed is going on at BB in Canada. There is no way the shelves shouldnt be restocked 25 days after Christmas

I've found Best Buy varies a lot on a store to store basis. The one in Richmond, BC always seems to be sold out of everything, but the one in Coquitlam, BC usually has plenty of games in stock (but no Wiimotes... boo...)

I did see R6 Vegas at the Coquitlam Location, but at $69.99.... no thanks.

Pious Augustus
01-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Whats next, price INcrease for the USA as well? I'm sure that would boost sales incredibly!
Not exactly... (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21124929-2702,00.html)

Swat
01-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Is Sony trying to fail in Canada or something?

Then again, they might have determined that the new price was the "sweet spot" that would maintain maximum PS3 profit, but for the life of me I can't see why. If they weren't selling before, I can't imagine what a price increase would do to help.

Also, as others have pointed out, 699 - 659 = 40, not 50. It's easy to see if you add 1 buck to each price to get the real prices. 700 - 660 = 40.

See my earlier post about how sales tax can affect this number and raise it up a bit, but I mean, that's getting too picky at this point right? ;)

BakedGoods
01-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Whats with all the Canadian hate?

Sure we pay a bit more for things, but considering the average amount of money someone my age makes it's really not a big deal. The quality of life here completely makes up for the extra money I'd pay anyway.

DaXIthR
01-26-2007, 01:44 PM
For the record, is this good news or bad news for Sony?

Johan
01-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Actually, all kidding aside, this issue has nothing to do with price. I will not buy a PS3 because of the fact they would do something so monumentally stupid and arrogant. The 40$ means fuckall to me, it could be 100$ or it could be 20$. The simple fact they are dumb enough to raise the price in my market, when the damned things arent selling out already, blows my mind. I refuse to reward that level of stupidity.

On this we definitely agree!

And Bush does suck donkey bits that have been dried by the heat of a thousand suns and then replaced with little rabbit turds...uncooked rabbit turds. So perhaps we agree on that too! ;)

For the record, is this good news or bad news for Sony?

Yes.

Sony rep.: The price increase reflects the tremendous demand and value the Canadian consumer places upon the PS3 as a unique and unprecedented device of unmatched power and possibilities.

Canadian consumer: Fuckers jacked up the price, eh? Yah...that sucks.

Kadoo
01-26-2007, 01:49 PM
anyone else want to DDOS maxpower.ca brutal