PDA

View Full Version : XBox 360 Really Backwards Compatible?

bapenguin
05-19-2005, 05:49 AM
GamesIndustry.biz (http://gamesindustry.biz/news.php?aid=8996) is stating that the backwards compatibility in Microsoft's XBox 360 may not be the typical backwards compatibility.As many commentators have pointed out over the last few months, this means backwards compatibility problems. The solution Microsoft has reached is apparently to recompiled current-gen Xbox games so that they can be played on the 360. First on the list, it says, are the best-selling Halo titles.

If they make customers buy the titles again, that's just lame. That's NOT backwards compatibility.

Varsity
05-19-2005, 05:57 AM
It could come as downloads via Live that you then need the disc to play. However it's done though, only 'the most popular titles' being backward compatible does smell like some sort of workaround.

bapenguin
05-19-2005, 05:59 AM
It could come as downloads via Live that you then need the disc to play. However it's done though, only 'the most popular titles' being backward compatible does smell like some sort of workaround.

Good point.

Vandenh
05-19-2005, 06:37 AM
Maybe they will have all those recompiled titles on a free DVD?

Anyway.. recompile? Interesting... I wonder if any games will have "extra" 360 hardware support (HD, better framerates, anti-aliasing,...). I am now also wondering if MS might ship dual format games... XBox1 titles that also have the 360 logo (with extra features??). Now that could be a killer move. XNA in action :)

Ernst_Jager
05-19-2005, 06:44 AM
Honestly I could care less. I'm not buying a 360 to play Halo or Halo 2. I am buying it to play Halo 3, Gears of War, Full Auto...etc....

Royal Fool
05-19-2005, 06:51 AM
It's gonna be fucking lame that I can't play StarCraft: Ghost on Xbox Live on my Xbox 360 because Microsoft were too lazy to implement proper backwards compatability.

..screw them. Until they show us a real solution, I'm not buying one until it drops heavily in price. I have a full shelf of Xbox games here, and I'm not going to be jumping between consoles all the time.

Knite
05-19-2005, 06:58 AM
Honestly I could care less. I'm not buying a 360 to play Halo or Halo 2. I am buying it to play Halo 3, Gears of War, Full Auto...etc....

YOU might care less. I would like to see it personally. My first XBox blew a DVD drive in 3 years. I'm on my first year of my second so far. Besides, if they made Xbox1 games cross compatible, maybe I could give a buddy an Xbox, and he and I could play NFL 2k5 on live with him using Xbox, me using a new 360. I'd now have another person to play with on Live, as well as save entertainment center space.

that'd be sweet.

Hellstorm
05-19-2005, 07:00 AM
I'll take 20 years of Nintendo games thank you.

Lodin
05-19-2005, 07:03 AM
Wohoo! This means that the GBA is actually backwards compatible with both the NES, SNES and even the Megadrive!

Furious Wang
05-19-2005, 07:54 AM
It's gonna be fucking lame that I can't play StarCraft: Ghost on Xbox Live on my Xbox 360 because Microsoft were too lazy to implement proper backwards compatability.

..screw them. Until they show us a real solution, I'm not buying one until it drops heavily in price. I have a full shelf of Xbox games here, and I'm not going to be jumping between consoles all the time.

You think you're gonna actually be able to play StarCraft: Ghost at all?

That's funny.

crackeriah
05-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Sweet! I actually predicted this (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2194) before the pundits did! Maybe I should quit my day job and become a full-time videogame wonk.

DCJoeDog
05-19-2005, 08:42 AM
Another reason for me to skip xbox this time around.

Reanimated
05-19-2005, 09:12 AM
BULLSHIT. This is not what Ballmer said in an interview yesterday. He and Bach confirmed that they are working on emulation.

I love how they don't quote anyone in this "news" story.

This amounts to another media misunderstanding of actual technical facts.

Borgboy
05-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Indeed. Based on that interview this is completely incorrect.

VirgoBlu
05-19-2005, 10:06 AM
BULLSHIT. This is not what Ballmer said in an interview yesterday. He and Bach confirmed that they are working on emulation.

Amen.
Wohoo! This means that the GBA is actually backwards compatible with both the NES, SNES and even the Megadrive!
I hope people get what you're saying.

Furious Wang
05-19-2005, 10:10 AM
I don't think its a media misunderstanding at all. I think there's a deliberate disinformation campaign being perpetuated by Sony and its close media publishers.

SaintArnold
05-19-2005, 10:33 AM

I dunno, emulating a 733MHz P3 on a 3.2GHz PPC efficiently seems pretty dubious. Plus they have a completely different graphics chip, so something will have to be translating the graphics calls as well.

Recompilation makes a lot more sense, in terms of feasibility. It would also explain whey they are only supporting "popular titles". A high-quality emulator would support all titles (though with varying performance, I imagine).

And I doubt that Ballmer knows the difference between emulation and recompilation. <insert dancing monkey ballmer link here>

amusedtoe
05-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Rather simple solution. How do PCs have one set of code that runs on just about every piece of hardware? It's DirectX, which is a Mircosoft technology, or some implementation of Glide. It shouldn't be too hard, especially since we're only dealing with two sets of hardware here, to set up something along the lines of DirectX that's integrated into whatever's running all those "X" button features or whatever. Backwards compatibility should have been obvious to all, look at all the huge titles that are due out right when, or after, Microsoft's discontinuing the original plus the enormous amount of subscribers Halo 2 brought to Live.

51|RandoM
05-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Eh, this will be a hoot if it is true.

jeffool
05-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Sweet! I actually predicted this (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2194) before the pundits did! Maybe I should quit my day job and become a full-time videogame wonk.

And I beat you by 19 minutes! Ha! (http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=149753&threshold=0&commentsort=0&tid=235&tid=211&tid=209&mode=thread&cid=12555258)

netcraazzy
05-19-2005, 12:18 PM

Hmmm that has me thinking. Does anybody know if MS is going to let current Live subscribers use Live on the 360 with their current accounts? I'm hoping I'm wrong but what if MS decides to separate the original Xbox Live and the Live for the 360 into two separate services and then makes you pay for each one separately?

MosBen
05-19-2005, 01:48 PM
The way I read the article with Steve Balmer and Robbie Bach, it seems to me that what they're doing is essentially what Bleem! did. They've got some kind of general emulation going on, but as they say not every game works perfectly with general emulation, so they take specific games one at a time and go through them and make sure they work properly. Then they release the list of games that are certified as backwards compatible; that everyone knows they can play with little to no trouble one the 360. Now, because many games do certain things with the hardware in similar ways, making one game, say Halo 2, work makes several other games work well, maybe even perfectly, but they don't certify those games individually.

You guys should be behind what they're saying. They're taking it easy so they don't make any statements that they can't actually back up, like "All Xbox games will work perfectly on the 360!" The PS2, evidently (don't ask me for specifics, this is only something I've heard second hand), doesn't play all PS1 games perfectly, but you never hear that our of Sony, and they're certainly not being cautious about saying the PS3 will be completely backwards compatible.

bapenguin
05-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Hmmm that has me thinking. Does anybody know if MS is going to let current Live subscribers use Live on the 360 with their current accounts? I'm hoping I'm wrong but what if MS decides to separate the original Xbox Live and the Live for the 360 into two separate services and then makes you pay for each one separately?

Yes, current subscribers get moved to "Gold" accounts on the new "live" which incidently integrates witht he old live.

jadkins555
05-19-2005, 04:40 PM
They updated their article with a quote from Microsoft. Basically it contradicts what they earlier reported. Gamesindustry.biz seems to be incredibly Sony biased.

"At launch, Xbox 360 will be backward compatible with the top Xbox games," Xbox PR manager Michael Wolf told GamesIndustry.biz today. "Our goal is to have every Xbox game work on Xbox 360. You will NOT need to purchase a new 'version' - your original games will work on Xbox 360."

Royal Fool
05-19-2005, 05:06 PM
You think you're gonna actually be able to play StarCraft: Ghost at all?

That's funny.

Hmm? If you're taking a shot at the delays, might I remind you that the game is now being shown in a huge display booth at E3 and will be released in 2006?

Hg-203
05-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Form what it sounds like MS is planning just to recompile the source and anything else that is dependent on it and needs to be re-compiled. Remember the majority of the install data is the graphics and maps data. Look at an install of HL2 or Doom 3 the majority of that is textures, models, etc

From what it looks like in MS’s live plan, anyone can go on to live, just not play games on live. So people can download the revised compiled source and that shouldn’t take up what more then 100 MB at the inconceivable high end, that would be a lot of lines of code for any exe.

But then agian, this whole thread is now mute now that we know MS plans on emulation and not recompiled game engines, except if you look at it from a tech prespective.