PDA

View Full Version : Soul Calibur III Hands-On

dr_qwandry
05-13-2005, 02:46 AM
Gamespot is featuring a hands on preview of the PS2 only Soul Calibur III

Link (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/soulcaliburiii/preview_6124234.html?q=1&tag=gs_hp_flashtop_bg)

Besides the tale of souls mode, your single-player options will include "chronicle of the sword," world competition, soul arena, museum, and character creation. Character creation is the mode we're most excited for, because it lets you create an original fighter you can then take to the chronicle of the sword mode to see how he or she fares. While Namco representatives still weren't giving up much information on exactly how the mode will play out, it sounds as though you might be taking more of a "coaching" role in that you let your virtual self do its thing in battle. The other mode reps were coy about is the museum mode, as it sounds like it's going to come packed with content, such as artwork and other renders that should please fans of the series.

hmmmm...custom fighter for soul calibur

Sion
05-13-2005, 03:53 AM
Sounds good. SC is one of the few popular modern fighters I enjoy. Ivy>all of the DoA girls.

Vandenh
05-13-2005, 04:15 AM
I bought this game 7 years ago.

Morratut
05-13-2005, 04:41 AM
LOL i can't believe they are putting this just on the Shitstation only. I have no idea why they wouldn't want to put this on Xbox or GameCube also.

Steve_Erhardt
05-13-2005, 04:43 AM
PS2 only? WTF? What retard made THAT decision?

I think SC is one of the best fighters out there (Second only to MK in my mind), and I suppose if I already owned a PS2 it wouldn't bug me that much, but I don't. =(

Morratut
05-13-2005, 04:55 AM
I won't be that pissed if it only ends up a rehash of the original Soul Calibur on Dreamcast. Soul Calibur 2 for me is great but didn't add anything from the DC version.
I already own that on the Xbox and enjoy it lots. I actually prefer Soul Calibur to DOA personally.

If however it adds something new and great then i will be :mad:

Switcher
05-13-2005, 05:33 AM
The main philosophy from the director of SC2, who is handling SC3...is that, and I quote, "While SC2 was very successfull, porting it was very tiring, so we decided to focus on one platform"

So yeah, they're...lazy, not insane.

7ofswords
05-13-2005, 05:54 AM
I wonder what they mean by

"it sounds as though you might be taking more of a "coaching" role in that you let your virtual self do its thing in battle."

Are they saying that while I can make my own character, I can't play them?

Racknahm
05-13-2005, 07:36 AM
The main philosophy from the director of SC2, who is handling SC3...is that, and I quote, "While SC2 was very successfull, porting it was very tiring, so we decided to focus on one platform"

So yeah, they're...lazy, not insane.

It also doesn't hurt that Sony is paying them quite handsomely for it to be a ps2 exclusive.

Sion
05-13-2005, 09:12 AM
Id rather have it on PS2 becuase the XB controller sucks for fighters. As long as they have the physics in the right places the grfx will be fine.

Zurik
05-13-2005, 02:50 PM
I won't be that pissed if it only ends up a rehash of the original Soul Calibur on Dreamcast. Soul Calibur 2 for me is great but didn't add anything from the DC version.
I already own that on the Xbox and enjoy it lots. I actually prefer Soul Calibur to DOA personally.

If however it adds something new and great then i will be :mad:

How can you say that Soul Calibur 2 didn't add anything? Better graphics? A few new characters? A large variety of weapons? New stages? It pretty much had everything you'd expect in a fighting game sequel.

bobbler
05-13-2005, 02:53 PM
LOL i can't believe they are putting this just on the Shitstation only. I have no idea why they wouldn't want to put this on Xbox or GameCube also.

I would bet it has something to do with the fact that PS2 has 2x the combined audience of both xbox and gc combined.

If they were lazy and only wanted it to be on one console, there really was only one choice.

Nightstorm
05-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Forgive if I'm wrong, but I believe the Gamecube version sold the best on the account of Link. If they were really lazy and only wanted to do one version, the choice is obvious, GC with Link thrown in.

Kelegacy
05-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Id rather have it on PS2 becuase the XB controller sucks for fighters. As long as they have the physics in the right places the grfx will be fine.

I agree about the controller being inferior for fighting games. Some genres the XB just doesnt do well. Ditching the white/black buttons may be a smart move for the XB360...shoulder buttons work much better.

Shitstation...haha fanboys have a separate circle of hell just for themselves, where they play the system that they fear/hate the most. Dante himself confirmed it.

Captain Alaska
05-13-2005, 06:02 PM
Raphael (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/soulcaliburiii/screens_6124234.html?page=10)
fighting with a cigarello in one hand, sword in the other. Awesome.

:D :D

mister_slim
05-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Soul Calibur works so well on the GC controller, too. Bastards.