PDA

View Full Version : Portal 2 Heading to PlayStation 3?

Evil Avatar
04-09-2010, 07:30 AM
http://evilavatar.com/images/thumbs/companion_cube.jpg

Computer & Video Games has posted the cover (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=241933&site=psm) of the new issue of PSM3 and they have an article on the cover titled, 36 Must Play PS3 Games, and on that list is Valve's Portal 2. Has Valve finally given up their PS3 hate?

It is a shame when a developer refuses to embrace a platform due to lack of programming skills.

Ozena
04-09-2010, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't mind Portal 2 on PS3. I don't own one, so it wouldn't bother me anyway, but it'd be good for more people to be able to experience it. Given it will be as awesome as Portal was, of course.

lockwoodx
04-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Valve games have a wonderful track record on consoles.

92miata
04-09-2010, 07:47 AM
It is a shame when a developer refuses to embrace a platform due to lack of programming skills.

agreed x10. i don't understand valve. do they have like 5 programmers? can't believe how successful they are.

Johan
04-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Valve games have a wonderful track record on consoles.

I'm with you! I make sure to only purchase Valve games on consoles, where they are optimized for success and where Valve is allowed to support them through free continuing DLC and the like.

And if anyone can't figure out our shared sense of sarcasm, the spoilers are here to help you!

Evil Avatar
04-09-2010, 08:04 AM
agreed x10. i don't understand valve. do they have like 5 programmers? can't believe how successful they are.

100% of Valve's success seems to stem from waiting around until someone invents a mod they can 'bring in house' and by 'bring in house' I mean steal.

Where are the guys who invented Team Fortress and Counter-Strike now? Are they millionaires?

Phokal
04-09-2010, 08:05 AM
This is Valve. I'm sure if they wanted to hire whoever and how many they needed to get a project on the PS3, they would. They just ported the Source engine to Mac.

They probably just don't think the resources required would justify the projected gain from the project. With the PS3's more recent gain in popularity in the past year, maybe they'll change their mind.

Porting a project primarily designed for the PC to the PS3 is not easy. That's why every PS3 cross-platform game was crap until CoD4 made it their primary project. But Valve, like Blizzard, develops for the PC primarily. The 360 is an "easier" console port.

Phokal
04-09-2010, 08:06 AM
100% of Valve's success seems to stem from waiting around until someone invents a mod they can 'bring in house' and by 'bring in house' I mean steal.

Where are the guys who invented Team Fortress and Counter-Strike now? Are they millionaires?

Valve hired the TF1(quake 1 mod) guys, and I think the Counter-Strike guys. Same with the nabtacular(sp) drop (portal) guys.

Evil Avatar
04-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Valve hired the TF1(quake 1 mod) guys, and I think the Counter-Strike guys. Same with the nabtacular(sp) drop (portal) guys.

Exactly what I said. They brought those projects in house, made themselves millionaires 10x over on the hard work of those creators and what did those guys get? A steady paycheck for a while? I know the CS guy doesn't work there any more.

It has always felt to me like their idea of 'supporting the community' is a thinly veiled disguise for 'stealing from the community'. "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain and if you want the Heart you already have you will have to do all the work for me first."

shadow763
04-09-2010, 08:11 AM

You do realize that posting this on any other site ignites fanboyism the likes the world has rarely seen?

Phokal
04-09-2010, 08:13 AM

Some google searching for articles:
Hired portal guys:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narbacular_drop
Hired Counter-strike guys:
http://www.giantbomb.com/valve-corporation/65-1374/

LOL. and you learn something new. the co-creator of the original TF is "the" Robin Walker at valve. so..they didn't just hire the guy, they promoted the hell out of him :)
http://www.giantbomb.com/team-fortress-2/61-18162/credits/

Evil Avatar
04-09-2010, 08:14 AM
You do realize that posting this on any other site ignites fanboyism the likes the world has rarely seen?

Heh. It is great that they have fans. The projects they have mined from the community are amazing. Their own in-house games -- not so much. Half-Life 2 was good, but it wasn't amazing. By the time it came out the engine was already dated compared to games I had played on console systems and they seem to have dropped the ball on finishing up the story despite having an almost captive audience.

How long ago was Episode 2? 5 years???

Vandenh
04-09-2010, 08:22 AM
It is a shame when a company makes hardware that is crap to develop for. We sofware people have better things to do, this is not 1980 anymore.

Phokal
04-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Exactly what I said. They brought those projects in house, made themselves millionaires 10x over on the hard work of those creators and what did those guys get? A steady paycheck for a while? I know the CS guy doesn't work there any more.

It has always felt to me like their idea of 'supporting the community' is a thinly veiled disguise for 'stealing from the community'. "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain and if you want the Heart you already have you will have to do all the work for me first."

Huh. I wasn't sure if the CS guy moved on. I know that the CS "team" that did the AI (for the Counter-Strike xbox-thing) went on to do L4D.

I guess it could be valve buying out these guys. But look at DotA: they got a deal to make their own game, but probably had to work pretty hard to get that and it wasn't offered by Blizzard. Other companies are now taking the basic game design (Demigod, Monday Night Combat), and aren't offering any type of compensation or chance for future work. The Natural Selection 2 guys are indie (go donate!) and making it by, but a lot of other mods are nothing more than a footnote on a resume to try and get hired at a place like valve.

I guess, if I made a game and released it for free I wouldn't expect anything in return and that my idea, if good, would be outright stolen by Activision; and that then they'd sue me.

As a side note: Monday Night Combat looks amazing.

gzsfrk
04-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Why is this news? The original Portal was released on PS3, even though it was created by a different developer. Is the startling revelation the idea that Valve may be actually doing the PS3 development in-house this time? Still not at all surprising if true. There's 3 more years of development tools and expertise available to them that was not when the original Orange Box was developed and released.

Heh. It is great that they have fans. The projects they have mined from the community are amazing. Their own in-house games -- not so much.

Valve are a great developer for a large number of reasons, not the least of which is because they have such a healthy relationship with the community. They release the tools to develop fan-made mods for their games, incorporate community suggestions into patches and expansions, and--yes--hire some of the most talented modders onto their team. Why in the world you would try to spin that as a bad thing is beyond me. Is your inner PS3 fanboy still filled with rage at Newell's derogatory comments regarding the PS3 as a developer platform?

Half-Life 2 was good, but it wasn't amazing. By the time it came out the engine was already dated compared to games I had played on console systems

Are you on crack? When HL2 first came out on PC in 2004, it was widely lauded as being one of the (if not THE) most beautiful games ever released, graphics wise. Sounds like you're talking about the console ports, the first of which was released on the original Xbox in 2005, and was a heavily down-sampled version of the game (had to be in order to run on the Xbox1's hardware). Then the Orange Box was released in 2007 (3 years AFTER the game first saw the light of day on the PC), with a few minor visual enhancements to the Source engine. So of COURSE Half Life 2 wasn't going to look as impressive as, say, Crysis, which came out the same year (2007). 3 years is an eternity in terms of 3D engine technology.

TeeCakes
04-09-2010, 08:37 AM
How long ago was Episode 2? 5 years???

I still haven't played any of the Half-Life games, and I won't until they release Ep. 3 most likely. I see how much its driving the Valve-fanboys crazy waiting for their beloved sequel to come out and finish whatever cliffhanger they've been hanging on for half a decade, I figure I'll just buy the inevitable Half-Life Bundle they'll release a month before Episode 3 hits retail and save myself some sanity.

I did play the hell out of Portal, though, so I'm aware of a few bits of the storyline. I don't understand why Valve is taking so long to cash in on their most popular franchise-- the longer they wait the more people's interest dies down.

It is a shame when a company makes hardware that is crap to develop for. We sofware people have better things to do, this is not 1980 anymore.

If software people have better things to do than make money, I'm sure their bosses will be sending them a curious pink letter in their inbox any day now :rolleyes:

gzsfrk
04-09-2010, 08:42 AM
I don't understand why Valve is taking so long to cash in on their most popular franchise-- the longer they wait the more people's interest dies down.

Totally this.

Personally, I suspect it's a chronic case of DNF syndrome. The problem with waiting for perfection is the truth that relevance is fleeting. The trick is to "cash in" inside that slender cross section where "attainable quality" meets "peak interest".

Johan
04-09-2010, 08:44 AM
The original Half-Life was groundbreaking, but I wouldn't call any of the subsequent iterations anywhere near as seminal at all. Valve has also turned 'episodic' into a joke with the years between episodes.

That being said, to expect Valve to offer on consoles what it offers on PC is such a load of idiotic rubbish that I have no idea why anyone would even consider it. When you play on a console you play according to the hardware manufacturer's rules, not the software developer's rules. If you want 'all in' on Valve's 'special sauce,' you need to eat at their restaurant (the PC), where they have a menu that offers not only all that they have on hand, but much of what their community cooks up as well.

Or, go back to mom's kitchen and eat what she approves. It's delicious. Not.

morose
04-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Is it really lack of programming skills? Is there anything more than conjecture involved there? Maybe it's "why bother spending extra resources to port to a difficult platform when you're already making good money"? Seems like it could be a bad move as a business strategy to me. I could come up with 3-4 more plausible reasons for slow PS3 development off the top of my head too. Guess I don't know for sure though, nor does anyone else who isn't involved with Valve's business department.

I don't really give two shits about Valve, they're a company... they don't need fans, just customers. Just disappointed to see what I felt was a poorly thought out jab at the company from Evil, I guess. I'll survive though. ;)

Evil Avatar
04-09-2010, 09:02 AM
I don't really give two shits about Valve, they're a company... they don't need fans, just customers. Just disappointed to see what I felt was a poorly thought out jab at the company from Evil, I guess. I'll survive though. ;)

You forget that Valve themselves have made several jabs at the PS3 as a platform. I was only poking back now that the PS3 has become 'the' gaming platform.

DeluxE
04-09-2010, 09:10 AM

I totally agree. It's a very strange company, almost as if they have hit rock bottom for inspiration and need injections of new blood regularly to produce anything at all.

Kind of... a VAMPIRE STUDIO! :eek:

SwitchBlade_Jax
04-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Episode 2 was only 2 1/2 years ago. The real problem is they have been producing episode 3 for over 5 years. Honestly I don't see how Valve could ever release episode 3, they are going to annouce Half Life 3 at E3 this year. HL1 to HL2 was only 5 years, no way they release only a 10 hour episode after a 6 year cycle(Newell has already indicated he didn't see episode 3 releasing this year). Episode 3 has certainly become HL3, will annouce at E3 and be released in 2011. You can already see them using Portal 2 to bridge the gap.

The impression I get from Newell is he just doesn't like the PS3 and feels no motivation to make a game on it. He doesn't need the money or fans. Why bother?

Also HL2 might of been high on the tech specs but it still didn't look great artisticly. Character facial animations were pretty damn good but everything else while nice, was pretty damn ho-hum.

Ranhert
04-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Aperture Science, we do what we must, because, we can. I guess that includes programming for the PS3.

Ranhert
04-09-2010, 09:25 AM

Well there's no sense crying over every mistake. We just keep on trying till we run out of cake.

mrbrick
04-09-2010, 09:40 AM

This sounds like a fantastic idea for an article. Someone should get on that. Hunt down some old mod makers and see whats what.

Valve does seem to draw a lot from its mod community- but which is better? just making a mod or getting hired having a rewarding career / getting paid for awhile to do something you love?

That Minerva guy got hired by valve. Pretty sure he has been working on Portal 2. Didnt the CS guy(s?) stay for quite awhile before moving on and starting their own company? That seems to be their own choice- and not Valves.

Either way this sounds like a cool editorial / article. Do it!

:D

and as for the PS3 I think valve really has no excuse for not supporting it. I understand that the PC is their primary choice for developing and 360 just sort of comes with that like a step child, but the ps3 has a huge install base now. I remember hearing a valve quote about how multi-processors is hard to develop for- but im pretty sure since then they have made source adaptive to that. How could they not? Lets get some fucking PS3 love already valve! I imagine it would easier for them to deliver free DLC on the PS3 too.

the Jack
04-09-2010, 09:43 AM
There's no Steam on the PS3, and frankly I'm surprised they even bother with XBOX.

jameskond
04-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Half-Life 2 is still the best game ever made though guys.. and giving people the change to further create there games like they did with Left4Dead and Portal is a very good thing to do, but hey, there actually PC devs for the most so most of you peeps don't care about it anyway

modeps
04-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Half-Life 2 is still the best game ever made though guys.. and giving people the change to further create there games like they did with Left4Dead and Portal is a very good thing to do, but hey, there actually PC devs for the most so most of you peeps don't care about it anyway

I disagree. Half Life 2 was a good game, but it really wasn't the best game ever. Particularly the stupid driving segments... Those were just padding to make the game longer.

Roc Ingersol
04-09-2010, 09:56 AM
You forget that Valve themselves have made several jabs at the PS3 as a platform.You put too much stock in that then. They've jabbed at everything they've used; the Mac, directX, the 360 -- all whenever it suits their purposes.*

They support whatever stands to make them money, regardless of what they think about the platform.

*( I'm very tempted to generalize that to: any developer or publisher talking about a platform to the press is saying only what advances their business interests. Carmack is the only exception I know of, that gives his technical opinions divorced from his business interests.)

scott topic
04-09-2010, 10:24 AM
You forget that Valve themselves have made several jabs at the PS3 as a platform. I was only poking back now that the PS3 has become 'the' gaming platform.

since when did PS3 become 'the' platform?

Earth Djinn
04-09-2010, 10:28 AM

Oh? According to who? Sony's PR people?

Agnostic Pope
04-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Well there's no sense crying over every mistake. We just keep on trying till we run out of cake.

We? What are you saying exactly?

Pluvious
04-09-2010, 11:31 AM

I was only poking back now that the PS3 has become 'the' gaming platform.

Your new $500 fanboyism is showing now that you bought a PS3. It's insulting. Especially since PS3 is/was known for it's poor development tools and software. I guess now that YOU bought one it's become "the" gaming platform huh? :rolleyes:

Slacker
04-09-2010, 11:36 AM

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that they just don't want the hassle of dealing with a poor development environment (http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2009/03/02/sony-made-ps3-a-pain-in-the-asson-purpose/).

DeluxE
04-09-2010, 11:59 AM
I disagree. Half Life 2 was a good game, but it really wasn't the best game ever. Particularly the stupid driving segments... Those were just padding to make the game longer.

I'm so glad that most thinking gamers now seem to hold this opinion. Half Life 2 was great, but it had terrible pacing and very little enemy variety/poor AI. The squand-mates you were forced to team up with at the end were especially messy. And for all the love and energy poured into the back-story, Gordon's personal adventure was kind of dull compared to many other AAA games.

I loved the game, but calling this the best game ever made is like calling God of War 2 or 3 the best. Sorry, it just isn't.

mrbrick
04-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that they just don't want the hassle of dealing with a poor development environment (http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2009/03/02/sony-made-ps3-a-pain-in-the-asson-purpose/).

From the article:

“We don’t provide the ‘easy to program for’ console that (developers) want, because ‘easy to program for’ means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?”

I dont think that exactly means "olol we made it hard olol". It seems to me that they built the cell so that it would out last the compitition. A multicore gaming machine. Those quotes just seem to have that weird japanese buisness man poetry in them.

modeps
04-09-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm so glad that most thinking gamers now seem to hold this opinion. Half Life 2 was great, but it had terrible pacing and very little enemy variety/poor AI. The squand-mates you were forced to team up with at the end were especially messy. And for all the love and energy poured into the back-story, Gordon's personal adventure was kind of dull compared to many other AAA games.

I loved the game, but calling this the best game ever made is like calling God of War 2 or 3 the best. Sorry, it just isn't.

I'll still remember the first time that Half LIfe 1's Marine unit descended on Black Mesa. THAT shit was mind blowing, particularly due to how they attacked. It was the first example that I can remember of actual intelligent AI working together as a squad. They took cover, flanked, and used grenades properly. I must have played those segments over and over just because it felt so great.

Half Life 2 relied on a physics toy for it's key feature and honestly it didn't take long to get tired of moving some boxes to make a ramp go up and down. DOG was cool; Alex was cool; but like you said, all that stuff was paced terribly. I would have rather they skipped the driving sequences and condensed the story.

lockwoodx
04-09-2010, 12:13 PM
"THE" gaming platform is the nintendo DS. People are still working on getting those 4 jobs to afford PS3s.

SwitchBlade_Jax
04-09-2010, 01:31 PM
I'll still remember the first time that Half LIfe 1's Marine unit descended on Black Mesa. THAT shit was mind blowing, particularly due to how they attacked. It was the first example that I can remember of actual intelligent AI working together as a squad. They took cover, flanked, and used grenades properly. I must have played those segments over and over just because it felt so great.

Half Life 2 relied on a physics toy for it's key feature and honestly it didn't take long to get tired of moving some boxes to make a ramp go up and down. DOG was cool; Alex was cool; but like you said, all that stuff was paced terribly. I would have rather they skipped the driving sequences and condensed the story.

I dunno, I think the ninja's had me shitting my pants more. Them fuckers were hard as hell to catch. The marines could gut me pretty good at times too.

I love dog, best use of him I think was in episode one where you get in a car and he throws you. HL2 felt kinda jumbled though and a little too "lets go sight seeing". I think I would of rather kinda of stayed in city and just on the outskirts of the city instead of all the traveling around.

Anywho, if the next game doesn't explain the G-Man after 11 years of waiting, I'm gonna take my copy and mail it back to them with ten pounds of C4.

DeluxE
04-09-2010, 01:33 PM

Yeah, I agree.

Honestly, Ep.2 was a real step forward in the storytelling and pacing departments, and I had high hopes for Ep. 3. But that was years ago. These guys have a hell of a rep, and I do respect the great things they've done, but right about now I'm not about to kiss their asses and worship at the shrine of HL2.

Time to move on.

Anyway, Portal was fun. here's hoping the next one is too!:D

shadow763
04-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Geez people, I think Evils comment about it being "the" gaming platform was a bit tongue in cheek. Granted he is happy with the PS3 since he has had a lot of problems with the 360, something I can identify with. The fact that this gen has brought a feeling of instability when it comes to console longevity is disheartening. Either way, its fun when he stirs the pot.

As far as the multi processor BS from Valve, that only flew when dual core was the new thing. But now that quad core is becoming more popular in the PC world, and Valve is primarily a PC developer, they have had more then enough time to wrap their head around. Adding on a few more processors is not going to kill them.

Finally....Valve is doing their best to make me not care about Half Life, and I love the series. You guys have churned out two L4D games, you can give birth to another four hour "episode".

Slacker
04-09-2010, 05:57 PM
As far as the multi processor BS from Valve, that only flew when dual core was the new thing. But now that quad core is becoming more popular in the PC world, and Valve is primarily a PC developer, they have had more then enough time to wrap their head around. Adding on a few more processors is not going to kill them.

You're making the faulty assumption that a PS3 SPE is the same thing as a PC/Xbox 360 core. It's not.

edit - Seems like this might be a reasonable explanation: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=758390

SwitchBlade_Jax
04-09-2010, 07:09 PM
You're making the faulty assumption that a PS3 SPE is the same thing as a PC/Xbox 360 core. It's not.

edit - Seems like this might be a reasonable explanation: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=758390

No wonder Sony's Cell is so damn difficult. I wouldn't want to bother with that crap either. I still wish they had given each system a gig of RAM, what a loss.

vallor
04-09-2010, 07:17 PM
I don't get the Valve love. Everything they've done since HL1+CS has merely been "pretty good" when taken as a whole. You usually get one, maybe two INCREDIBLE ideas wrapped up in an otherwise mediocore looking and playing game. HL2, TF2, L4D (1/2), Portal... they have a few great features but they fall down in other areas to balance out that greatness.

Nothing wrong with being average but, IMO their games don't warrent all the ass-kissing they seem to get.

As for developing for the PS/3, more people need to be forthright about the difficulties working with that system. It is HELL and Sony needs some kind of motivation to change their tools. If people aren't vocal about it nothing will change. At the end of the day Sony needs to figure out that THEY need the developers more than the developers need them.

shadow763
04-09-2010, 08:36 PM

I am not saying its the exact same thing, but seeing as that article is four years old and the PS3 is churning out stuff as good or better then what you see on the 360 visuals wise i think its safe to say that developers have figured out how to disseminate the processing duties. If Valve is not able to handle this then their programming prowess is questionable.

Then again they don't exactly put out games exuding the latest and greatest visuals, they tend to just tweak their half life 2 engine which is as old as can be at this point with some tweaks here and there.

MasterKwan
04-09-2010, 08:50 PM
You usually get one, maybe two INCREDIBLE ideas wrapped up in an otherwise mediocore looking and playing game. HL2, TF2, L4D (1/2), Portal...

Every month I funnel money at them through Steam. I don't even look at retail games in stores any more. HL1 was groundbreaking. HL2, I think they went down the wrong path with the plot, as scifi goes, it was pretty boring and I HATED the driving sequences too. The grav gun was the only thing I really enjoyed about the game. Alex, I hated her. She didn't add anything to the story that was worth adding.

Portal now, was ground breaking. I don't see how they can improve on that. Perfect length, perfect environment. A sequel will just be a let-down.

Anenome
04-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Alex, at the time, was the best realized female charrie in a game, and she's pretty hawt, and smart. You're flirting with her, and she with you, the whole game practically. It's a shame you didn't like her so as to enjoy that part ;)

SwitchBlade_Jax
04-10-2010, 07:19 AM
If Valve is not able to handle this then their programming prowess is questionable.

Listen, Valve can program for the PS3, they just don't give a shit about it. Not caring and not having a skill are two different things. Reading how the cell works, I wouldn't want to program for it either. It sounds like trying to make inmates locked in tiny jail cells all breakout and work with each other.

MasterKwan
04-10-2010, 07:41 AM
Alex, at the time, was the best realized female charrie in a game

You are so full of shit. The fake emotions she was trying to portray were so forced it was painful to watch. The Japanese had more fully realized characters all the way back in the PS1 era. Code Veronica, any of the later Resident Evils. I applaud Valve for trying but, Alex was a failed experiment.

Stormwatcher
04-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Argh. So... much... dumbness...

shadow763
04-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Listen, Valve can program for the PS3, they just don't give a shit about it.

These are the replies I was looking for.

Anenome
04-10-2010, 12:36 PM
You are so full of shit. The fake emotions she was trying to portray were so forced it was painful to watch. The Japanese had more fully realized characters all the way back in the PS1 era. Code Veronica, any of the later Resident Evils. I applaud Valve for trying but, Alex was a failed experiment.
I mean visually. IIRC, she was the first constructed from hi-res photographic textures, etc. All sorts of new emotion systems and facial animation was used on her/them. Alex brightened when she saw you, subtly but noticeably, she fed you longing looks, and shyly seductive glances. It was extremely well done. Again, I'm sorry you couldn't appreciate it.

bowie
04-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Listen, Valve can program for the PS3, they just don't give a shit about it. Not caring and not having a skill are two different things. Reading how the cell works, I wouldn't want to program for it either. It sounds like trying to make inmates locked in tiny jail cells all breakout and work with each other.

Unfortunately for us programmers, the hard way is the best way. Only by isolating work and eliminating contention can you get linear speed-up in parallel code. The problem is Valve backed an approach that works fine with symmetric architectures but is not suited to asymmetric architectures. And changing a decision like that after the fact is likely to be a substantial amount of work.