PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Game Room Now Available

modeps
03-24-2010, 05:29 AM
Time to see if Microsoft's big push towards classic gaming is worth the hype. The Game Room is now available to download on Xbox Live Marketplace in three parts: The Game Room (http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/f0000006-0000-4000-8000-00004d530901?cid=SLink) itself, and two game packs (one (http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/02301000-0000-4000-8000-00004d530901?cid=SLink), two (http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/02302000-0000-4000-8000-00004d530901?cid=SLink)). All are free, but you'll need to pay to unlock things.

Game Room on Xbox LIVE and Games for Windows - LIVE lets you relive the glory days of classic arcade and console games in their original forms. Your avatar will take part in the original sights, sounds and gameplay that will make these retro games come alive on your Xbox 360 and Windows-based PC in one fast, fun experience. Game Room will bring you a library of original classics like “Centipede®” and “Asteroids Deluxe®” from Atari Inc. and other favorites from Intellivision, Konami Corp, and more. With weekly new title releases, your arcade will soon be retrofitted to perfection. Challenge your friends to beat your high score by sending custom challenges and taunts across platforms, earn Achievements, unlock levels, and climb your way to the top of the universal leaderboards. Also enjoy the freedom of buying games for Game Room once and playing on both Xbox 360 and a Windows-based PC.

modeps
03-24-2010, 05:30 AM
... and it looks like Microsoft is having some issues with it:
Game Room is available for download, but there appears to be some problems with loading games. It's being investigated.

mute
03-24-2010, 06:27 AM
I downloaded all 3 this morning and was wondering about "Free" being next to each download. I didn't bother getting too excited though. The initial listing of games I saw didn't excite me for the most part but there are some games I'm hoping get in there anyway. Either way, it'll be fun to relive some memories and laugh about all the allowance I spent on great box art. Hopefully everything's fixed by the time I get home

ElfShotTheFood
03-24-2010, 06:49 AM
Tempest was pretty awesome back in the day.

Johan
03-24-2010, 07:42 AM
Someone could post a list of the actual games. The links in the OP don't tell you the names, and a list would be nice.

I think many of these titles are available cheaply as part of compilations, and I want to check my instinct against the actual list.

92miata
03-24-2010, 08:07 AM
downloading now. thanks for the heads up!!!!!

92miata
03-24-2010, 08:08 AM
not sure. there are 2 game packs available for free. 15 games.

PatrickRes9
03-24-2010, 08:22 AM

Its back and running now. I think those game packs just make the arcades appear. It still wants me to pay to play.

PatrickRes9
03-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Someone could post a list of the actual games. The links in the OP don't tell you the names, and a list would be nice.

I think many of these titles are available cheaply as part of compilations, and I want to check my instinct against the actual list.

Do you have it? I downloaded the two packs, but I still dont have any arcade titles to play. It wants me to buy them all.

pwnophobia
03-24-2010, 08:39 AM

Adventure
Armor Battle
Asteroids Deluxe
Astrosmash
Centipede
Battlantis
Crystal Castles
Gravitar
Lunar Lander
Red Baron
Combat
Finalizer
Football
Tempest
Jungler
Millipede
Outlaw
Road Fighter
Realsports Tennis
Sea Battle
Scramble
Skiing, Mountain Madness/Super Pro
Space Armada
Space Hawk
Shao-lin's Road (Kicker)
Star Raiders
Super Cobra
Sub Hunt
Tutankham
Yar's Revenge

Samstag
03-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Tempest was pretty awesome back in the day.

It was pretty awesome with a spinner control and vector graphics. Using a joystick on anything other than a color vector monitor is a disappointment.

Adventure
Armor Battle
Asteroids Deluxe
Astrosmash
Centipede
Battlantis
Crystal Castles
Gravitar
Lunar Lander
Red Baron
Combat
Finalizer
Football
Tempest
Jungler
Millipede
Outlaw
Road Fighter
Realsports Tennis
Sea Battle
Scramble
Skiing, Mountain Madness/Super Pro
Space Armada
Space Hawk
Shao-lin's Road (Kicker)
Star Raiders
Super Cobra
Sub Hunt
Tutankham
Yar’s Revenge

No info on which are 2600, arcade, etc that I can find.

The packs are free, but the games aren't.

Johan
03-24-2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks, pwnophobia. I have several compilation titles (Atari Anthology, etc.) and many of these games are repeats for me.

Now, can I play combat online against someone else? INSTANT PURCHASE if so. I freaking LOVE that game. :)

Do you have it?

I'm not at my 360 right now. :(

Albinobees
03-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Do you have it? I downloaded the two packs, but I still dont have any arcade titles to play. It wants me to buy them all.

you do have to buy them individually. think of game room as a portal to access these old school games, but you do need to purchase them first.

modeps
03-24-2010, 09:27 AM
It's supposedly working again. woot?

vivalahazy
03-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Just on it there, and my first impression is...

what a load of bollocking old pish.

So they make us download this whole thing for free, give us two game packs for "free" then when you go to play its like yes spend 5 of these virtual coins if you wish to play once or spend Microsoft points to play the game just like we've been asking you to do the whole time since XBLA was made up

it just seems pointless

LilAbner
03-24-2010, 10:22 AM
A lot of entitlement being thrown around here lately.

They are games. Microsoft is a for-profit business, not a charity.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Yay, captialism!

Johan
03-24-2010, 10:24 AM
If you don't like it, don't buy it. Yay, captialism!

Have you heard about the health care bill? :D

modeps
03-24-2010, 10:25 AM

Shut up Johan.

PS: Stop driving on public roads or collecting your social security check, gramps.

Johan
03-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Shut up Johan.

Oh COME ON! :)

It was irresistible. I haaaaaaaad to say it.

Also, be nice to your elders. We're old and fragile. ;)

ElfShotTheFood
03-24-2010, 10:32 AM

Isn't there a non-gaming forum (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19) where you can post your tiresome political jibes?

Johan
03-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Isn't there a non-gaming forum (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19) where you can post your tiresome political jibes?

Someone need a hug? :D

Philip J. Fry
03-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Anyone know which companies have signed on to provide arcade roms for this? If it's just Atari and nobody else I am not interested. I might spend the $2 on a few roms from Sega or Taito or Namco, though.

Johan
03-24-2010, 04:13 PM
I tried it, and you know what? It's crap. MS is ingenious, however, in unlocking a 5/1000 achievement for just visiting the damn thing, because now I can never delete the POS from my games played list. For people for whom achievements matter (not myself), they'll be staring at 995 points they haven't earned for forever.

Pretty freaking sly, MS...pretty ingenious, you clever and annoying bastards. :rolleyes:

blackzc
03-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Shut up Johan.

PS: Stop driving on public roads or collecting your social security check, gramps.

I need shoes, who handles that?

Back OT, if these are arcade versions ill be getting some of them. Even though i grew up with a 2600 it was hard to have fun with then and unplayable to me now.

BabyJesus
03-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Hated it. Ugh what a mess. Minor letdown but it could have been so much better. And the intellivision games where you have to look at the old controller are impossible. The controller is sooooooo smail.

grognard66
03-25-2010, 04:14 AM
Oh COME ON! :)

It was irresistible. I haaaaaaaad to say it.

Also, be nice to your elders. We're old and fragile. ;)

Which is precisely why we need this health care bill! Ha - I couldn't resist either. :)

Chimpbot
03-25-2010, 06:02 AM
As it turns out, "classic" and "good" aren't synonyms.
Who would've thought that 30-year-old games really aren't worth rebuying. Again.
There's a reason why I haven't bought the Voltron DVDs or touched anything related to Bubble Bobble since my childhood.
For the most part, old games were only awesome when they were new. I don't want to spend money to ruin childhood memories.

ilRadd
03-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Well, I did buy Tempest...multi-platform...I couldn't resist...