PDA

View Full Version : Caprica -The Battle For Humanity Has A Beginning

Evil Avatar
01-22-2010, 08:07 AM
http://evilavatar.com/images/thumbs/capricapilot_logo.jpg

A little reminder for Battlestar Galactica fans, the first episode of Caprica (http://www.syfy.com/caprica/) will air tonight on SyFy.

Set 58 years before Battlestar Galactica, The death of his daughter leads the creator of a failing urban combat robot project on an intrigue filled journey into politics and the criminal underworld. After discovering his daughter has successfully created a virtual copy of herself he strives to bring her into the real world using a stolen processor in his combat chassis with her code. All appears lost when a system failure leads him to believe she is truly dead, He goes on to use the processor and her code to secure the future of his failing project. Impressed with the demonstration the government appear very pleased with his Cybernetic Life form Node or CYLON. But all is not lost when the CYLON is deactivated she awakens reaches out to friend.

I thought the pilot movie was good, but it is hard to get excited about the series after the big pile o' suck that was the final episode of BSG.

automaton
01-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Wow, for once I completely agree with Evil Avatar's editorializing. I watched BSG for the entire 4 seasons and loved just about every episode. The finale was a huge pile of gorilla dung. It was so bad, I just can't bring myself to give a shit about Caprica.

gzsfrk
01-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Is it just me, or does the chick on the cover of this look like a younger Roslyn?

(And if the answer to that is obvious to someone who's watched the entire series, bear with me; my wife and I just recently started watching BSG on DVD, and are currently nearing the end of season 2.)

mattlreese
01-22-2010, 08:30 AM
It’s funny how I thought I was going to miss BSG as the last season was coming to an end but then I watched the final episode......

I will wait on Caprica until I hear reviews that say its any good.

Phhhh
01-22-2010, 08:32 AM
I liked the 3 hour long finale episode. There were things I didn't like, but overall I liked it.

OMNIPRO
01-22-2010, 08:33 AM
Does anyone know if they are airing the movie tonight as a 2hour premiere or are they showing epsiodes 3 and 4?

And to gzsfrk:
I didn't notice that, but she does a little like Ros. Maybe it's the hair.

brandonjclark
01-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Caprica was awesome! I look forward to this series.

White667
01-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Ahhhhh... Goddamnit.
I'm finished with Battlestar, I waited until the show was over so that I could watch it all at once and be done. And they just gotta bring out more spinoffs and blah.
I'll think about watching it later on, maybe.

yutt
01-22-2010, 10:32 AM
BSG was unbearable after season 1, and mediocre during. Not sure what the excitement was about. Completely ludicrous plots and irritating, unlikeable characters.

How many times can you use the "OMG S/HE'S A CYLON" reverse deus ex machina as a plot device. Bleh.

The original BSG rocked, however.

TheBot
01-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Hot, who is that chick?

Anenome
01-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Hot, who is that chick?
Just another hot chick.

Syl
01-22-2010, 10:55 AM
I've been wanting to see this for a while. I'm more curious about the universe than the characters at the moment, but i loved BSG, so i think i'll love wherever they take this.

Azriel77
01-22-2010, 11:12 AM
I loved battlestar galactica but the last two episodes were horrible. Pulling a deus ex machina(god did it) out of their collective asses to explain everything just ruined it.

This is what I wrote on reddit about it: *spoiler warning*

I watched it and I have to say, it had some interesting moments, but the whole GOD/RELIGION angle is a big reason I am not going to watch it. We already went down the horrible "god did it" angle in BSG, and now it looks like it is going to repeat it with the Caprica. In fact, it looks like its going to be a huge component, with the secret one true god cult, the avatar daughter that believes in a one true god, the bombing of the buss from the cult member, the school head principal with a secret allegiance to the cult..etc..etc. I can already see all these miracles that will happen and never be explained because "god did it", like the avatar being covered in blood and knowing what happened to the real daughter even though she wasn't there. Utter crap. It is a shame, because the other stories look interesting, but it will all be overshadowed with the "gods plan" angle. Oh, the infinity sign = “All of this has happened before and all of it will happen again.”

Dag-Sabot
01-22-2010, 11:19 AM
...serious space jail-bail vibes with this one.

net7runner
01-22-2010, 11:48 AM
That's what I thought too, but apparently she's 22.

Not that they aren't trying to tween her up as much as possible. Also I think her character is supposed to be around 16...

Anenome
01-22-2010, 12:15 PM
That's what I thought too, but apparently she's 22.

Not that they aren't trying to tween her up as much as possible. Also I think her character is supposed to be around 16...
All I can say is... Ellen Page is kewt ^_^

TeeCakes
01-22-2010, 12:25 PM

Technically it'd be **necrophiliac**jail-bait. (spoiler for those who haven't seen the Caprica pilot/movie)

Actually the actress (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandra_Torresani) is 22, and heavily airbrushed in that pic most likely. I found bigger sizes and an alternate version (http://evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104191), for superfans! :D

drakkarim
01-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Is it just me, or does the chick on the cover of this look like a younger Roslyn?

a resemblance makes sense. she is holding an apple, which is typically portrayed as a teacher thing, and roslyn was mentioned to be either a teacher or something above that on the career ladder...

so she was a tramp in the beginning and then couldn't put out for adama? what a biotch.

i have no interest in this series though, the finale of the last just drained me completely of of all love for that universe.

Grumsh
01-22-2010, 04:13 PM
a resemblance makes sense. she is holding an apple, which is typically portrayed as a teacher thing, and roslyn was mentioned to be either a teacher or something above that on the career ladder...

so she was a tramp in the beginning and then couldn't put out for adama? what a biotch.

i have no interest in this series though, the finale of the last just drained me completely of of all love for that universe.

*Preface* I have not seen BSG or this show, I just work with and know slobbering fans of, who talk about it a lot (and even bought me season 2 and 3 on dvd for gifts .. ya thanks now buy me season 1 so I can watch them and know wtf is going on k thnx!). Anyways I thought the apple was more of an Adam and Eve thing you know representing "the First"?

Lutheran
01-22-2010, 04:35 PM
I bought the DD version of Caprica and never watched it. I am dvr'ing tonights episode as it has extra scenes in it that the early release didn't have. I didn't like the ending of BSG either but lets face it after all the hype almost any ending would have been panned. They happened to choose the worst out of all the bad ones they could have chosen.

SPOILERS FOR BSG FINALE

Both for how they all separated at the end and what Starbuck was.

ElfShotTheFood
01-22-2010, 06:23 PM
I never watched a single episode of the series and I won't watch this.

The end.

Zetsuei
01-22-2010, 06:49 PM
I'd put it in that chicks butt. Annnnnnnnd now I'm on every FBI watch list in the world.

sandman88
01-22-2010, 08:15 PM
No matter how BSG ended people would bitch. I liked it, was it everything I wanted, no, but in the end the final 3 hours entertained me enough. I enjoyed the nice CGI fun fest battle, the final 5 and their part, starbuck and her song, the only part i really didn't like was them leaving the ship and starting fresh, but i'm not gonna trash the series just because of that, especially since BSG was better than 90% of the crap on TV over the years.

Caprica is definitely entertaining and I'll be DVR'ing it each week. The pilot was good, and can't wait to see how it pans out.

Ravenus
01-22-2010, 10:31 PM

First off, all you haters are just like everyone's cock ass bosses where nothing is ever good enough. You do a fantastic job the entire time, or season, and there are a few loose ends on the finale and it's all garbage? Gimme a break! That show is incredible, no matter what. (PERIOD)

As, for the apple thing, it is not because she is a freaking teacher..... Maybe re-watch the whole series and pick up the on the religious tones this time, the apple is to signify Eve and the Apple that she tempts Adam with, not that she is a naked teacher. WTF. Lol.

Anyway, all you haters need to to get off the Battlestar Hater wagon and give the new show a chance. I saw the pilot and it was decent. Definately not Battlestar quality, but I didn't like the first couple episodes of BSG either, so I'll see what it has to offer!

brandonjclark
01-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Oh, and that girl is not that hot. She's deceivingly hotter in that picture because:

a) it's black and white, except for the apple which is a clear sign of a temptress, which gives just about anyone a boner

b) it's mostly a shot of her back, and backs on just about any slim woman are sexy as hell

c) you need to rub one out!

d) see c)

Phoenix1985
01-23-2010, 03:34 AM
Yeah.. I liked the series overall, but the final ep was a bit contrived. It was ok, but when you have a series that managed to affect people in so many ways, just being ok just isn't going to cut it. Especially with the awful , literal deus ex machina. Still, the final images of robots was.. cool? :confused: That's about it.

bean19
01-23-2010, 05:52 AM
a resemblance makes sense. she is holding an apple, which is typically portrayed as a teacher thing,
It is quite obviously an "Eve" thing here. She's a naked temptress offering knowledge. . .

This series seems to be about all the stuff I didn't care about in the first one (the themes that questioned what makes "humanity" and "what is real"?), minus the space battles, military structure, and survival themes that I loved in the first one.

Plus, there isn't a cast member you can like from the pilot movie. Everyone's old, dead, or whiney (usually two of those things).

The idea of kids in a future society committing terrorist acts was extremely provocative, but then they die in the first episode. You don't learn their agenda or what could make them possibly think that terrorism was a viable tactic (throughout history it has always failed as a tactic and these kids were supposed to be geniuses).

Like BSG, they hold back on key exposition that would allow us to like their characters (or at least understand their motivations). However, unlike BSG, they don't give us anything entertaining to watch and think about while we wait for the big reveals.

It's not nearly as well written.

drowsy
01-23-2010, 06:40 AM
BSG got consistently worse as it went on. I really quite liked seasons 1 & 2, but after that every episode just seemed to be worse than the one before. Obviously there were some highlights, and it was still watchable enough for me to get through the whole show.

WpnX
01-23-2010, 09:47 AM
I never watched a single episode of the series and I won't watch this.

The end.

...sigh...

Vulture
01-23-2010, 11:06 AM
yeah suicide white boys, hollywood trying for moral relativism it seems. Because homicide-bomber almost always have faith in the non rational. And these guys were supposed to be genius and thus rationalists. One hope someone has gotten around to mental health screenings when you have space flight.

Ravenus
01-23-2010, 01:22 PM
yeah suicide white boys, hollywood trying for moral relativism it seems. Because homicide-bomber almost always have faith in the non rational. And these guys were supposed to be genius and thus rationalists. One hope someone has gotten around to mental health screenings when you have space flight.

Were you high when you wrote this? I had to re-read it 3 times, and I'm still not sure if I get your point. It barely is cohesive enough to understand! But, Damn! Pass the Doobie! lol

Evil Avatar
01-23-2010, 09:10 PM
This series seems to be about all the stuff I didn't care about in the first one (the themes that questioned what makes "humanity" and "what is real"?), minus the space battles, military structure, and survival themes that I loved in the first one.

With only a two hour pilot under their belt it is hard to say where the series will go, but they certainly do tackle the question of "humanity" with the girl becoming an artificial lifeform and they briefly touch on "what is real" with the virtual reality world all the kids hang out in. The problem seems to be that they didn't indicate that they are going to do anything with the virtual world in the rest of the series.

I totally agree that without the space battles, military structure and survival themes that 90% of what made BSG great is gone.

Instead we get "One God vs Many Gods" which was the worst part of BSG and the part that cocked up the ending.

Squido
01-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Space battles, military structure, and survival themes?

I beg to differ. What made BSG great was exploration iof current events like:
1. Terrorism effectiveness
2. The effectiveness of torture as an information gathering tool.
3. The morality of torture and capital punishment
4. Alcoholism or dependence and codependence
5. Religion was explored in several ways from the shallow veneer of polytheism VS monotheism to an exploration of dependence on faith that seems to be pretty inherent in a lot of humanity.

If you loved that show for dog fights and pretty explosions, I guess I can understand your disappointment in the final episodes because the whole thing wasn't wrapped up into a neat package with a bow on top. I'm also going to guess that you are highly likely to be VERY disappointed in the real world because it's not fair, doesn't play by the rules (whatever they may be).

BSG was very much a commentary on current events, and Caprica is very likely to be similar. Based on the opening 2 hour pilot I would expect the following subjects to be explored:

1. Race and prejudice (the overtones in the pilot are like being hit with a baseball bat), and probably how they relate to politics. This will, no doubt, explore the nooks and crannies of the Obama presidency as it relates to racism and bigotry.
2. The singularity (i.e. Ray Kursweil's singularity) and it's impact on religion (or if you prefer immortality of any kind and it's impact on religion, as opposed to immortality brought about by the melding of organic and inorganic intelligence)
3. An exploration in religious zealousness and how it relates to terrorism. What do you suppose goes through the mind of a suicide bomber? How does a terrorist leader prep a suicide bomber?
4. I'm sure there will be many indictments of monotheism. So yeah....monotheism VS polytheism will be back. But don't simplify that discussion down to 'us VS them' or humans VS cylons. Ask questions and look for deeper meaning.

I haven't dug into who is on the writing team for BSG VS Caprica, but the writing has the same depth and tone. There are some smart fuckers on that team and many of us (I'm talking US o A, not EvAv members) could probably broaden our view of the world and ourselves and be better people if we discussed and debated Caprica's messages more completely.

Dag-Sabot
01-25-2010, 04:19 PM
... Sounds like space M*A*S*H

bean19
01-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Space battles, military structure, and survival themes?

I beg to differ. What made BSG great was exploration iof current events like:
1. Terrorism effectiveness
2. The effectiveness of torture as an information gathering tool.
3. The morality of torture and capital punishment
4. Alcoholism or dependence and codependence
5. Religion was explored in several ways from the shallow veneer of polytheism VS monotheism to an exploration of dependence on faith that seems to be pretty inherent in a lot of humanity.

Sure. My remark wasn't that those were the only themes in the show (or in the all episodes as some of your examples are really episode themes rather than themes that recur throughout the series), but that they were the ones that I enjoyed.

1. Terrorism effectiveness - well, it was hyper-effective in the BSG series because they were in a survival situation. Terrorism in such a situation nearly killed them all. That is not true in global politics.

2. Torture's effectiveness - In actuality, interviewing techniques are more effective than torture, but torture is also highly effective. In BSG, the Cylons knew that they were effectively immortal and thus didn't break even under a crazy amount of torture.

3. Morality of torture/capital punishment - Yeah, this came up a few times and was done well. It was not a major theme of the show, but it was the major them of a few episodes.

4. Ugh. The alcoholism of the second-in-command was so poorly done. He was never sufficiently punished for it, he never suffered the effects of it in the way that real alcoholics do, and he never really triumphed over it. Which was fine, because he was more interesting as a drunk. Also, I pretty much just wanted him to die in a fire when he came on screen for the first two seasons - before they made him likeable.

5. The problem with the religious themes is that they constantly played with fatalism vs. determinism AND they didn't want to take a stand on one side or the other. The gods lead them to Earth, but then it's barren. . . okay, so now they question their faith, but how were they lead there in the first place? They came out on both sides of this all the time in order to ask provocative questions, but they failed to create satisfying answers - not that I expect the writers of this show to have grand philosophical insights, but it becomes all too clear that God (and/or the Gods) served more to keep us watching and selling soda than because the writers had anything meaningful to say on the subject.

What I liked was the story of the last vestiges of humanity working together (as best they could) to escape an incredibly powerful and mysterious enemy while seeking a new homeland. . . so the space battles, military structure, and survival themes. :)

TeeCakes
01-25-2010, 10:17 PM
I think all of BSG's flaws turn into positives with Caprica. Instead of being limited to one single community, you expand the narrative to an entire planet (if not the entire Colony System). Instead of having an open-ended story about the fate of humanity (and a crappy open-ended finale as a result) we KNOW where the story's heading towards already (the 1st/2nd Cylon Wars and the destruction of humanity), we just need to know how it all goes down.

We're even given the hero of BSG in young William Adams/Adama. He seems to be pretty innocent and full of daddy issues about his father's/uncle's criminal connections. It'll be fun to see how he turns into the righteous rock of loyalty and morality for the survivors of humanity from his family's shady ethics.

I'm pretty sure that the Cylon tech being developed will also be used extensively in the show during action scenes, since the different Colonies seem easily provoked into acts of espionage and race wars. Might be a few border skirmishes before the Cylon threat unites humanity as one.

RMan
01-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Just another hot chick.
Depends where you see her, she was the first to play Michael Cera's 'ugly' girlfriend on Arrested Development.