PDA

View Full Version : Google Unveils Nexus One from HTC

modeps
01-05-2010, 10:58 AM
http://evavhost.com/i/news/nexusone.png

No, its not gaming news... but Google has officially unveiled their "Google Phone" titled the Nexus One. It's one hell of a phone and you can head on over to their page (http://google.com/phone) to buy one right now. Unlocked, it'll run you $529, or you can get a contract with T-Mobile and only spend $179.

130 grams w/battery
3.7-inch (diagonal) widescreen WVGA AMOLED touchscreen
800 x 480 pixels
5 MP Camera with Flash
Removable 1400 mAH battery with up to 10 hours of talk time, 5 hours Internet use over 3G, and 290 hours on standby
512MB Flash
512MB RAM
4GB Micro SD Card (Expandable to 32 GB)

More specs here (http://www.google.com/phone/static/en_US-nexusone_tech_specs.html).

brandonjclark
01-05-2010, 11:24 AM
So this is the iPhone/Blackberry killer that everyone has been talking about? It doesn't look like it can interface with OWA, so fat chance penetrating the business smart phone market without that capability.

I'm not that impressed.

brandonjclark
01-05-2010, 11:30 AM
"User can include location of photos from phone’s AGPS receiver" Okay, that's pretty cool.... if a little scary.

Infinity
01-05-2010, 11:42 AM
The good: coming to Verizon in spring 2010.
The bad: only 512MB available for app storage until they upgrade "with encryption to allow use of the SD card for storage".

Something tells me that encryption probably won't ever happen, because then the files are portable and crackable on PCs.

Nilych
01-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Not sure how much that encryption will matter, as the NexusOne was rooted before release (http://android.modaco.com/content/google-nexus-one-nexusone-modaco-com/298782/30-12-1-1-superboot-rooting-the-nexus-one/).

Syl
01-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Infinity: it says it comes with a 4 gig SD card for app storage as well.

Metal Jesus
01-05-2010, 11:48 AM
This doesn't exactly blow me away, and certainly isn't an iPhone killer.

shadow763
01-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Well its better looking then Droid which wasnt hard, and the interface on Android looks pretty cool. I love the active backgrounds. I still don't think from watching videos of it in action its going to end the iphone's life anytime soon, but its definitely in the right direction.

Also, I hate trackballs.

drakkarim
01-05-2010, 12:37 PM
spec wise it seems very similar to the Droid, which i was fortunate enough to get from work for free.

that aside, i wouldn't trade the droid for this. seems to be lacking the sliding keyboard underneath.

also, i personally am really tired of the curves on all the phones. love the droid because of its sharp angles, heavier weight, sturdy construction, etc.

the droid does outlook exchange perfectly, not to mention all the other regular junk email providers out there.

Salesmunn
01-05-2010, 01:47 PM
spec wise it seems very similar to the Droid, which i was fortunate enough to get from work for free..

Similar? The Nexus One has almost double the processor power.

Aside of that though, this is hardly any sort of big win here. People don't buy iPhones for the iPhone, they buy an iPhone for iTunes/Apps.

brandonjclark
01-05-2010, 02:06 PM
the droid does outlook exchange perfectly, ....

Hmm, then if this thing does Exchange as well, it has a shot. The problem is the lack of apps, though.

The last poster was wrong in that people don't buy it because it's a iPhone. I think that's EXACTLY why they buy it. This notion that people will buy into the iPhone now because of the app sensation will hit a relatively smaller number of people, IMO.

XenonCJ
01-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Hmm, then if this thing does Exchange as well, it has a shot. The problem is the lack of apps, though.

The last poster was wrong in that people don't buy it because it's a iPhone. I think that's EXACTLY why they buy it. This notion that people will buy into the iPhone now because of the app sensation will hit a relatively smaller number of people, IMO.Can someone explain how Droid interfaces with Exchange? Is it good enough to replace a Blackberry in a real enterprise corporate environment?

see colon
01-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Can someone explain how Droid interfaces with Exchange? Is it good enough to replace a Blackberry in a real enterprise corporate environment?

I have a Samsung Moment (runs Android) and it uses a program called Moxier Mail for Exchange. I'm not sure what the Droid uses, but there are options for Exchange on the Android platform.

LilAbner
01-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Any phone not on AT&T is an iPhone killer.

Chimpbot
01-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Google phone? I thought the point of Android was to make every phone with it a "Google phone"? Is the Droid I'm posting from no longer special enough to be a part of the family?

net7runner
01-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Hehehehe.

Google phone? I thought the point of Android was to make every phone with it a "Google phone"? Is the Droid I'm posting from no longer special enough to be a part of the family?
Google realized that it needed something to really push Android through. The various carriers didn't have the strength of identity to do it.

Android is nice, and I appreciate the openness of the platform, but their UI is still cluttery and sophomoric. Sigh.

Vandenh
01-05-2010, 04:45 PM
2010 year of the iPhone killer???

NOT

BlueBomber
01-05-2010, 05:19 PM
"User can include location of photos from phone’s AGPS receiver" Okay, that's pretty cool.... if a little scary.

Hasn't the iPhone had this functionality for the past 2 years?

LilBunnyFuFu
01-05-2010, 06:56 PM
I have been dying to ditch the iPhone for ANYTHING else, so this may be it. With my tax return if this is on verizon I will have to grab it.

I actually complained enough to AT&T that they allowed me to cancel the data package on my phone because anywhere I go in my city I never get more than 2 bars of 2G... Its horrible.

brandonjclark
01-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Hasn't the iPhone had this functionality for the past 2 years?

Oh, it might.... but I don't Apple.

Jotoco
01-05-2010, 07:06 PM
I actually complained enough to AT&T that they allowed me to cancel the data package on my phone because anywhere I go in my city I never get more than 2 bars of 2G... Its horrible.

I get full bars of 3G signal pratically anywhere I go!

And that's in a not so big town in Brazil. Third world or not! hah!

I like my E71, but I wanted some more browser and multimedia functions, and I was considering an Iphone, a n900 or this Nexus.

After seeing these videos, I'm pretty convinced that I'm between Iphone and N900. I'm waiting for the N900 to release around, first, since Apple sells TO retailers a 3GS for 600 dollars. Yes, they say they want to elitize (sp?) the iphone.

LilBunnyFuFu
01-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Additionally...

This sold me: TechCrunch Review (http://www.techcrunch.com/2010/01/05/google-nexus-one-the-techcrunch-review/)

LilBunnyFuFu
01-05-2010, 07:27 PM
I get full bars of 3G signal pratically anywhere I go!

And that's in a not so big town in Brazil. Third world or not! hah!

I live in St. Petersburg, Florida. Its not a massive metropolis, but it has a sky line, and I think that justifies a little more service from AT&T... Everyone I know that lives and works near me HATES them.

Anenome
01-05-2010, 07:30 PM
This.

There's a lot of people, like me, that just plain do not like Apple. Further, ain't no way I'm going back to AT&T, I can't even get signal in my own house with them. You can use this phone with other carriers, that fact alone makes this thing awesome.

Also, it's rather amazing to see the price of high end phones skyrocket along with the prices people are willing to pay for them. Data-unlimited plans are still fairly expensive, but these things will become mainstream.

We have now phones that are more expensive than some laptops. And phones that are edging into the realm of "portable computer" with the App store, and Google's phone will only increase that trend. I would love to see a Google app store equivalent, and to see it opened up to more dev'ers.

Anenome
01-05-2010, 07:35 PM
http://www.techcrunch.com/2010/01/05/google-nexus-one-the-techcrunch-review/

...But most of your interaction with the phone will be through the gorgeous 3.7 inch 480 x 800 OLED capacitive touchscreen. This is the best mobile phone display on the market today, blowing away the iPhone’s 480 x 320 display. The screen is bright and alive, and an absolute pleasure to use.

...This phone is also powered by the Snapdragon 1 GHz core processor, which is more than able to handle the Nexus One’s 3D graphics, multiple applications running in the background and heavy browser use simultaneously.

...Overall the Android is a superior mobile device, particularly when paired with Google Voice. Google is calling this the first of the Super Phones. And they may not be exaggerating all that much.

...Google Voice is deeply integrated with the phone, as it is with all Android phones. That means you can assign your Google Voice number to the phone, and use it to make all outbound calls and text messages. In my opinion this is the single biggest selling point for Android phones, and why I won’t switch away from the platform any time soon.

...Google’s Voice Keyboard is amazing. It goes way beyond the Voice Search application that was launched in 2009. Every text field in the device is now voice enabled. In most apps you can choose the microphone button and talk into the phone, which then converts your speech to text. I’ve found it to be around 90% accurate with no background noise (dropping to around 70% accuracy in a moving car). It’s easy to then go in and edit out errors. It’s a massive time-saving feature of the phone.

...The Live Wallpaper feature is pure eye candy, and fun. You can choose a variety of wallpaper settings like Grass (blades of grass wave gently in front of a day or night sky), Magic Smoke (my favorite, draws smoke, clouds, water and plasmas in eye popping colors), Water (touch it and it ripples), and a Polar Clock (presents the date and time as clockwise arcs).

...(much more, read the article!)

Anenome
01-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Oh wow, the Nexus has active noise cancellation o_O Why didn't anyone else think of this? There's a 2nd microphone on the back which measures background noise and uses it to isolate your voice. So, wind, construction, etc., no problem, and the reviewer said people he talked to on it noticed a big difference in sound quality over the iPhone. Looks like we can all make phone calls with the top down on the convertible now ;)

brandonjclark
01-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Oh wow, the Nexus has active noise cancellation o_O Why didn't anyone else think of this?

My phone already has that. STRAIGHT TALK (http://www.htc.com/www/press.aspx?id=104554&lang=1033)

The HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://www.htc.com/www/product/touchpro2/overview.html)

http://www.htc.com/uploadedImages/Common/Shared_Image/Gallery/HTC_Touch_Pro_2/large6.jpg

http://www.htc.com/uploadedImages/Common/Shared_Image/Gallery/HTC_Touch_Pro_2/large5.jpg

Anenome
01-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Nice, but the iPhone does not. SUCK ON THAT, APPLE :P

Zombosis
01-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Talk to me when it reaches the 6th generation.

/I'll use it for sure.
//Off the shoulder of Orion.
///Before it gets "retired".
////Like tears... In rain...

Vandenh
01-06-2010, 03:26 AM
This will be popular with geeks but no one else will buy it. The iPhone already has won the battle. You will need a new killer feature to wrestle market share away from Apple... and the Nexus doesn't offer that.

modeps
01-06-2010, 06:46 AM
This will be popular with geeks but no one else will buy it. The iPhone already has won the battle. You will need a new killer feature to wrestle market share away from Apple... and the Nexus doesn't offer that.

I really like the idea of a 5MP camera on my phone... I guess it's only a matter of time till Apple includes stuff like that in the next gen iPhone though. The active noise canceling is pretty dope though.

Sobran
01-06-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm curious about the comments regarding the app store. Google Android already features an extensive app store. I honestly think it needs to be better publicized. Virtually everything available on the iPhone App Store is also available on Android, either as a direct port or because some geek coded something similar in their spare time. Any app I can think of, I've found thus far, not to mention a lot of things that hadn't occurred to me. Google Office support is pretty nice.

Honestly, the only thing the Android Market lacks is any decent games beyond some tower defense nonsense. That is likely a function of computing power. My G1 is a really nice phone, but doesn't seem capable of performing 3D functions as well as the latest iPhone. The Nexus One should help in that department. I wouldn't be surprised if the open nature of the platform has game developers a little skittish as well. I don't use my phone for gaming (I have a DS...), but I'm sure that games on the phone are a selling point to... someone.

Overall, the Nexus One has everything I imagine the Android platform needs to move ahead... but no physical keyboard. So I guess I'll stick with the G1 until I find something with the specs of a Nexus One or Acer Liquid, with a keyboard. I'm loathe to use Google Office without one.

An aside: GPS tagging of photos is available even on the G1. It's just a little obscured. I'm guessing they brought out the functionality a bit more in the new system OS. Ditto on the Microsoft Exchange support. Again, these things aren't publicized well, though in the latter case it may be because the Exchange support is third-party (through the Market).