PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy offers Guild Wars Trilogy at a Discount

Kragg
12-18-2009, 06:57 AM
Via Massively.com (http://www.massively.com/2009/12/17/best-buy-offers-guild-wars-trilogy-for-14-99-why-you-need-to/)

In case you haven't heard, Best Buy is offering the Guild Wars Trilogy at a serious discount this week. $14.99 for Guild Wars: Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall. Since the game is free-to-play, a one-time price of $15 for all three games is a powerful incentive to check out the game as a new player. But what if you're a longtime player who loves a bargain? Are you staring at the offer, thinking "Oh man, $14.99. I really don't NEED another account, but..." Never fear, for we are here to help justify your purchase with our "ten things to do with an extra Guild Wars account."

1. PvP against yourself.
2. Hide all your stuff until the hacking issue is sorted out.
3. Pick up more presents from Nicholas the Traveler.
4. More Xunlai tournament points...wait, never mind.
5. Lots of extra storage at a fraction of the price.
6. Got friends in two different guilds and torn on which one to stick with? Put an account in both!
7. Lend yourself three more heroes if you're feeling particularly antisocial.
8. Run your alts places.
9. Use up all of those great character names that you thought up but didn't have the character slots for.
10. Do Tihark Orchard and Chahbek Village on even MORE characters.

We're sure you can think up even more reasons to make the purchase -- if it helps, they even offer a "Great Financing Offer" if you need to spread your payments over 18 months. So pick up a little Christmas gift for yourself. Enjoy!

This would be a great "last minute gift" for any MMO player on your list, or a great entry level price to try this classic game on a budget.

Demo_Boy
12-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Really good deal, good game, heck i even watch Guild Wars matches in Spec mode for fun

Phokal
12-18-2009, 07:31 AM
I just got this one steam awhile back for about $20. I wonder when they are going to put the last expansion (Eye of the North) up there....

AspectVoid
12-18-2009, 07:38 AM
I think I'll pick this up for my sister for Christmas. I already got her the collectors editions of Dragon Age and its strategy guide, but she's never played an MMO before. Since she's also currently out of a job, I think this would make a good extra gift for her.

Demo_Boy
12-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Guild Wars doesnt really feel like an MMO.
More like a "coop mission grind" in campaign mode, and a really awesome bunch of Team PVP game modes - with limited linking between the two genres of play.
This is its strength. Red-flagging it as an MMO is kind of an accident.

PacerDawn
12-18-2009, 08:35 AM
A good game to play with friends, although the fact that it is completely corridor based with invisible walls makes it a bit frustrating.

Still, I picked this up on Sunday when I saw the flyer. I immediately ordered 2 copies (for me and my son) on-line for in-store pickup and prayed they would pull them before they sold out. Fortunately, I got both, and when I got there, I saw they had a third still in stock.

However, this update is a bit late to the party. This sale first occurred on Sunday. If any BB's still have this in stock today I'd be surprised.

gzsfrk
12-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Fantastic deal on this game, although I do wonder for how much longer NCSoft will keep the Guild Wars 1 server's going with the release of Guild Wars 2 around the corner. Unlike Everquest 1, which still has paying customers, NCSoft doesn't have a lot of incentive (except customer relations) for keeping the GW1 servers going, seeing as it's unlikely that they'll be releasing any more expansions for it, and the sales of GW1 and the 3 currently available expansions have pretty much slowed to a trickle by this point (with the exception of sales like this one).

Kragg
12-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Fantastic deal on this game, although I do wonder for how much longer NCSoft will keep the Guild Wars 1 server's going with the release of Guild Wars 2 around the corner. Unlike Everquest 1, which still has paying customers, NCSoft doesn't have a lot of incentive (except customer relations) for keeping the GW1 servers going, seeing as it's unlikely that they'll be releasing any more expansions for it, and the sales of GW1 and the 3 currently available expansions have pretty much slowed to a trickle by this point (with the exception of sales like this one).

I believe they will be around for a while due to the retroactive EOTN "Hall of Monuments" unlocks that will be in GW2. At least for a while, because I'm sure that will generate some cause for completionists to go back to the final expansion and unlock things.

My necromancer is pretty much prepped from GW1. She has quite a few unlocks except for the Destroyer weapons that I didn't feel like farming for.

sgtslappy
12-18-2009, 09:22 AM
If you're lazy, you can buy it online as well.

sgtslappy
12-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Guild Wars (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Guild+Wars+Trilogy+-+Windows/9075056.p?id=1218016140412&skuId=9075056&st=guild%20wars&lp=1&cp=1) for only 15 bucks.

drakkarim
12-18-2009, 09:44 AM
I think I'll pick this up for my sister for Christmas. I already got her the collectors editions of Dragon Age and its strategy guide, but she's never played an MMO before. Since she's also currently out of a job, I think this would make a good extra gift for her.

you're not giving her too much incentive/time to find a job ;)

drakkarim
12-18-2009, 09:46 AM
if eye was included i'd be all over it, until then, passing. which means probably skipping altogether until gw2 comes out.

AspectVoid
12-18-2009, 10:22 AM
you're not giving her too much incentive/time to find a job ;)

Its not my job to nag her to be responsible. That chore goes to our parents. I get to be the only one who provides her with fun stuff over the holidays.

gzsfrk
12-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Well, I just called my local Best Buy, and they said they have several of these in stock. I think I'm going to drive out and pick up a couple copies to give as gifts.

Capt_Thad
12-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Just to throw you all off, the online store has a deal going right now where if you buy one of the campaigns online, you get the Eye of the North expansion for free (link (https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl?dnv=7462828574&action=toggleCategory&category=4)). I guess you can get the trilogy at Best Buy for $15 and buy the expansion (what you need to get Hall of Monuments and all the GW2 preview stuff) for $30, or spend $5 extra and pay $50 for the trilogy online and get the expansion for free... guess it comes down to taxes, gas, whether or not you want a box and so on.

Mav
12-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Guild Wars even at this price, is not worth it.

ArenaNet is the first game company to flat out lie to me as a customer.

Back in 2003 and 2004, Guild Wars being billed as a fairly grindless game. Their printed advertisements in gaming mags like PC World, PC Gamer or CGW, actually had their slogan "Players are rewarded for skill not time invested". With the PvP seeming pretty awesome, a ladder ranking system built into the game, with guild halls and arenas etc it seemed awesome. A low level cap that you could reach easily (or not at all if you just started a pvp character) it seemed PERFECT.

Then..2005 hit. The game was released. Advertisements still listed the game as skill rewarded, not /played.

And it was downhill from there...

The PvP toons you could make did start at level 20, but with virtually no gear. And at first there was no way to really earn better gear in PvP. You had to grind through PvE to get the weapons, armor, upgrades, spells, etc to USE in PvP.

This..sucked..ass.

Then, a month or so into release, they implemented the Faction Points crap. You could earn points in PvP, that you could turn in for items and upgrades and spells. Seemed awesome, no more PvE right? Wrong, you simply exchanged one form of grind for another form of grind. You went from killing the same mob over and over to simply spending hours pvping, which was less fun cause you were more worried at the time about getting enough faction points to complete your character so your team could do well on the pvp ladder.

And that wasn't to mention all the buggy and overpowered gameplay that needed a nerfbat.

Remember Ranger spirits? At first they were not intangible, at the start they could be used to great choke points. Sure thats strategic and creative, but when you would have 8v8 matches and 8 rangers would just make wall after all after wall of spirits that you could never get passed, simply done to create draw senarios for match outcomes, it was just overpowered. Yes, eventually they fixed that a few months later, but by the time they did, the first season of the ladder was practically destroyed by such broken gameplay mechanics.

Remember the last big patch that summer in 05'? It was the Summer Festival patch or whatever, big content patch, big bug fix patch, except it never arrived on time. I know...I know, its done when its done, this happens in gaming. True. But when ALL their dev members and PR spinners kept saying "this will be out before summer ends" and ya know in like mid november its released and they are STILL saying that, in OCTOBER you know its just..not worth it.

Has the game changed or gotten better? I dont know, I quit circa October 2005, I had such damn high hopes for the game, that first ladder season before it was broken in two my guild was in the top 20, and it was awesome. Such fond memories of the various arenas and gvg's and all that. But it was just slowly wittled away. As the specs for pvp changed and strats evolved..I found my toon needing new spells or different items that I would need to grind to get. And since I bought a game based on an actual marketing slogan of my skill would be rewarded not how long I could stare at my screen, yea I was let down.

I know people say GW2 will be the next coming of jebus but honestly, ArenaNet has burnt alot of fans over the years. I'll pass on their products.

Capt_Thad
12-18-2009, 03:11 PM
@Mac: I bought in from the beginning, and I haven't had any experience I would relate to grinding. There's a lot of special titles and rare crap you can get from grinding, but it's not necessary for playing the game. You make enough money and gain enough experience just from playing through the quests. I can count the number of times I've done farming runs for anything on one hand, and that's generally for a rare item I wanted for purely cosmetic reasons.

You're talking about PvP though, and I honestly haven't spent much time doing that. I also explore every inch of everything, because exploration is the most important factor of an RPG to me, so I kill tons of stuff just by nature of my play style. Could be that there's just no PvE grind (unless you're a title whore or a compulsive item collector, in which case grind is what you're playing for). If you play a character through a campaign, you'll have more than you ever need for PvP (everything you unlock playing through the game-skills, runes, equipment mods, etc.-becomes available for use for all PvP chars on your account, same as PvP unlocks). I'm thinking that they wanted to balance the gameplay time, so that people who made PvP chars wouldn't have a serious advantage over PvE players looking to take their guys into PvP.

I did burn out on the game (a few years after the fact, which is pretty impressive for me), but it was more from making so many characters and playing the same content over and over. Instead of just playing through with a single character, I'd get about halfway through a campaign and decide to try another character type or make something to play through with someone I just got into the game... I think with GW2 I'll have to stick with one primary character instead of four primaries with some alts for the hell of it. I still bust it out from time to time on event weekends or when I get a craving.

Capt_Thad
12-18-2009, 03:18 PM
EDIT: Just realized you said you haven't played since October 2005... which means that you gave a [pseudo-]mmo game all of 6 months to become perfect... and you're also recommending against both of the other campaigns (Factions added major amounts of PvP content and Nightfall pretty much redefined the PvE) without having ever played them... I'd suggest you look at what's changed since you last logged in. The game has gone through so many revisions and improvements, and Eyes of the North alone is a must have for all the content it adds.

If you'd been playing the game with us for the last 4 years, you might know why everyone is so excited about GW2.

Mav
12-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Yea, I gave it 6 months. To become perfect? No. How about fulfill what they advertised? In America at least, thats a damn crime to commit faulty advertising. Maybe years later they have but in the first 6 months of the game, not so much.

I'm sorry as I originally said, they just left too bad a taste in my mouth to be forgiven. I'm the same type who didn't buy L4D2 because its just a glorified rushed expansion pack nor MW2 for their craptastic decisions for PC.

I vote with my wallet.

Capt_Thad
12-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Yea, I gave it 6 months. To become perfect? No. How about fulfill what they advertised? In America at least, thats a damn crime to commit faulty advertising. Maybe years later they have but in the first 6 months of the game, not so much.

I'm sorry as I originally said, they just left too bad a taste in my mouth to be forgiven. I'm the same type who didn't buy L4D2 because its just a glorified rushed expansion pack nor MW2 for their craptastic decisions for PC.

I vote with my wallet.

heh Doesn't that work both ways? Don't buy stuff to punish bad design decisions, but do buy stuff to reward good ones? By improving upon all of the points you listed as flaws, shouldn't they be rewarded for good effort towards the consumer with a purchase? Seems a little one-sided if "voting with your wallet" means "abstaining from all future purchases from your company indefinitely, regardless of how you improve your products." Not that I'm saying you should rush out and buy it or anything... but it doesn't seem like your system would work too well if there were only punishments.

Also, sorry for saying @Mac instead of @Mav. I don't usually screw people's name up, it kinda bothers me when I do.

@Everyone looking to buy: New people looking at the game shouldn't be dissuaded by this old stuff. The Guild Wars stands as the cornerstone that I judge all online RPG's by. I've been with the game from the beginning, and the only other online RPG to hold me more than a week or two was WoW at 2 months. Unless there's just some core aspect of the game design that you're strictly opposed to (instancing for instance... heheh), then it might not be the game for you. Otherwise it's one of the best gaming investments I've ever made. I was buying two of each brand new too (CE with Nightfall), not at the cost of these sales.

gzsfrk
12-19-2009, 11:52 PM
A+ response there, CT. Spot on on all points. At $15, anyone who has the slightest interest in western-style RPGs is doing themselves a major disservice by not picking this up and trying it out.

Sensei-X
12-20-2009, 03:13 AM
If you get this as a Christmas gift from a friend, that person is not your friend.

Mav
12-20-2009, 08:43 PM
If you get this as a Christmas gift from a friend, that person is not your friend.

This. Multiplied over 9000.

Anenome
12-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Which is worse, buying this for a friend, or the 1-year subscription to WoW I gifted to Johan? <_<;;;