PDA

View Full Version : FFXIII Receives Early Review From Famitsu

pwnophobia
12-09-2009, 06:52 AM
http://evavhost.com/i/news/final-fantasy-xiii.jpg

Famitsu has given FFXIII a 39/40 citing that the game doesn't really take off until midgame but offers something for veteran and new players. You can check out what Famitsu had to say about FFXIII in the quotes alone or read the whole article at 1UP (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177241).

"The battle system is innovative and has a lot of strategic elements. Being able to rewind back to just before the current battle is really nice."

---

"Without a doubt, the state of the art in story cutscenes" and the battle system: "It's built both for beginners and seasoned players. Things proceed speedily and since you're always rated, every battle has a sense of tension to it. The ability to switch Optimas instantly and use a wide variety of skills and magic simultaneously in battle is exhilarating."

---

"Given the quality all around, it's a bit of a shame that the story is a straight path until the midgame," editor Yamamoto Penki (the guy who gave it 9/10) wrote. "I'm also concerned about the lack of [gameplay] gimmicks before the midpoint." (Yamamoto's issue with the lack of story freedom was echoed by another reviewer, too.)

Do/Would you question the magazine if they gave Bayonetta (among others) a perfect score and didn't give FFXIII one or are you reserving judgment until you play the games?

Dag-Sabot
12-09-2009, 07:35 AM
I don't trust "early" reviews.

Hydroeric
12-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Sounds like both games are awesome. Personally I will get more enjoyment out of Final Fantasy than Bayonetta (though the demo was fun) but I prefer RPG's to Action games.

A review is an opinion and they have a right to have one.

JazGalaxy
12-09-2009, 07:38 AM
This FF sounds far from perfect. The complaints they cite seem valid, and from looking at the previews and whatnot I would have a whole lot more.

Taiso
12-09-2009, 07:39 AM
I'm reserving final judgement on Bayonetta based on the fact that the demo is graphically beautiful but a muddy, indecipherable mess gameplay wise. This is NOT what I was expecting out of some of the design staff that gave us Devil May Cry but it's just a demo and sometimes you have to play a game for a little bit before you really begin to see its true potential.

Sounds like it's going to be the same way with FF XIII from what the Famitsu reviewer says but it doesn't matter because I'm likely going to take a pass unless the mere act of inserting the game into the console somehow cures Cancer and Diabetes at the same time. Personally, I'm pretty much tapped out on the FF series. I don't think I can handle another 40-60 hours of 'emo Japanese kids save the world', and that's exactly what this is looking like it's going to be. Good on you if it's your thing. It's not mine anymore.

I'd like to see Square-Enix make a RPG based off Berserk or some similarly gritty fantasy story. Just a bloody, violent, hardcore DARK fantasy game and not this J-pop/J-rock pablum they've been serving up since FF VIII (which I liked because it was really the first of its kind that I can remember.) They went from being innovaters in the genre to being sad, pale imitators of themselvers, IMO.

ElfShotTheFood
12-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Famitsu gives a really high score to a Japanese RPG? Amazing. :p

Worldcrafter
12-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Do/Would you question the magazine if they gave Bayonetta (among others) a perfect score and didn't give FFXIII one or are you reserving judgment until you play the games?
Eh, they're different games in different genres. Why compare their scores? And who cares if the score is one off from perfect? That's still an amazing score.

Did the reviewers enjoy playing the game? That's the important question. The complaints you quoted ring true for me with the FF series as of late; stale gameplay coupled with overly extravagant cut scenes. I was hoping for a new direction, something fresh, but I'm not going to trudge halfway through an RPG in the hopes it picks up.

abso
12-09-2009, 08:04 AM
They did give FF12 a perfect score, and it arguably had more issues that what I'm hearing about FF13. Truthfully though, I just don't trust game site/magazine reviews. I wait for people outside the gaming journalism industry tell me about the game.

TheBot
12-09-2009, 08:15 AM
I love 12, haven't beaten it yet. Can't wait for this and Vs. Buying both, no questions asked. I enjoy the games and love where they have come. I love being able to set my party members to do certain things(Also why I love DAO). Instead of a very, very turn based gameplay, it's less noticeable in newer RPGs.

Can't wait. Reviews don't do it for me. But I love my FF.

Opty
12-09-2009, 08:37 AM
How dare they give a high but not perfect score to a game I've never played when they gave a perfect score to a game I've never played!

rulyblue
12-09-2009, 08:58 AM
What is in a perfect score? Would you buy a game if a site gave it a rating of 9.5 and not buy it if the rating was 9.0? What is in reputation? Does a 7.5 from a game site you like trump an 9.0 from another site?

Johan
12-09-2009, 09:21 AM
I think as an experiment some site should have a group of monkeys roll dice to obtain random scores for games. Then we can compare the average score from the monkeys with those of a selected set of professional sites and see the difference.

Yes. See the difference. There will be one. Right?

Oh, and to account for the statistical probability of higher scores, the dice, or whatever number-generating system we utilize, will need to skew towards the higher end of the scale slightly.

EvilBob46
12-09-2009, 09:40 AM
1) Famitsu is not a reliable review source, and often its reviews/praise/complaints are totally different from those in the western games media
2) Final Fantasy XIII will be fucking awesome and is going to get a metacritic of 90+ when it hits the US
3) .

doogz23
12-09-2009, 09:57 AM
I wanted to comment on the 'linear' aspect of the game...

Wasn't FFX linear through 1/2 of the game as well and has received renowned praise from both reviewers and players alike?

I've said it before, i love my FF and i will not miss this one either. Yes, biased, but wanted to throw this out there since it seemed to be the most prevalent negative in their review.

Syl
12-09-2009, 10:07 AM
The idea of a Linear RPG that opens up halfway sounds good to me.

That said, i don't care about famitsu review scores anymore. I really don't. I'll be buying FFXIII based on the pedigree of the final fantasy series. (With FFX being the only low point, still a good game - i just heavily disliked it.) Hell, i'll pre-order it and try to get any shiny extra i can.

oldjadedgamer
12-09-2009, 10:20 AM
They have gotten so bad with 40/40 reviews lately (like Nintendogs) that I simply dismiss every one of them now. I only read non-perfect reviews from them.

Froggy
12-09-2009, 10:20 AM
I think as an experiment some site should have a group of monkeys roll dice to obtain random scores for games. Then we can compare the average score from the monkeys with those of a selected set of professional sites and see the difference.

Yes. See the difference. There will be one. Right?

Oh, and to account for the statistical probability of higher scores, the dice, or whatever number-generating system we utilize, will need to skew towards the higher end of the scale slightly.

They can roll D4s and we'll assign values of 7-10.

Froggy
12-09-2009, 10:23 AM
How dare they give a high but not perfect score to a game I've never played when they gave a perfect score to a game I've never played!

This. +10 INT.

Kragg
12-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Eh, I'm sure FFXIII will be a great game, but early reviews are for the birds.

Anenome
12-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Almost every Final Fantasy game has an intro portion which puts you on a defined path and introduces areas to you long before you meet Sid, etc., and obtain the ability to travel freely to wrap up loose ends. Frankly, it works, and it's one of my favorite RPG tropes and more games should follow suit.

As for this game, it's gonna be a great game, I'm not worried ;)

lallous
12-09-2009, 10:39 AM
I should start getting into the FF series :(

XiaNaphryz
12-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Considering the generally extremely positive impressions people have given Bayonetta who have played the import, the 40/40 score it go isn't completely out of the question.

D_Reaper
12-09-2009, 11:28 AM
I wanted to comment on the 'linear' aspect of the game...

Wasn't FFX linear through 1/2 of the game as well and has received renowned praise from both reviewers and players alike?

I've said it before, i love my FF and i will not miss this one either. Yes, biased, but wanted to throw this out there since it seemed to be the most prevalent negative in their review.

FFX was extremely linear, you basically spend 80% if the game running north. Then you get the airship to check out side places.

Earth Djinn
12-09-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm actually looking forward to this. I'm particularly psyched for Bayonetta though. That demo was awesome and totally sold me on the game.

Duskfire
12-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Lost Odyssey was semi-similiar too; quite linear until at one point in the game it just opened up and gave you the freedom to explore. Personally I think its a great idea for a RPG; establish character and settings and plot before giving the player a billion options.

Anenome
12-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Lost Odyssey was semi-similiar too; quite linear until at one point in the game it just opened up and gave you the freedom to explore. Personally I think its a great idea for a RPG; establish character and settings and plot before giving the player a billion options.
That's why it works. They do two things at once by making you run around on the world-map first.
A. give you a context to connect to the map, and a history with various areas. You know what it's like to be there, what the city was like, what story elements you experienced there.
B. Tease you with areas you simply can't get to yet.

Here's a strange thought: I wonder if Zelda II would've been improved by giving you the ability to mass-travel on the world map in a similar way :P What sort of flying zelda-mobile could possibly exist in that universe? :P

Methos
12-09-2009, 05:15 PM
That's why it works. They do two things at once by making you run around on the world-map first.
A. give you a context to connect to the map, and a history with various areas. You know what it's like to be there, what the city was like, what story elements you experienced there.
B. Tease you with areas you simply can't get to yet.

Someone buy this man a drink and give him a cigar! I'm a lover of all kinds of RPGs, it's my favorite genre. One of the strengths of the JPRG is it's characters, and when they are done right (Kaim/LO; Auron/FFX; anyone from Vesperia) they truly come to life. Done poorly however (Just about everyone in SO4) and it really detracts from the whole experience.

PS3 Shiny Collectors Edition please with the strategy guide so thick it would hurt a dog if it fell on him.