PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Gamer: What are you playing?

Jetherik
11-27-2009, 09:25 AM
http://evavhost.com/i/news/weekend_gamer.jpg

While the US finished Thanksgiving and is now out stimulating the economy with Black Friday, there is one main question I want to ask: do other countries have what retailiers call a Black Friday? If so, when is it? Who has gone out and shop today, what did you buy? And the usual question: What are you playing this weekend?

TheBot
11-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Dragon Age...but getting rocked by dark spawn after an assassination attempt. Either I suck or it's too difficult at times. Ahwell, on to the next battle, huzzah!

saulob
11-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Old games like Blacksite Area 51 :)
Not a nice game at all :(

And Rainbow Six Vegas 1.

Caerim
11-27-2009, 09:45 AM
I picked up CoD:MW2 for a good price (sub 40$ CDN) so I'll be playing that this weekend. Maybe going to check out Ninja Assassin (more like Non-ja!)

Syloney
11-27-2009, 10:01 AM
No Black Friday here in the UK.
Did some major House cleaning, came across my all time classic.
I'm definitely gonna be playing them.

Seven Kingdoms - Ancient A. & MDK

Snipee
11-27-2009, 10:10 AM
WoW, GoW1 and resident evil: darkside. Busy busy game time for sure. Prolly some MW2 on 360 as well.

bean19
11-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Dragon Age
Chrono Trigger (DS)
Magna Carta 2 (Xbox 360) - on it's way from Gamefly anyway, I expect to play it.
Dragon Age...but getting rocked by dark spawn after an assassination attempt. Either I suck or it's too difficult at times. Ahwell, on to the next battle, huzzah!
I kind of like the intense difficulty. One thing that helps immensely is to get Wynne in your party. You can get her by (spoiler): going to the mage tower. Having her as a dedicated healer helps immensely. Also, be sure to set her up so that she uses Lyrium potions when she is out of mana. Other than that; save often.

Phokal
11-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Assassin's Creed 2. I really enjoyed the first game, but this one is just amazing. Every annoyance from the first game has been fixed (more instant kills with every weapon, more variety, story missions that push you along, an economy and upgrades).

Basically, all the buttons always do something. Grab someone with B, and now you can do more than throw them. You can knee them in the gut, punch them in the face, or headbutt them, too. Or, have a weapon equipped? They are now a human shield, or you can cut their throat. Someone on the ground? You are prompted to instant-kill instead of just whaling on them.

The disadvantage of this is the game feels a bit easy (like the first, too). There are some enemies that are semi-immune to counter kills, but there are so many other options available now you can still defeat almost everyone in a combat situation (rarely are you forced to run).

The only thing I miss are the random strong Templars scattered around the map who would occasionally join a random fight and make things interesting.

rulyblue
11-27-2009, 10:28 AM
In Canada Boxing Day (Dec 26th) is the same as black friday.

Angband for me.

brandonjclark
11-27-2009, 11:15 AM
League of Legends! That game is a blast, and the kids love it, too.

Hawkbat
11-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Dragon Age - really is a great RPG.

docfate
11-27-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm at the end of STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl.

And I've run out of med-kits. I'm so close to the end I can almost taste it.

Stupid game.

Emabulator
11-27-2009, 01:36 PM
I've been playing ARMA II, Modern Warfare 2, Live for Speed and Torchlight.

laggerific
11-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. Such a classic, but I never got as far as meeting Lando. I also thought the engine would seem too dated, but even when hacking in widescreen support, it looks great. The mouthwork is a little stilted, but I really like the inclusion of teeth. And it runs like butter. Also, compared to the recent Sith game, I think this one just feels better. The force powers are subtle, as one would expect, except the electricity, still...

And to have Billy Dee playing Lando...so good. I really wish they could have gotten Mark Hamill to play himself...that would have been sweet. He does such fine voicework, like in Batman and Full Throttle.

That said...

ROM
11-27-2009, 03:55 PM
I am out to break some nostalgia time this weekend.
I will be playing...
Dark Sector
Stubbs the Zombie
Dungeon Keeper 2
and then some Generals Zero Hour.

As for your Black Friday, here in Australia, at this time of the year, we get bombarded with all these Christmas Sales.
You know, those sales where all store owners clean off all their stock and mark everything up 40% and then they put it all back and have a 25-30% of everything sale. haha!!

Grumsh
11-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Dragon Age
Chrono Trigger (DS)
Magna Carta 2 (Xbox 360) - on it's way from Gamefly anyway, I expect to play it.

I kind of like the intense difficulty. One thing that helps immensely is to get Wynne in your party. You can get her by (spoiler): going to the mage tower. Having her as a dedicated healer helps immensely. Also, be sure to set her up so that she uses Lyrium potions when she is out of mana. Other than that; save often.

I am playing all over again this time as an Elven Rogue. I had about 40 hours into the game as a Mage, and came to the conclusion I made poor spell selections. * Character build spoilers *Animate Dead is fairly worthless, so is the ability that allows you to get mana when corpses are nearby. They might be semi useful in the beginning when fighting swarms fo weaker enemies, but on single tough fights they are useless. Needless to say my second play through is going very well in comparison spoiler I just cleared out the undead invasion in Redcliffe and I am not even bothering to use a healer as of yet.

Cannot emphasize enough redoing Wynnes tactics and making her a pure healer, she is specced for it, and does an admirable job if you redo her tactics.

Ulysses
11-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Rebellion and some EVE.

gzsfrk
11-27-2009, 05:37 PM
I've been playing "rush to the bathroom once every hour" since 5am this morning. Fortunately, it's only been the single-player campaign so far (PLEASE God don't let my little 4yo and 8mo baby girls catch this).

Demo_Boy
11-27-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm hittin Madballs in Babo:Invasion (Steam) all weekend because its for sale for 2 bux today, so there's tons of players playing the Horde mode, and collecting skin unlocks playing PVP on the dedicated servers.

MrE
11-27-2009, 07:13 PM
I'll be killing Zombies in the Dr. Ned expansion for Borderlands, followed by some more Zombie killing with L4D2. And, just so I don't burn out on even more zombies, I'll play some Dragon Age so I can feel frustrated yet again by how much I suck at this game.

Johan
11-27-2009, 07:34 PM
I've been playing "rush to the bathroom once every hour" since 5am this morning. Fortunately, it's only been the single-player campaign so far (PLEASE God don't let my little 4yo and 8mo baby girls catch this).

What do you know; I've been playing a similar game myself! I started my short Thanksgiving break on Wednesday morning by waking up sick, and have spent the rest of it slowly, slowly improving. :(

Not a fun game, but I've played a whole mess of sequels to it in my life.

TeeCakes
11-27-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm blazing through Live a Live (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_A_Live) on my ZNES quickly before the 4-day nonstop work fest hits me starting tomorrow afternoon :(

gzsfrk
11-27-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm blazing through Live a Live (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_A_Live) on my ZNES quickly before the 4-day nonstop work fest hits me starting tomorrow afternoon :(

That sounds and looks really cool. I've been following unofficial SNES translations for years and somehow never heard of this one. I'll have to see if I can find it and try it out.

gzsfrk
11-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Old games like Blacksite Area 51 :)
Not a nice game at all :(

And Rainbow Six Vegas 1.

I picked up Blacksite a few weeks ago for $7. I always thought the demo was kind of cool, so surely it will be worth at least that. Man, I love $7 games at Game Crazy. :)

TeeCakes
11-27-2009, 08:30 PM
That sounds and looks really cool. I've been following unofficial SNES translations for years and somehow never heard of this one. I'll have to see if I can find it and try it out.

Highly recommended! Each scenario feels like a different game, since each one was made by a unique design team-- so far I like the "Space Odyssey" scenario the best, despite it having very non-traditional RPG gameplay. (I seriously could spend all day on the mini-game in the break room alone!)

This (http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=lal) is the darn good English translation I'm using from Aeon-Genesis (http://agtp.romhack.net), I'm sure you won't have problems getting ahold of any other essentials.

Divorced
11-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Some Forza 3, Dragon Age, MW2 (I really suck bad at shooters on consoles. Can't even get past the tutorial!), Need for Speed Shift and maybe even some WoW!

thejeromer
11-28-2009, 12:28 AM
I've been working on my third playthrough of <i>Mass Effect</i>, this time on Insanity difficulty. Gotta' finish it well before <i>ME2</i> comes out.

thejeromer
11-28-2009, 12:29 AM
...working on my third playthrough of <i>Mass Effect</i>

omg total fail.

TheBot
11-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Dragon Age
Chrono Trigger (DS)

Don't have her yet, about 12hrs into the game. It just seems like when I wanted to go to this one spot I would win the assass. attempt and be good, get to the refugees and there's like 15 darkspawn + the orange con so basically just died real quick. I went a different way, instead of that way and am still playing, but that sucked, just wiped out many times. Now I want to play and I'm at work!

Hawkbat
11-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Speaking of dragon age, has anyone else had the loading screen that says "If all else fails, go for the eyes!"? Thought it was a nice BG reference...